Night Shade (Daughters of the Moon, #3)

Night Shade (Daughters of the Moon #3)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  4,291 ratings  ·  106 reviews
Jimena was once the toughest chola in East L.A. No longer in a gang, she is still feared by many. Nothing scares Jimena. Nothing, that is, except the reappearance of Veto, who was once the love of her life. That terrifies her, because Veto was killed a year ago by a rival gang. Or was he? Jimena discovers that he has made a devil's bargain, which could cost both of them th...more
Published March 1st 2001 by Volo

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Twilight Collection by Stephenie Meyer
Must Read YA Fiction!
242nd out of 1,283 books — 2,266 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Books with Greek mythology references
57th out of 338 books — 386 voters

More lists with this book...

Quinn
I really had high hopes for this book, as well as the ones in the rest of the series. Unfortunately, I made it about half way through this one and just couldn't finish. The premise of the stories is interesting and engaging, but the constant reminder (and word-for-word reminders) of what happened in the past really started to bother me. I understand why the books jump from character to character, but I found that it wasn't holding my attention as well. I just didn't think the story was really go...more
Jessica
I have to admit, It's getting kinda boring and repetitive for me.Each book seems to focus on one of the girls and the so called battle is always so lame and uneventful. Interesting ideas but not really going places with me. Very young girls would like this series more perhaps
Beya Penn
her story was amazing, but sad.
i laughed at the ending 'cause its one of those 'i knew it' endings.
Britney
Mar 27, 2014 Britney rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teen Girls who like Greek Mythology
Shelves: read-teen
This book was interesting. I realized that a lot of the gang references went right over my head when I read it the first time. Now that I'm older and have learned about those things, some parts of the book didn't make sense. Like how she left her gang but they still liked her. Usually it's pretty hard to get out of a gang.

Jimena is a tough girl who can take care of herself. She is very street smart. I felt that she handled Veto's reappearance odd. It really didn't seem that shocking for her.

Also...more
Megan Marie
Koorihime-sama
CHECKED OUT THE BOOK FROM MY PUBLIC LIBRARY.

APART OF THE GOODREADS 2011 READING CHALLENGE.

2ND REVIEW. 1ST REVIEW IS HERE.

Review/Rating:

3 out of 5

Once a gang member, Jimena changed her tone after learning her destiny as a Daughter of the Moon. She is not afraid of anything, but when her deceased boyfriend, Veto, shows up again from the dead, Jimena is afraid what kind of bargain he has made with the Atrox that could cost them their lives.

I decided to do a better review of the Daughters of the Moo...more
Lynda Tatad
Of the four girls introduced in the Daughter's of the Moon series, Jimena has a more troubled past. A girl from the 'Hood', she was one of the warrior girls involved in a gang. After losing the love of her life, Veto, she finds purpose in her life after she discovers that she is one of the Daughters of the Moon and she moved out of her old neighborhood to turn her life around.

Now, it seems Veto has come back, as well as threat of earthquakes and storms to the area. It seems Veto has made a barga...more
Khalia Hades
Jimena is a goddess, a daughter of the moon. Sent by Selene to protect the human beings from an ancient evil called the Atrox. Jimena, Serena, Vanessa, and Catty are all daughters of the moon. Each of them has a unique gift. Vanessa can become invisible, Catty can travel in time, Serena reads minds, and Jimena sees into the future. Lynne Ewing has designed all of the books to show us everyone's point of view at different times. This book is based on Jimena. Jimena use to be the toughest gang gir...more
Tara Day
In this third installment of the Daughters Of the Moon series, Lynne Ewing introduces us to Jimena's point of view. Unlike the first two characters, Vanessa and Serena, who are fearless when it comes to battle, but not in every day life, Jimena is the opposite. After she's lived such tough life dealing with gangs and drama, it makes Jimena more confident in herself than her sister goddesses.

I felt of all the daughters I've read so far, Jimena was the most intriguing. She knows what she wants an...more
Jessica
May 14, 2011 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YA who have an interest it magic, myth and urban fantasy
Samantha
What I liked:
-Jimena. She’s tough, she’s badass, she’s dangerous, and she knows it. I loved the look into her past and her association with a gang, because it shows us how the past has shaped her character. I also liked her relationship with Serena’s brother and I really hope it goes somewhere.
-Secondary cast. The other girls weren’t as important in this book as Jimena was. Normally, the other girls all play a big role in helping solve problems, but with this book, I felt like it was mostly Jime...more
Kathryn
This one was a lot more entertaining than the last one. I don't know what it is about tough girls, but I can relate to them even though I'm not really a gang banger. I thought the idea behind this one was clever, and things weren't as rushed feeling. I mean, it was still along the same lines as what happened in the first two books as far as the speed went, but I found Jimena to be a lot more interesting a character, and I cared more about what was happening to her. Vanessa and Serena are just a...more
Helen
2.5 stars Hmmm...I think this will be the last in the series for me. It's not bad...it's just not holding my attention. I don't think the overall story line is going anywhere. In the first half of this book, the author uses many Spanish words and phrases. Yes, I could gather contextual clues to know what she meant - but I found it annoying and it didn't really contribute to the story. They weren't specific phrases that didn't have English translations - I think it was to try to add more to Jimen...more
Wayne
An attempt at a series of books empowering young women. Very "Buffy". Certain girls who are born in the wild are visited by the godess Diana and are turned into "Daughters of the Moon." These girls grow up to fight agains the followers of evil. Each has a different power such as premonition, invisibility, reading minds, etc.
Not very good. The story lags and doesn't seem to know where it wants to focus. You don't get much story about the individual characters, and you don't get hardly anything ab...more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
First time reading this, I kind of liked it. Jimena wasn't really a favorite of mine, I still liked her none the less. This one focuses on Jimena as she travels back in time. Good sequel.
Katrina Knittle
I really like how each book focuses on one of the girls mainly. It does get a little repetitive. The girl this book follows has such an amazing story and at times very sad. A decent series that I am happy to have come across.
Arra Abella
Feb 19, 2013 Arra Abella rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mythology enthusiasts, Young Adult
Shelves: 3-stars, its-ya, mythology
It was a good read. Though it was a sad at first because you were longing to see and be with someone who is already dead. But then you're surprised to see that person alive again without knowing that his soul is being used to hurt you. That's what happened to Jimena Castillo, another daughter of the moon with the gift of having or seeing a Premonition. But it will eventually end in a good way. Somewhat the book teaches us how to let go and to move on, and to change ourselves to a better one.

