Start by marking “Das Kapital [Abridged]” as Want to Read:
Das Kapital [Abridged]

Das Kapital [Abridged]

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Karl Marx set about to analyze the development of capital, the components of capital and the modern day application of capital. As a political economy scientist he outlined the key human ingredient; the concept of the surplus value of labor. This concept is the most difficult to understand in the three essential elements of capital, but it is the essential ingredient. This ...more

To ask other readers questions about Das Kapital [Abridged], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das Kapital [Abridged]

William
Karl would be spinning in his grave right now and in between gaffuws saying I TOLD YOU SO! as America saves its most stalwart capitalist icons with socialist policies! Read it and understand that the only real value is human labor...not paper or plastic.
Keith
I read this while in High School and at the time I thought the ideas where good but as I have grown older I have found that the ideas of Marx are incompatible with the driving forces of man. We would need to go through a radical evolution of mind to even be able to adopt any of Marx and if you take his ideas and apply them to a microcosm of individual families you can see the break down pretty quickly.
Deborah
Informative read into Marx headspace, at a time when money was on the gold standard.

Das Kapital, it has been said, is the bible of Communism, while the Communist Manifesto is its creed.Few can boast that they have read all 3 volumes of Das Kapital; fewer still have understood its tortuous prose. Yet millions have passionately defended or attacked it, and revolutions have been made in its name. Sua fata habent libelli [books have a fate of their own].

Volume I of Das Kapital was published in 1867
Robert
This particular print of the book knocked off a star (at least) from my review. It was published by Pacific Publishing in 2010, and it is riddled with typos. There are paragraphs after paragraphs that start with a random capital P before the first word, many words are missing their first letter, and it is not clear that this is actually only the first book (of three) of Marx's capital. It is also probably an edited version of the first book, but there is no way to tell in this way sub-par print. ...more
Yang
Compared to the selected chapters in the Marx-Engels Reader, this version contains more or less most part of volume 1 in the Capital. However, there is also abridged passages where asterisks are not used to indicate an omission. I have to say so far I find the Chinese translation (complete and thorough, including notes appearing in versions of the Capital in several languages, as well as the Chinese translators' own) most useful.
Dan
Jun 28, 2007 Dan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marxists
Shelves: leftwingpolitics
Well what can I say? Perhaps one of the most unreadable books every written, but required reading for anyone hoping to get their teeth into Marxian political economy. While it’s very heavy going, it can be very rewarding. Time consuming in the extreme, I would still recommend it, although it’s become increasingly hard to get hold of a copy that has not been edited, abridged, or otherwise tampered with.

I would however advise people to read the likes of Wage Labour & Capital before starting w
Darran Mclaughlin
Not sure if I got much out of actually reading this book. The general ideas are public knowledge and the serious economic stuff is beyond the understanding of anyone who isn't pretty familiar with economic concepts already. He is a really good writer when he reaches out to a wider audience, dropping referrences to Dante, Goethe, Shakespeare, Cervantes and the Greeks with ease. It was a good reminder that the capitalist system is not 'natural', however acclimatised to it we are in the west, but I ...more
Simon
Fittingly dense. So much of what Marx wrote, which once seemed perceptive, has been superceded by later ideas in various fields, and his utopianism and economic determinism never did make sense in hind-sight. A must-read, simply for its influence.
Joseph
Mar 24, 2010 Joseph is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The process by which laborers became divorced from the means of production is particularly well told.
Julie Lowe
Heavy going is right. I slept through most of it.
Bubba
Jun 05, 2008 Bubba is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: europe
I keep swearing I'll read this thing one day.
Ahmad
my first book that make me interested on marx!
Jade
Jade marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Dana
Dana is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Agne
Agne marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Braden Z
Braden Z marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
Jan 21, 2015
Pennyann
Pennyann marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Victor
Victor marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Nan
Nan added it
Dec 30, 2014
Bill
Bill added it
Dec 26, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Page Count for ISBN 0192831224 2 16 Oct 25, 2013 05:35AM
  • Dialectics of Nature
  • The Wealth of Nations, Books 1-3
  • Adieux: A Farewell to Sartre
  • Principles of Political Economy: And Chapters on Socialism
  • The Stars Down to Earth and Other Essays on the Irrational in Culture (Routledge Classics)
  • False Dawn: The Delusions of Global Capitalism
  • The Decline of the West
  • The Morality of Law
  • Human Rights as Politics and Idolatry
  • On Practice and Contradiction
  • The Case Against the Global Economy: And for a Turn toward the Local
  • Selected Writings
  • The Annals/The Histories
  • The Great Tradition: Classic Readings on What it Means to Be an Educated Human Being
  • The Last Jews in Berlin
  • Understanding Philosophy of Science
  • The Thomas Paine Reader
  • The Quest For Community: A Study In The Ethics Of Order And Freedom (Ics Series In Self Governance)
(Arabic: كارل ماركس)
In 1818, Karl Marx, descended from a long line of rabbis, was born in Prussian Rhineland. Marx's' father converted to Protestantism shortly before Karl's birth. Educated at the Universities of Bonn, Jena, and Berlin, Marx founded the Socialist newspaper Vorwarts in 1844 in Paris. After being expelled from France at the urging of the Prussian government, which "banished" Marx in
More about Karl Marx...
The Communist Manifesto Capital, Vol 1: A Critical Analysis of Capitalist Production The Marx-Engels Reader Das Kapital The German Ideology