Start by marking “Devil Creek” as Want to Read:
Devil Creek

Devil Creek

What is your greatest fear? For Aislin, it is the fear of being alone. She grew up in and out of foster care along with her brother, Declan. When he is killed by an IED blast while serving in Afghanistan, she leans on her brother's best friend, Gabriel. The two become inseparable.

When she catches her fiancée in bed with another girl? She isn’t even that upset. Mad as hell?
Published December 23rd 2013 by Createspace (first published December 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Devil Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil Creek

Emmy
Mar 23, 2014 Emmy rated it did not like it
Just can't do it. So many, many issues. I'll just bullet point them.
1. Present tense writing. But which also included past and future tense.
2. Slut shaming. Like a lot. And in the first 20 pages.
3. Unlikable characters
4. Abusive relationship
5. But mostly just comes down to poor writing. Odd descriptions, confusing/misleading word choices, weird sentence structures, etc.
Megan
Jan 02, 2014 Megan rated it liked it
I was actually really looking forward to reading this book, and I was perhaps a little bit disappointed.
The story idea is fantastic, and I really loved how many little twists and turns the author attempted to take. Unfortunately it felt like so much time was spent building the background, that the ending was basically a forgone conclusion and just happened with not much really leading up to it.
I absolutely loved both Aislin and Gabe, they were fantastic characters, both were super strong and l
Jayzel Javier
Jan 11, 2014 Jayzel Javier rated it really liked it
I'm hooked in this book and I LOVE IT!!
I like that Ms. Casey includes both viewpoints of Mac and Gabe, it helps me to deeply understand both of them and connects me to them. I felt their anger, frustration, happiness, and a lot more. I got emotional to some scenes. And sometimes I want to smack Gabe and Mac in the head for being an idiot, but I still love both of them... :>

I noticed that it needs some editing and I would really like to know when an event happened in the story(if it is day, no
Christina
Jan 22, 2014 Christina rated it it was amazing
Omg Casey! I am absolutely in love with this book! I felt so bad for Aislin, she has a scrappy past and her fiancee cheats on her! What a freaking douche! But of course you have HOT SCORCHING Gabe! Best friend to Aislin "Mac" brother Declan, Mac lost Declan to war. Have is there to protect her.. well he's supposed to anyways.. lol but Gabe doesn't see her as a little sister.. can he man up and take what he wants? This book had me up ,down, shoot it had me all around!! I mean one minute I was lik ...more
Dianne
Jan 20, 2014 Dianne rated it liked it
3.25 stars. I felt like the synopsis is very misleading. First, it seems that she had more feelings for Tyler then it was made seemed. She wasn't as mad as they synopsis said she was. Secondly,(view spoiler)(view spoiler) ...more
Jöel Gerber
May 14, 2014 Jöel Gerber rated it it was amazing
This book, the moment I got it, I opened it up and started reading it. It drew me in and I could not put it down. This by far, is one of the best books in which I have read. The plot, synopsis and story-line are nothing short of amazing. The walk-through of love blossoming from friendship and companionship and the phases of life in which we all go through were simply breath-taking. The imagery in this story was astounding as well. I loved the flow of it and how a lot of people could relate to th ...more
Annemarie
Jan 17, 2014 Annemarie rated it really liked it
free on amazon till 1/17
I liked it, I like romance with a bit of mystery. What I didn't like was trying to keep up with all the characters, Example: Jaxon...why? I couldn't remember if he was a friend a cousin or ?? I like love triangles I mean why not right?? but this was a love SQUARE! even her Gay friend Cameron wanted "tap that" hmmm. There's a lot going on here in Devils Creek! Bro fist to Casey L.Bond for choosing Antonella as a character name! that's my sisters name! however we call her
Shelli Rosewarne
Jan 16, 2014 Shelli Rosewarne rated it it was ok
I thought the premise of this book was really good, but overall ended up feeling a bit disappointed with it. It had the potential to do a lot more.

If you read the blurb/synopsis that's basically the whole story there. There was a huge amount of buildup, a lot of secondary characters and a great deal of detail on minor details like outfits people were wearing. I did initially like the main characters, Aislin or 'Mac' has completely horrendous taste in men, but she was a sparky and tough character
Jo Michaels
Dec 27, 2013 Jo Michaels rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who love romance or coming-of-age tales that make you want to choke men in general
I received an ARC from the author because I was one of the beta-readers for this book. I can assure you, all opinions are my own and honest. I'm not usually a fan of romance, but this book reads a lot like a coming-of-age story for the MC so I got into it. Enough rambling, let's get to the good stuff!

