Start by marking “Spiritual Equipping for Mission: Thriving as God's Message Bearers” as Want to Read:
Spiritual Equipping for Mission: Thriving as God's Message Bearers

Spiritual Equipping for Mission: Thriving as God's Message Bearers

God calls his people to mission. But the demands of crosscultural ministry can be overwhelming and draining, leading to discouragement and burnout. All of our strategies and methodologies for reaching others are useless if we are incapable of living the holy, faithful lives God intends for us. Yet God does not leave us on our own. The Holy Spirit equips us to succeed and ...more
Published September 5th 2014 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about Spiritual Equipping for Mission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spiritual Equipping for Mission

Katie Kirschenmann
Jan 07, 2016 Katie Kirschenmann rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book to all desiring to pursue a deeper relationship with Jesus and find their place in Great Commission, which is The Lord's mandate to all of us. Very challenging and convicting read.
K Rajendran
Aug 31, 2014 K Rajendran rated it really liked it
Book Review on Spiritual Equipping for Mission by Ryan Shaw.
After the book True Discipleship by William McDonald and Calvary Road by Roy Hession, it is refreshing to read Spiritual Equipping for Mission by Ryan Shaw.
Spiritual Equipping for Mission is a manual for anyone who wants to serve Nations with a Good news of Christ as a "message bearer" .
It deals with the inner spiritual foundations which needs to be laid as a person prepares to serve Jesus Christ with a focus as a "message bearer".
It
Millard Parrish
Sep 24, 2014 Millard Parrish rated it it was amazing
Ryan Shaw's Spiritual Equipping for Mission is a must-read for anyone who wants to serve Christ effectively in this world. He focuses intently and persistently and very practically on the priority of pursuing Jesus Himself as our primary ambition and objective in life, which is the only way to become a true message-bearer.

Ryan shares from his own experience how God has called and taught him these things. He humbly shares some of his own missteps along the way and then describes some of the wond
pane
Oct 08, 2014 pane rated it really liked it
An eye opener and a heart stirrer for everyone who has committed their lives to the Lord. This book is not only for those striving to bring forth the gospel to the unreached but also to all who follows Jesus. This is not a formula but a very essential reminder of living righteous with God.

While message bearers prepare themselves in serving a nation long term, they undergo various trainings that is more on the methodology, Spiritual Equipping for Mission can also be added to it. Every disciple mu
Joel Iyorwa
Ryan Shaw speaks in the eleven chapters of this brilliant new book with a unique voice full of passion and intent. In today's mission circles, 'preparation' or 'equipping' for christian cross-cultural work often focuses mostly if not exclusively, on methods, knowledge, skills, and so on and even when Spiritual preparation is mentioned, it usually just gets a little mention and is lost in the middle of many other concerns. What is unique about Ryan Shaw's 'SPIRITUAL EQUIPPING FOR MISSION: ...more
Russ Mitchell
Oct 05, 2014 Russ Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Two words best describe “Spiritual Equipping for Mission”: Practical and Passionate.
Ryan Shaw is first of all a man who is passionate for God and his global purposes. I’ve been blessed to serve alongside Ryan. He is a man of the Word; a man of vision, passion, and courage; a man who is teachable; a man whom the Lord can use. These are rare qualities in our age. Shaw’s passion for Christ and His Kingdom will motivate any follower of Jesus Christ to go deeper in his or her walk with God.

Shaw has
Matt Teeter
Sep 28, 2014 Matt Teeter rated it it was amazing
A Systematic Approach to Missions and Personal Spiritual Growth
Ryan Shaw’s real life examples, biblical verses and stories, provide a fresh vulnerability of the true rewards and difficulties when serving in the Mission Field abroad. This book provides a systemic approach to help both young message bearers and mature message bearers in the divine calling the Lord has placed upon their lives. The structures (“Keys”) within the book are not only simple, but extremely powerful and ultimately freeing
Chua Bian
Oct 08, 2014 Chua Bian rated it it was amazing
This is not just another book that talks about equipping in terms of skills needed or methodology of missions. It goes back to the core of the Christianity by hightlighting ten essential spiritual keys to build the spiritual life of a message bearer, or more commonly known as the missionary. But this term is not used by the author to avoid its colonial linkage.

This is a praiseworthy book because it fills the gap that is left by loads of literature focusing on the 'doing' rather than the 'being'
Rita Chiu
Sep 27, 2014 Rita Chiu rated it it was amazing
This book is intentionally written for message bearers but I think it is suitable for any follower of Jesus Christ who wants to walk with God strong and well for a life time. It stresses the importance of spiritual growth in a message bearer’s life. If we want to have fruitful ministry, we need to first cultivating deeper inner life with God. The ten spiritual keys mentioned is like a path leading us how to follow God and finish strong and well.
Personally I was greatly benefit from reading this
Aj
Oct 02, 2014 Aj rated it really liked it
Let every disciple of Jesus get a hold of this book. This is for the scarred veterans, to encourage them to finish well; and this is for the zealous novices, so they may be oriented to the realities in the battlefield and be spared from the fiery darts of disillusionment.

Spiritual Equipping for Mission is an indispensable and practical tool for every disciple of Jesus who desires to make a global impact in God’s Kingdom while constantly cultivating a deeper inner life. The 10 spiritual keys Ryan
James
Mar 10, 2015 James rated it really liked it
In his book Spiritual Equipping for Missions, Ryan Shaw does a masterful job of bringing to focus a subject that is often overlooked by today’s missionaries. In an era where equipping for missions is at a minimum, Shaw’s book is much needed and timely. And for this reason alone, I would recommend this book for anyone wishing to embark on a career in missions.

