Start by marking “Slow Food Revolution: A New Culture for Eating and Living” as Want to Read:
Slow Food Revolution: A New Culture for Eating and Living

Slow Food Revolution: A New Culture for Eating and Living

Founded in Italy in 1986 by charismatic Italian gourmand Carlo Petrini, Slow Food has grown into a phenomenally successful movement against the uniformity and compromised quality of fast food and supermarket chains. With nearly 85,000 members in 45 countries around the world, Slow Food has developed from a small, grassroots group into the most influential gastronomic movem ...more
Published October 17th 2006 by Rizzoli (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Slow Food Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Food Revolution

Stumbling Toward Faith by Renee N. AltsonA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinInto Thin Air by Jon KrakauerThe Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverA Fragile Stone by Michael Card
2013 C
100 books — 4 voters
Buddha's Brain by Rick HansonCoffins on Our Shoulders by Dan RabinowitzThrive Fitness by Brendan BrazierCracking the Code by Thom HartmannA Mindful Nation by Tim Ryan
2013 D
52 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa
Jan 09, 2009 Melissa rated it liked it
Of all the Slow Food publications, this one is the best to understand how Slow Food came about. However, I don't know if it's the translation from Italian to English or just Petrini's writing style, but the writing is dense. A lot of detail as well. Really worth the read for those interested in the topic or those who are interested in social revolutions, but others might not find it at all interesting.
molly
Sep 14, 2007 molly marked it as could-not-finish
Honestly? I got to page 12. That's how bad the writing and/or translation was. I'm interested in the Slow Food movement, but will find out information from a source that can actually write. There were so many organization and individual names listed by page 5 that I wanted to throw the damn thing across the room. Plus, the authors can't keep a train of thought going for more than a paragraph at a time.
Katherine
Jan 15, 2009 Katherine rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-fun
This book was a history of the Slow Food movement, complete with many many many specific details about the political origins of Slow Food and its development to the global organization promoting heirlooom foods and breeds. I skimmed the last two thirds of the book. Trying to finish it was keeping me from reading.
Hande
Aug 13, 2012 Hande rated it it was ok
This book was constructed as a chronological timeline of events that led to the establishment of the movement, with little anecdotes dispersed in between. If you want to know more about the revolution and the philosophy behind it (rather than Italian legislation and politics), begin from the end and read the testimonials by local farmers, fishermen, winemakers from around the world.
Erika
Mar 25, 2008 Erika rated it it was amazing
Everyone who knows me knows how much I enjoy a slow cooked home meal or just good food in general. I grew up eating at the dinner table every night even if only one parent was present and only hot dog macaroni concoction. If its made with love that's all that really matters. I believe in the Slow Food Revolution.
Linds_e
Apr 05, 2008 Linds_e rated it it was ok
Well, I can't exactly call this read. I more like flipped through it. I love food books and I love books about food politics, but I found this one to be kind of boring/pretentious. I might check it out again sometime to give it another try but it is due today.
Tara
Apr 10, 2011 Tara rated it liked it
The language and material was hard to get through some times; it wasn't an easy bedtime book. However, the information was fascinating! Reading through the Presidia in the back was particularly interesting.
C. Wells
Jun 02, 2009 C. Wells rated it it was ok
I like the ideals of the movement, but this history was a little too boring for me. I couldn't really finish it.
John
Feb 20, 2011 John rated it did not like it
If you're looking for Slow Food inspiration, then this is not the book for you. If you have a passing interest in the politics in Italy a few decades ago, it might be.
Tara
Jun 30, 2009 Tara marked it as to-read
Shelves: on-hold
For some reason, even though I am so interested in the topic, I can not deal with reading this book.
Linda L. Tomblin
Linda L. Tomblin rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Mara
Mara rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Traci
Traci rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2009
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2008
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2009
Danny Jones
Danny Jones rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2007
Todd
Todd rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2011
Corynn
Corynn rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2007
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2007
Renee
Renee rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2011
Jon Tillman
Jon Tillman rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2008
Fletcher
Fletcher rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2008
Carmelita
Carmelita rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2012
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2007
John
John rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2010
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2009
Rhonda Masse
Rhonda Masse rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Renewing America's Food Traditions: Saving and Savoring the Continent's Most Endangered Foods
  • Fields of Plenty: A Farmer's Journey in Search of Real Food and the People Who Grow It
  • It's a Long Road to a Tomato: Tales of an Organic Farmer Who Quit the Big City for the (Not So) Simple Life
  • The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved: Inside America's Underground Food Movements
  • Food Fight : The Citizen's Guide to a Food and Farm Bill
  • The Town That Food Saved: How One Community Found Vitality in Local Food
  • Slow is Beautiful: New Visions of Community, Leisure and Joie de Vivre
  • Food Not Lawns: How to Turn Your Yard Into a Garden and Your Neighborhood Into a Community
  • Organic Manifesto: How Organic Farming Can Heal Our Planet, Feed the World, and Keep Us Safe
  • Defending Beef: The Case for Sustainable Meat Production
  • The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Resource for Healthy Eating
  • Closing the Food Gap: Resetting the Table in the Land of Plenty
  • Bi-Rite Market's Eat Good Food: A Grocer's Guide to Shopping, Cooking & Creating Community Through Food
  • Full Moon Feast: Food and the Hunger for Connection
  • Naked Chocolate: The Astounding Truth About The World's Greatest Food
  • Diet for a Hot Planet: The Climate Crisis at the End of Your Fork and What You Can Do about It
  • Deeply Rooted: Unconventional Farmers in the Age of Agribusiness
  • Eat Here: Reclaiming Homegrown Pleasures in a Global Supermarket
Carlo Petrini, an Italian sociologist, is the founder of the international movement Slow Food (1989).
More about Carlo Petrini...