From a Reader's Perspective:
Devil Creek is told from two viewpoints: Aislin, the main female, and Gabe, the main male. Ms. Bond was wise to write it this way, because you get a deeper insight into w
Jeri
Feb 10, 2014 Jeri rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was given a copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review. Here it is:

I loved the storyline of this book! It was a friendship turned on again, off again romance that follows two people from adolescence to adulthood. It sometimes left you feeling like you wanted to just grab Gabe up and slap some sense and realization into him, but what man doesn't at some point lol! Aislin was a sweet girl with a heart of gold that had to make it through some very tough things in her life, that I'
Gypsy Madden
Jul 03, 2014 Gypsy Madden rated it really liked it
This was a hard story to read with the topics of abuse and rape and Aislin seemed to be a magnet for those types of relationships with Gabe being almost the only decent man in her life and as audience, I kept asking myself why he didn't just go for the relationship with the idea that he could save her from the abusers out there. I mean, when weighed on each hand, saving her from himself would definitely be the lesser. Both Gabe and Aislin were engaging, sympathetic, likeable, realistic character ...more
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
*Anytime I rate a book with a half star, I round up to the next highest star for sites such as goodreads, amazon, b&n...

Add this book to a long line of books that I have read and kept waiting for the vamps or weres to show up in. I really need to get a hang on this whole "reading blurbs better" thing. Halfway through and nothing paranormal is happening I begin to come to terms that I have duped myself once again. But who can blame me...the cover and title alone scream paranormal, right? Righ
Ashley Parker
Feb 28, 2014 Ashley Parker rated it liked it
At 70% read, I am putting this book away. I have been reading it for a week and just can't get into it. I do not like the writers style AT ALL. The characters are okay, and the storyline may be more enjoyable if so much time wasn't spent on meaningless details. I'm not going to give the book 1 star, because, well, that's just mean, and I don't hate the book... It's just not for me.

Also, I would like to point out that there is no type of paranormal twist in this book WHAT-SO-EVER.
Melody
Mar 04, 2014 Melody rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It's a great story of two people finding each other and surviving the ups and downs of relationships. I loved the descriptions of WV. I thought this book was authentic in its portrayal of our beautiful state and I loved the characters. Go Mountaineers!! ;). Also it kept me reading until 0230. I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen.
Julianna
I was not a huge fan of this book. It was almost a DNF for me but i struggled through. The story just did not seem to flow well for me and there was some jumping around. Some of the most dramatic moments that should have had some time put into them just seemed kind of glossed over, and then we would have detail about surroundings or even cups or something that was just not necessary. The ending also just seemed so rushed that that didn't even make it any better. I couldn't even have any real emo ...more
Cat
Jan 18, 2014 Cat rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-freebie
Aislin...was okay as a character. Gabe, on the other hand was completely ridiculous.

**skip next line to avoid mild spoiler**
GROW UP! Do you really think running away and causing misery to yourself and everyone around you is the best solution? ARGH.
**END SPOILER**

Anyhow, I thought the story was too predictable and Aislin's actions were forced to make the story work. For someone so practical, buying a house in the middle of nowhere with no income to speak of just doesn't make sense.

No developing
Cristie Alleman
Jun 12, 2014 Cristie Alleman rated it it was amazing
Devil Creek Draws you in!!

Casey did a great job in writing this book.. I loved how you get both
Aislin and Gabe's point of view..

Aislin and Gabe are best friends and have always been there for each other. When Gabe gets back from Afghanistan and Aislin breaks up with Ty, things start to change between them. They are beginning to see each other in a different light. Gabe feels like he is breaking the promise he made to Declan before he died to protect Aislin. .. From there we are sent on an emo
Rachel
Jan 31, 2014 Rachel rated it it was ok
The whole book felt rushed. Lots of plot points that should have been explained more. It had a lot of entertaining parts, but it felt like it was all incredibly surface level. It was frequently hard to follow because of the constant narrator changing. The whole book switches tenses frequently and makes it hard to follow.
Hajar
Feb 20, 2014 Hajar rated it it was ok
I am not totally into this book. there is too much stories too tell and sometimes i get confused whose the him/her part.I really like Aislin character and how survival she is. I like reading falling in love with brothers best friend theme but this one is totally caput~
Evan
Jan 22, 2014 Evan rated it really liked it
I loved this book and how the characters interacted and developed. I fell in love with Gabe from the beginning. It was a wonderful journey and it made me run through a full list of emotions. I truly enjoyed this book and was sad to see it end. The ending was perfect though. I wasn't able to put this down and read the entire thing in a day on my kindle. Great book.
Melisa
Jan 17, 2014 Melisa rated it liked it
For the most part I did enjoy this book. HOWEVER, I felt like there were characters/parts of the book that were just filler. Like the auction. Was that necessary? What did Gabe do with date he won?

