Start by marking “Uninsured in America: Life and Death in the Land of Opportunity” as Want to Read:
Uninsured in America: Life and Death in the Land of Opportunity

Uninsured in America: Life and Death in the Land of Opportunity

Uninsured in America goes to the heart of why more than forty million Americans are falling through the cracks in the health care system, and what it means for society as a whole when so many people suffer the consequences of inadequate medical care. Based on interviews with 120 uninsured men and women and dozens of medical providers, policymakers, and advocates from aroun ...more
Published October 16th 2006 by University of California Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Uninsured in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uninsured in America

Lobstergirl
This is about as depressing as a book can be, but it will be eye-opening only to those who know little about America's healthcare system or our hole-filled safety net - perhaps someone like a Rudy Giuliani. It's not particularly well written. The cliches fly fast and furious until Chapter 11, when it abruptly feels like someone who actually writes about policy for a living has taken over. (The two authors' division of labor explains it.)
Tannya
Jan 27, 2008 Tannya added it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Excellent, excellent, excellent book. It is required so I have to read it, but it is a page turner so far. I am about half way through. The premise of the book is what is so excellent. Honestly for me it is inspiring me more than any other book, or any other suggestions from the church to be organized and prepared for the future. It chronicles middle class families from 7-10 different stated (Texas, Idaho, Mississippi, Illinois, Washington etc.) that have gone through job loss, healthcare emerge ...more
Lauren
Jul 06, 2011 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Honestly? This book made me feel sick to my stomach. I probably would have cried had I not been at work (a job which, by the way, does not offer health insurance; and before anyone gets snarky about me reading at the office, I was on break, so there). It's sobering and scary. What horribly fucked up priorities and perceptions we have in this country.

The updated version was published in 2006, before 'Obamacare' was even a possibility. I would be curious to read what the authors have to say about
Kristi
Aug 15, 2007 Kristi rated it really liked it
Shelves: fourstars, nonfiction
As many people know, health care in the US and the fact that millions of Americans can't afford decent medical care is a big issue going into the election this fall. This book is a truly excellent look at exactly what it means to be uninsured in the land of the free. Who is uninsured? The urban, the rural, the small business owners, those caught sick between jobs, those in college. This book is filled with real life examples and shows how one small accident can ruin your life in the US where the ...more
Mel
Aug 22, 2007 Mel rated it liked it
Who has no insurance? The urban, the rural, the small business owners, those caught sick between jobs, those in college (where we all spend more and more time, as we build our "knowledge economy." What happens? A downward spiral of worsening health leading to disability to work due to illness coupled with growing medical bills, followed by bodily markings (yellow skin, bad teeth) that interfere with the ability to get a job, followed by death. Uninsured in America? Get sick, get worse, and die. ...more
Sara
Oct 14, 2007 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Depressing, frustrating, real. Not a ton of surprises here, but good, solid facts to back up your otherwise unfocused rant about health care and general administrative responsibility in this country. Now you can be specific.
Iga
May 24, 2008 Iga rated it liked it
Theme: Employer-based health insurance is one big conflict of interest. A stunning, contmeporary, ethnographic piece on how Americans are struggling to receive health services with or without insurance.
Christopher
Jan 21, 2017 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book regardless of political leanings. Perhaps then we could work toward bringing our nation's healthcare costs down and health indicators up to levels in line with the rest of the developed world.
Caroline
Jul 30, 2010 Caroline rated it it was amazing
I read this book for a class last spring ("US Health Disparities"), and I found it extremely informative and particularly pertinent in the midst of our country's healthcare crisis.
Tina (Bettina)
Apr 12, 2012 Tina (Bettina) rated it really liked it
Good book to understand how the lack of insurance impacts families from a variety of socio-economic backgrounds.
Tom
Jan 02, 2009 Tom rated it really liked it
Shelves: commentary
I found it hard not feel shame and rage as I read the cases in this book.
Sara
Jul 25, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, library
Well-researched, well-written, heart-breaking.
Agachi
Agachi rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Scott Zwierzchowski
Scott Zwierzchowski rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2017
Kristina
Kristina rated it liked it
May 22, 2008
Molly Rood
Molly Rood rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Katherine
Katherine rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2012
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2012
Mia
Mia rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2013
Ramon Leon
Ramon Leon rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
Kelley
Kelley rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2010
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2010
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Rath
Rath rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2009
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2009
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2008
Jimmy Holman
Jimmy Holman rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2009
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2008
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2007
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2009