Slow Food Revolution: A New Culture for Eating and Living

Slow Food Revolution: A New Culture for Eating and Living

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Founded in Italy in 1986 by charismatic Italian gourmand Carlo Petrini, Slow Food has grown into a phenomenally successful movement against the uniformity and compromised quality of fast food and supermarket chains. With nearly 85,000 members in 45 countries around the world, Slow Food has developed from a small, grassroots group into the most influential gastronomic movem...more
Published October 17th 2006 by Rizzoli (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Slow Food Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Food Revolution

Stumbling Toward Faith by Renee N. AltsonA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinInto Thin Air by Jon KrakauerThe Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverA Fragile Stone by Michael Card
2013 C
6th out of 100 books — 4 voters
Buddha's Brain by Rick HansonCoffins on Our Shoulders by Dan RabinowitzThrive Fitness by Brendan BrazierCracking the Code by Thom HartmannA Mindful Nation by Tim Ryan
2013 D
31st out of 52 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike
This book gives some interesting background information on the emergence of the Slow Food movement and its founder, Carlo Petrini. It's heartening to see a grassroots movement like Slow Food take off and become a big deal. My only complaint is that I wanted to hear more about how everyday people can get involved with Slow Food, whereas this book talked more about the galas, parties, and famous people associated with the movement. That and I feel like I could never afford some of the crazy foods...more
Melissa
Of all the Slow Food publications, this one is the best to understand how Slow Food came about. However, I don't know if it's the translation from Italian to English or just Petrini's writing style, but the writing is dense. A lot of detail as well. Really worth the read for those interested in the topic or those who are interested in social revolutions, but others might not find it at all interesting.
molly
Dec 15, 2007 molly marked it as could-not-finish
Honestly? I got to page 12. That's how bad the writing and/or translation was. I'm interested in the Slow Food movement, but will find out information from a source that can actually write. There were so many organization and individual names listed by page 5 that I wanted to throw the damn thing across the room. Plus, the authors can't keep a train of thought going for more than a paragraph at a time.
Hande
This book was constructed as a chronological timeline of events that led to the establishment of the movement, with little anecdotes dispersed in between. If you want to know more about the revolution and the philosophy behind it (rather than Italian legislation and politics), begin from the end and read the testimonials by local farmers, fishermen, winemakers from around the world.
Katherine
This book was a history of the Slow Food movement, complete with many many many specific details about the political origins of Slow Food and its development to the global organization promoting heirlooom foods and breeds. I skimmed the last two thirds of the book. Trying to finish it was keeping me from reading.
Erika
Everyone who knows me knows how much I enjoy a slow cooked home meal or just good food in general. I grew up eating at the dinner table every night even if only one parent was present and only hot dog macaroni concoction. If its made with love that's all that really matters. I believe in the Slow Food Revolution.
Linds_e
Well, I can't exactly call this read. I more like flipped through it. I love food books and I love books about food politics, but I found this one to be kind of boring/pretentious. I might check it out again sometime to give it another try but it is due today.
Tara
The language and material was hard to get through some times; it wasn't an easy bedtime book. However, the information was fascinating! Reading through the Presidia in the back was particularly interesting.
John
If you're looking for Slow Food inspiration, then this is not the book for you. If you have a passing interest in the politics in Italy a few decades ago, it might be.
Chris Wells
I like the ideals of the movement, but this history was a little too boring for me. I couldn't really finish it.
Tara
Aug 13, 2009 Tara marked it as to-read
Shelves: on-hold
For some reason, even though I am so interested in the topic, I can not deal with reading this book.
Michele
A bible for the movement - but definitely more or a history book than an engrossing read
Gabriella Campbell
Gabriella Campbell marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Monica
Monica added it
Sep 01, 2014
Greta Morgane
Greta Morgane marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Rachelle Ternier
Rachelle Ternier marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Estibaliz
Estibaliz is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2014
Burcu Başal
Burcu Başal marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Annie Morris
Annie Morris marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Allison Bailey
Allison Bailey marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Aygen
Aygen marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Erin Clements
Erin Clements marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
K Swill
K Swill marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Carlo Petrini, an Italian sociologist, is the founder of the international movement Slow Food (1989).
More about Carlo Petrini...
Slow Food Nation: Why Our Food Should Be Good, Clean, and Fair Slow Food: The Case for Taste (Arts and Traditions of the Table) Slow Food: Collected Thoughts on Taste, Tradition, and the Honest Pleasures of Food Terra Madre: Forging a New Global Network of Sustainable Food Communities Piedi nudi. Calcio e sesso, scopate e pallonate