On top of that, I had unanswered questions. What happened while Gabe was gone?????

I liked it. It filled empty space. Will I read it again? Probably not.
Kathy Harrington
Jan 24, 2014 Kathy Harrington rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
Wow, talk about twisted tales. 3 friends, 2 go to war, one comes back vowing to protect the other. Fast forward, add a crazy friend and a man who're boyfriend and you have this tale. But can a girl and her protector fall in love? Well you'll have to read and find out.
Lindsay Paige
I will be reading more by Bond.

Enjoyed this and almost groaned when I had to stop reading to go to class. Thought about it on my way home too. So needless to say, I haven't done any homework yet because I was reading. I enjoyed the different POVs and the way the story was told. It really helped me get into the minds of more than just Gabe and Aislin to understand why certain things were happening.

Overall, a good read and I loved this one part at the end especially. I thought it was so ridiculou
Marsha
Sep 25, 2014 Marsha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Devil Creek by Casey L. Bond is a wonderfully written book. There are a few editing errors in my edition, but not enough to effect the story. This book is written in third person point of view, which is almost unheard of in the books that I read, but it is done so very professionally that I was thrilled to see everything from outside the action. I was totally drawn into the story line and think this would make a terrific movie. All of the characters had such complete back ground stories, it was ...more
Jen
Feb 17, 2014 Jen rated it it was amazing
I had a hard putting down this book it was easy to lose yourself in. I am looking forward to reading another book from Casey.
Faith
May 10, 2014 Faith rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books, paperback
This was a very intriguing read, Casey Bond sets the stage with descriptive writing and engaging characters.

At times heart wrenching, you can't help but root for Mac (Aislin) and Gabe. The secondary characters helped set the scene.

I felt a lot of different emotions while reading this book, Ms. Bond wrote a compelling story, that I was quite happy to read.
Carey
Jan 22, 2014 Carey rated it liked it
Good storyline, I liked the way it was written, until the last few chapters. Lots of details and situations, but It was like the author gave up and just cut to the chase to finish.
My Bookbag by Karen
I like this novel about love, heartbreak, and acceptance. Set in rural West Virginia, this story delivers a sense of community, old and new friendships, and the story of unconventional family. It also contains suspense and some violence.

It has lovable characters who face life, the highs and the lows. Aislin, the female protagonist, has experienced a lot of hard knocks. The history of her life includes abandonment, abuse, betrayal, loss, and heartbreak. She works continually to overcome and perse
Kelly
Dec 30, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome from beginning,middle and end.

A great read. Highly recommended this book. Devil Creek is a well written book. You really can connect with all the characters in the book,they draw you in! From the very 1st chapter to the last, you can't put it down. There is nothing that I disliked about this book.
Can't wait to read more books by Casey Bond.
Deirdre
Feb 20, 2014 Deirdre rated it liked it
Casey Bond takes the reader from a relaxing yoga class to a wild ride of emotional ups and downs as Aislin graduates college and moves escapes one bad situation only to land in another. Bond hardly leaves room for the reader to catch their breath as Aislin faces challenges with courage and strength. The pace is quick, action packed, and the characters real and raw. Oh and Gabe!
Note - the editing could be improved, but the story is compelling enough to keep reading.
  • Irresistible Lies
  • My Love at Last
  • The Darkest Secret
  • Sarah Smile (Halos & Horns, #2)
  • Desire Had A Name (Bad Baker Boys, #2)
  • Falling Harder (Undeserving of Love #2)
  • Heart Strung
  • Nico (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Pulse (Club Grit Trilogy, #1)
  • Healing Wounds (Scott/Price Family #1)
  • Gentle Curves (Dangerous Curves #4)
  • Blind Rage (Team Red, #4)
  • Eye of the Abductor
  • Last Rites (Lucy Hart, Rites, #1)
  • Forever Mine
  • Lord of Regrets
  • Asking For Trouble
  • Homeward Bound
Award-winning author Casey L. Bond resides in Milton, West Virginia with her husband and their two beautiful daughters. When she’s not busy being a domestic goddess and chasing her baby girls, she loves to write young adult and new adult fiction.

You can find more information about Bond’s books via the following links:
Website: www.authorcaseybond.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/authorcaseybond
Twitt
More about Casey L. Bond...