Start by marking “The Potter and the Clay: Why Hast Thou Made Me Thus?” as Want to Read:
The Potter and the Clay: Why Hast Thou Made Me Thus?

The Potter and the Clay: Why Hast Thou Made Me Thus?

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1 Rating  ·  0 Reviews
Relive the era of the Great Depression and the tragedies of World War II with this family and search, as they did, for the meaning of life and its tragedies and, hopefully, find comfort in the realization that God does all things well. For does not the Potter have power over the clay?
Published January 7th 2005 by Harris Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Potter and the Clay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Potter and the Clay

Hilary
Apr 13, 2011 Hilary rated it it was amazing
This is a historical novel about a family that lived in the Ririe, Idaho area in the early to mid-1900's. Having lived in Ririe for a good part of my life, I found this book fascinating because it gave me a window into the past. You see all of these old buildings in Ririe and wonder what they used to be back then. It also gives you an idea of how our grandparents would have lived. In addition to the historical depiction, the story is absolutely heart wrenching. I cried more than once. There is ...more
Janet Wilcox
Jul 10, 2009 Janet Wilcox rated it it was amazing
Set in my hometown Ririe, Idaho and Antelope where I grew up. How could I not love it. A true story of early 1900's and farming in Idaho. Told stories of people I knew, but never really "knew" and the tragedies they struggled through. This was more than deja vu for me, as it provided much deeper look into the saddnesses of life, I never knew existed as a child. I loved reading this. Reed Moss was my Sunday School teacher after he returned from his mission...and his wife to be was our Laurel ...more
Karen
May 01, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
Having just moved to Ririe this book had significance beyond just the story line for me. But the story line in and of itself was the kind that leaves an impression. An impression of inspiration, determination and eternal perspective. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about this sweet and valiant family and the trials and joys they found traversing through this veil of tears. I particularly appreciated the way it made me stand back and look at my life here on earth as a small though important part of ...more
Bart Andersen
Sep 13, 2010 Bart Andersen rated it it was amazing
Set in the 1920′s it chronicles the life of the author and his family growing up in the small town of Rire Idaho.

I Really enjoyed this book, I thought the author’s portrayal was very vivid and picturesque as he described the area in which he lived. This was one of one of those rare books where I truly felt bonded with the author and his story because I have gone through very similar experiences in my own family.

It’s a story about the unending love that bonds a family together as they face peaks
Stephanie
Jan 09, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I loved this book. There was something about the characters' lives unfolding in hidden challenges that just rang true to me. I loved how committed they were to each other. It's a real story and it took place in real towns that I know. For most of the book, the story is telling without one bit of preachy. I give it four stars because I didn't love the last few chapters as I did the first, but the book as a whole was well worth my time (and finished within a few days).
Kristi
May 08, 2012 Kristi rated it it was amazing
This book is set in my home town of Ririe, Idaho. I love that I could actually picture a place and a people so clearly in my own mind. My Grandma, who is now 93, was born and raised spending the farming season out on their farm on Antelope Flats and wintering in Ririe. She would tell the funest memories and stories for us at bedtime. Such an inspirational read. I laughed and I cried. Such strength through the trials of life.
Linda
Apr 30, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
This book almost received 5 stars from me. It deeply affected me as I read this true story of this family and the tragedies they experienced. The only reason it didn't was because of the slight faultiness of the direction of the writing and the writing itself. Overall, however, I would recommend it highly.
Michelegg
Feb 04, 2009 Michelegg rated it it was amazing
This book was written by my Grandmother's cousin. It absolutely fascinated me. I especially loved the descriptions of Grandma Fanny, who is my great-great grandmother. How cool to see my family immortalized in print!
Heidi
Feb 12, 2009 Heidi rated it really liked it
A family biography, set in Eastern Idaho (Ririe), early 20th-century. A touching story about the trials a family goes through and the meaning they find in those trials.
I still need to take a drive out in the country to see the area where this family lived.
Cynthia
Jun 09, 2012 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Since this is the story of my grandparents, I have some bias. I think my Uncle Reed did a wonderful job telling their story. It certainly helped give me a better understanding of the stories I had heard but didn't fully appreciate.
Cambria
Apr 23, 2014 Cambria rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-books-read
Sherri
Apr 05, 2010 Sherri rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! We had the author speak at our Book Club. Such a tear jerker, but in a good way.
April
Aug 15, 2008 April rated it it was amazing
A touching and beautifully written book. As a mother, I was brought to appreciate everything I have: children, husband, home, ease of life, religion. It broadened my understanding of. . . life.
Angie
Sep 01, 2013 Angie rated it it was amazing
This was a very touching true story of a family and thier unexpected trials. I enjoyed the compassion taught in this book.
Jamie
Nov 17, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it
Loved reading this story. I liked imagining what my home town was like before I lived there. I also liked the mentions of my family!
Gramma R
Nov 19, 2009 Gramma R rated it it was amazing
This book has a personal touch - from the time & place of my 4 older siblings. I just can't say enough how much I enjoyed it.
Trent Hess
Apr 13, 2008 Trent Hess rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It is interesting to read about the history of south east Idaho, where I am from. It was also a very interesting story. I cried once or twice.
Barbara
Aug 28, 2015 Barbara rated it liked it
An interesting story about a family in a small town in eastern Idaho (Ririe) during the depression years. It was interesting to me because I have been there and know people who grew up there.
Carrie Bean
Carrie Bean rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2008
Traci
Traci rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2010
Tamara
Tamara rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2010
Sara Westenskow
Sara Westenskow rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2008
Julie (ID)
Julie (ID) rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2008
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Sarah Martin
Sarah Martin rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2014
Melanie
Melanie rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2010
Kaylee
Kaylee rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2011
Melinda Botkin
Melinda Botkin rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Linda Jamison
Linda Jamison rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Dara Hess
Dara Hess rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2008