Start by marking “Songsmith (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #9)” as Want to Read:
Songsmith (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #9)

Songsmith (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle #9)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  385 ratings  ·  12 reviews
An evocative love story that is filled with all the magic and wonder of Witch World. Norton has won virtually every award in the science fiction and fantasy fields, including the Nebula Grand Master Award for life achievement. Norton is a superb storyteller with a pace all her own.--The New York Times.
Hardcover, First edition, 295 pages
Published May 1st 1992 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Songsmith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Songsmith

Serena
Heather Alexander released a cassette/CD album based on Songsmith's Eydryth. I've found a few songs from the album at Grooveshark.com and list them below but the only place to buy it new is Firebird Arts and Music.

One Spell Wizard

The Riving of the Border

Don't Call My Name in Battle

Keylor's Rage

Lord Faral's Race

Note: I could not find "The Chambermaid's Dowry", "Edryth's Harp Invocation", "The Fall of Sulcarkeep", "Soldier's Lament", "Satire's Curse", "Lord Hathor's Ghost Stallion", "The Moss-Wife
Ryan
It took me a little while to get into this one because quest books in general bore me. Tolkien mastered it. Robert Jordan makes it work. But it seems like every other hard-core fantasy author thinks the only way to make a good story is to have a long journey where lots of unexpected things happen to the travelers. Ugh.
Halfway through Songsmith, however, I realized the things happening to these particular travelers were slightly more interesting than in other books, and the events seemed to tie
M.K. Theodoratus
Okay, this is one of my favorite alternative worlds, and I appreciate the lesson on recycling ideas.

Found this book on my to-read pile. Thoroughly enjoyed Eydrth's quest to find a cure for her father's magic-blasted mind.

Why did I give it a five-star rating. I read the book in one sitting and didn't mind being bleary-eyed the next day.
Emme
I read this book in my freshman year of high school because my literature teacher always kept a rack of books in the room for us to read (we usually had to write reports on them, but that's beside the point). The rack contained an eclectic, ever-changing selection of random books. This was one, along with some John Grisham, Robert Ludlum, Anne McCaffrey, Anne Rice, and more. So I read the book, and since then I've been searching for it in every bookstore I've come across. It's been driving me ma ...more
Skeleton Writer
This was the first Andre Norton book I had read, and I am quite glad I did. This story swept me up and exceeded my expectations. Now Norton is my favorite author, and I get giddy when I come across a book of hers.
Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime)
Impressed. Some twenty volumes into the Witch World Series, I was getting pretty annoyed with the "sameness" of it all. Hero (or more likely Heroine) is driven by forces beyond his or her understanding to save the world from Evil.

In this story, we actually feel that the characters mostly accomplish their feats through their own abilities, without being pushed by mysterious forces outside their (and our) experience.

And of course, along the way, they learn a great about themselves; True Love is re
Freadizt StupiT
A woman searches for a cure for her father, and gets a husband on the way.
Renamski
This book got me into fantasy. I read it back when it first came out in the early nineties. It will always be a favorite of mine.
This is Eydryth's story. She is traveling to find a cure for her father. She runs into a lot of trouble... chased by witches and warlocks. She is aided by Alon. Together they take an evil and many other obstacles.
Lindsey D
It was alright. I don't think there was anything all that bad about it, but it really didn't keep my attention. I wasn't exactly bored by the book, but I kind of kept setting it down and eventually didn't bother finishing it.
Valerie
Marginally less violent than the other Witch World books. I never have understood why certain methods of dealing death are considered evil, while others are tolerated or even lauded. While there is no true sequel to this book, some of the characters recur in The Warding of The Witch World.
Heather
My very favorite book. It has it all, action, adventure, romance, suspense, redemption.... I could go on and on. Just a really wonderful read. I will one day own a beautiful black stallion and he shall be named Monso.
Peggy Lo
I'm sad that there wasn't a sequel to this book...
Andrea Paola
Andrea Paola marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Jason Penberthy
Jason Penberthy marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Calls added it
Nov 30, 2014
  • No One Noticed the Cat
  • Jerlayne
  • Fortress of Frost and Fire (Bard's Tale, #2)
  • The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker (Strangely Beautiful, #2)
  • The Best of All Possible Wars
  • Glenraven (Glenraven, #1)
  • The Dream-Maker's Magic (Safe-Keepers, #3)
  • The Adventures of King Midas
  • Heroes Return (Hero, #5)
  • The Godmother's Apprentice (Godmother, #2)
  • Magicians of Quality (Cecelia & Kate, #1-2)
  • The Cygnet and the Firebird (Cygnet Duology, #2)
  • The First Named (Servants of Ark Trilogy, #1)
  • A Touch of Strange
  • Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)
  • Devil on My Back (Arc One, #1)
  • Wolf Hunting (Firekeeper Saga, #5)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Horn Crown (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #0)
  • Year of the Unicorn (Witch World Series 2, High Hallack Cycle, #1)
  • Spell of the Witch World (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #2)
  • The Jargoon Pard (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #3)
  • Zarsthor's Bane (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #4)
  • The Crystal Gryphon (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #5)
  • Gryphon in Glory (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #6)
  • Gryphon's Eyrie (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #7)
  • Were Wrath
  • The Gates to Witch World
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)