Read...more
Cassandra Crandall
Good book can not wait for the next one.
Chin
This book is a sequel. Jimena is the protagonist of this book. Her boyfriend, Veto died and she thinks she's seeing him as a ghost. Similar to Hamlet written by William Shakespeare. The antagonists are the followers made Veto believed that with Jimena's necklace, he would be protected. Her necklace protect the daughters of the moon from evil. When she hands over the necklace, she is vulnerable to evil. The ending was the other daughters of the moon coming to save her. It was a pretty interesting...more
Brittney
I got this and the first two books in a all in one book. The story itself is interesting, with a good idea and appealing to teens, but I don't think I will be reading the other ten books in this series. Each book, though it is told through a different character, always seems the same. Though they do different missions in each story and in each book you, as the reader, learn more about the different characters, it seems like the sames things happen over and over and that gets boring.
Wai Lin
The protagonist of this book was a girl named Jimena. Her boyfriend, Veto died and she thinks she's starting to see his ghost. The bad guys, the followers made Veto believed that with Jimena's neckalace, he would be protected. Her neckalce protect the daughters of the moon from evil. When she hands over the neckalace, she is vulunerable to evil. The ending was the other daughters of the moon coming to save her. It was a pretty interesting book to read.
Sandy
Wow! A teenage romantic love story. But one filled with plenty of angst, as the heroine, Jimena, comes to terms with her reality and the loss of her first love. I think Lynne Ewing is beginning to grow on me. Other than the irritating use of some of the same phrases to introduce the other goddesses of the moon in the current book that she used in prior books in the series, Ewing seems to have me hooked. I can't wait to read the next installment!
Laurel
Jimena was once the toughest ganster in East L.A. No longer in a gang, she is still feared by many people. Nothing scares Jimena, however she is shoken up by the reappearance of Veto, the love of her life that was killed in a gang fight several years ago. Jimena uncovers why and how Veto is back,and discovers that he has made a devil's bargain with the Atrox. This bargai almost cost not only JImeana's life, but all of the Daughters of the Moon.
Anahi Velazquez
The protagonist of this book was a girl named Jimena. Her boyfriend, Veto died and she thinks she's starting to see his ghost. The followers made Veto believed that with Jimena's neckalace, he would be protected. Her neckalce protect the daughters of the moon from evil. When she hands over the neckalace, she is vulunerable to evil. The ending was the other daughters of the moon coming to save her.
Ivan
Dec 03, 2008 Ivan is currently reading it
Shelves: q2-2008
i haven't read far itno this book but i know im going to like it i really think they all have the same story line. so far Jamiene has started to see what she thinks is the ghost of her dead lover Veto. and Sarena is somewhat dating one of the Followers those are the people that are sworn to kill the daughters of the moon but only Jamiene knows it....i wonder what will happen... :p
Allie
This book was really good. If you like science fiction books like twilight ect. I would recommened this book to you. It is about 4 teenage Goddesses of the moon. They fight of followers while still trying to be normal teenagers. This book focuses on the Goddess Jimena, she is the tough one. Read to find out what happens to Jimena and if she will pull the other goddesses down with her.
Yaffa (Cally)
i liked it a lot! ive got 2 say tho, i liked the second book better....
Vazeni
This story was a bit boring for the fact that it only described her "bad girl" life. She was quite a bit violent and the plot revolved around her life in the horrible neighborhood. However,it wasn't so bad. It may have been dull,but the story still continues with the usual goddessness. Anyway, I don't think Jimena should even be a goddess. This is just my opinion.
7keller_emma
this is my 2nd favorite book in this series because it shows how you can be deceived no matter how sure you are. plus it gives a nice twist to keep you reading, and at the end its just like 'why did they stop it here!' it is exciting and it keeps you guessing, and it never stops. it never seems to end. strangely its fun and interesting.
Annika
Night Shade was okay, but it wasn't great. I started the series with this book and I know that must sound horrible, but I understood it perfectly fine.
But the romance was short and horrible and barely even got on. Same goes for the action. Basically, this book was really short and not a fun read for me.
  • Destiny's Twins (T*Witches, #10)
  • Awakening (Sweep, #5)
  • Shattered Mirror (Den of Shadows, #3)
Lynne Ewing is an American author and a screen writer.

She always had to move around a lot when she was growing up because her father was in the Marine Corps. She has two sisters. Lynne graduated from high school in Lima, Peru after attending seven other schools. While she was in Peru, she learned to speak Spanish. She attended the University of California at Santa Barbara. When she was 30 years ol...more
More about Lynne Ewing...
Goddess of the Night (Daughters of the Moon, #1) Into the Cold Fire (Daughters of the Moon, #2) The Secret Scroll (Daughters of the Moon, #4) The Sacrifice (Daughters of the Moon, #5) The Lost One (Daughters of the Moon, #6)