Start by marking “Songsmith (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #9)” as Want to Read:
Songsmith (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #9)

Songsmith (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle #9)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  442 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Songsmith is the story of Eydryth and her quest to save her father Jervon. This master songsmith possesses no magic herself, and must travel the length and breadth of the Witch World to seek the cure for the evil that has ensnared her father’s mind. With the help of her mysterious companion Alon, Eydryth discovers that there are many paths to the magic of the Witch World…a ...more
Hardcover, First edition, 295 pages
Published May 1st 1992 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Songsmith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Songsmith

Derek
Dec 07, 2015 Derek rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, fantasy, witch-world
Impressed. Some twenty volumes into the Witch World Series, I was getting pretty annoyed with the "sameness" of it all. Hero (or more likely Heroine) is driven by forces beyond his or her understanding to save the world from Evil.

In this story, we actually feel that the characters mostly accomplish their feats through their own abilities, without being pushed by mysterious forces outside their (and our) experience.

And of course, along the way, they learn a great about themselves; True Love is
Serena
Heather Alexander released a cassette/CD album based on Songsmith's Eydryth. I've found a few songs from the album at Grooveshark.com and list them below but the only place to buy it new is Firebird Arts and Music.

One Spell Wizard

The Riving of the Border

Don't Call My Name in Battle

Keylor's Rage

Lord Faral's Race

Note: I could not find "The Chambermaid's Dowry", "Edryth's Harp Invocation", "The Fall of Sulcarkeep", "Soldier's Lament", "Satire's Curse", "Lord Hathor's Ghost Stallion", "The Moss-Wife
Valerie
Marginally less violent than the other Witch World books. I never have understood why certain methods of dealing death are considered evil, while others are tolerated or even lauded. While there is no true sequel to this book, some of the characters recur in The Warding of The Witch World.

Note on timing: Alon is introduced in 'Ware Hawk as a surprisingly late developer. Eydryth is the child of Jervon and Elys, who believes she has no Power. Jervon has been struck by powers he cannot assimilate,
Hamster
Nov 09, 2010 Hamster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
It took me a little while to get into this one because quest books in general bore me. Tolkien mastered it. Robert Jordan makes it work. But it seems like every other hard-core fantasy author thinks the only way to make a good story is to have a long journey where lots of unexpected things happen to the travelers. Ugh.
Halfway through Songsmith, however, I realized the things happening to these particular travelers were slightly more interesting than in other books, and the events seemed to tie
M.K. Theodoratus
Mar 31, 2014 M.K. Theodoratus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Okay, this is one of my favorite alternative worlds, and I appreciate the lesson on recycling ideas.

Found this book on my to-read pile. Thoroughly enjoyed Eydrth's quest to find a cure for her father's magic-blasted mind.

Why did I give it a five-star rating. I read the book in one sitting and didn't mind being bleary-eyed the next day.
Skeleton Writer
Jul 03, 2014 Skeleton Writer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Andre Norton book I had read, and I am quite glad I did. This story swept me up and exceeded my expectations. Now Norton is my favorite author, and I get giddy when I come across a book of hers.
A.N.
Apr 08, 2014 A.N. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A woman searches for a cure for her father, and gets a husband on the way.
Renamski
Jan 22, 2009 Renamski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book got me into fantasy. I read it back when it first came out in the early nineties. It will always be a favorite of mine.
This is Eydryth's story. She is traveling to find a cure for her father. She runs into a lot of trouble... chased by witches and warlocks. She is aided by Alon. Together they take an evil and many other obstacles.
Lindsey D
It was alright. I don't think there was anything all that bad about it, but it really didn't keep my attention. I wasn't exactly bored by the book, but I kind of kept setting it down and eventually didn't bother finishing it.
Gail Morris
Jun 29, 2016 Gail Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
So glad to finally find this book in my local library so that I could at last read this tale involving Kerovan [slightly] since I thought there were no more tales of this special man. Of course it is more about the girl/woman Eydrth who is on a quest for her father's cure.
Heather
Feb 06, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My very favorite book. It has it all, action, adventure, romance, suspense, redemption.... I could go on and on. Just a really wonderful read. I will one day own a beautiful black stallion and he shall be named Monso.
Peggy Lo
May 25, 2007 Peggy Lo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm sad that there wasn't a sequel to this book...
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Gene
Gene marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Jr
Jr marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Fina
Fina rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Marc Kohlman
Marc Kohlman marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Monika
Monika added it
Jun 20, 2016
Lisa Nelson
Lisa Nelson marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Trevor
Trevor marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Jovan Trujillo
Jovan Trujillo marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Irma04
Irma04 added it
May 30, 2016
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Daniel added it
May 03, 2016
  • No One Noticed the Cat
  • The Best of All Possible Wars
  • Glenraven (Glenraven, #1)
  • Jerlayne
  • Fortress of Frost and Fire (Bard's Tale, #2)
  • Magicians of Quality (Cecelia & Kate, #1-2)
  • The Adventures of King Midas
  • The Godmother's Apprentice (Godmother, #2)
  • Elak of Atlantis
  • Heroes Return (Hero, #5)
  • Inconstant Star (Man-Kzin Wars)
  • Die Straße des Speers (Das Rad der Zeit, #6)
  • The Center of the Circle
  • Unicorn Quest
  • Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)
  • The Wind-Witch (Warhorse of Esdragon, #2)
  • With Stars Underfoot (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #10)
  • No.6, Volume 9
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Horn Crown (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #0)
  • Year of the Unicorn (Witch World Series 2, High Hallack Cycle, #1)
  • Spell of the Witch World (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #2)
  • The Jargoon Pard (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #3)
  • Zarsthor's Bane (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #4)
  • The Crystal Gryphon (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #5)
  • Gryphon in Glory (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #6)
  • Gryphon's Eyrie (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #7)
  • Were Wrath
  • Silver May Tarnish (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #10)