In many ways, what Shaw’s book covers are not new insights, as often is in many books like these. However, Shaw does a good job in pulling
Dave
Sep 24, 2014 Dave rated it really liked it
This book takes us from the externals of service for God to the essential core of life and ministry. Ryan begins by explaining the Great Commission of Jesus, the unfinished task and need for message bearers. Not people defined primarily by great mission strategies or techniques, but by an authentic spirituality that keeps conformity to Christ as life’s centerpiece. He explains ten “inner life characteristics” or “spiritual keys”. They are life-long values and disciplines that shape us as joyful ...more
David Eschenbach
Ryan has written a much needed word for all message bearers and Christian workers home and abroad. I have known Ryan since he was finishing up college and working as a janitor. He is a man of character and experience who writes from his heart. This book is a refreshing word for this message bearer of fifteen years in Peru.The ten essential spiritual keys Ryan shares in this book will open your life and ministry to a deeper walk in God. Enjoy reading and applying this must read book.

E.David Esch
Kate P.
Sep 28, 2014 Kate P. rated it really liked it
As people are sent out to engage in cross-cultural mission as message bearers, it is essential to have a firm foundation, rooted in the character and nature of the God of all things. Ryan Shaw's book 'Spiritual Equipping for Mission' lays out ten spiritual keys – from lifestyle prayer to cooperating with God, among other important topics - which nurture deeper relationship with God in Jesus. Each chapter deals with an extremely pragmatic way of pressing into Jesus so that message bearers are ...more
Ray Mensah
I began reading Ryan Shaw's Spiritual Equipping for Missions on a long trip from Chicago to Accra. Once I began reading, I couldn't stop. By the time we touched down in Accra, I had long finished the book and I was refreshed and challenged. This is the kind of book that you have to keep on your desk or a conspicous part of your bookshelf so you can continue to refer to it from time to time. It will truly equip as well as remind both new and veteran Message Bearers and Cross-Cultural Workers ...more
Robert Miner
Aug 09, 2015 Robert Miner rated it really liked it
His intention, and the obvious needs of the saints, were very appropriate. We all need a closer walk with God, spiritual maturity, growth in Christ-likeness. No doubt.
However, much of his teaching and applications, I found very weak, and often not very biblical. Much reflects a contemporary style of spirituality, which in parts is responsible for the very lack of maturity he tries to confront.

Concerning the style, much too much of himself, his organisation, all the things he did right. Too much
Elizabeth Glanville
Sep 24, 2014 Elizabeth Glanville rated it it was amazing
This book is a great resource to anyone thinking about or already involved in any kind of ministry or mission work. Ryan Shaw has included a lot of very practical steps for tending to our spirit, and building a lasting and life-changing relationship with God, the sender of all "message bearers." We have operated under a wrongfully assumed notion that anyone involved in mission work must already have a solid relationship with the Lord. Research shows this is not necessarily true, and this book ...more
Veronica Darby
Sep 29, 2014 Veronica Darby rated it it was amazing
How refreshing to read such a practical handbook on how to stay healthy in mission! In fact, the 10 keys which Shaw presents and expounds, will work for any follower on Jesus, not just missionaries. I love how the book methodically, and with examples from the author's own life, lays forward the timeless truths about how to continuously walk with Jesus. One of my favorite quotes from the book is from the chapter on Hungering and Thirsting for God: “Serving without spiritual abundance is doing so ...more
Timothy Gerdts
As a believer, we understand Eph 6:12 that we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against spiritual forces. So it is crucial that we are equipped for that battle. This book brings to life the tools needed for that battle.

What I love is that it not only brings sound biblical advice, but that advice is laced with real life examples. He clearly has walked out these principles in his own life, and shares not only the accomplishments but also the things he would have done differently.

I think tha
Josephine
Ryan Shaw has given us very practical ways on how to ‘thrive’ and not ‘survive’ as we partner with Jesus in His vineyard. I have been blessed to have been mentored by Ryan and getting to see him live out all the ten spiritual keys has greatly impacted my life. It is only when as message bearers we learn to sit at the feet of Jesus, becoming like Him that we are able to bear fruits to eternity. Thus I am a firm believer that when spiritual vitality slips, every other area goes with it!
Jamie Page
Sep 24, 2014 Jamie Page rated it it was amazing
Grab your highlighter and get ready for Ryan Shaw to take you on a revitalizing journey that will remind what a relationship with Jesus is really about. If you’re like me, you’ll openly rejoice at the end of every chapter as you recall the simplicity and the wonder of God’s call on your life as His message bearer!
Simon Bird
Oct 01, 2014 Simon Bird rated it it was amazing
Ryan gives a stirring call to persevere in key disciplines that will enrich the inner life of any disciple of Christ, let alone that of a message bearer (as he aptly renames missionaries). He packs insights from scripture and his own and wife’s experience, as God has led them in ministry. It was a great spiritual check-up for me.
Confidence Agbeko
Oct 03, 2014 Confidence Agbeko rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book for all believers…for some the spiritual keys may just be a reminder, for others these spiritual keys will give us the understanding of what is expected from a true believer by HEAVEN…but ultimately; we all are provided with the path to personal victorious Christian living for the salvation of the world.
Jared Sommers
Oct 17, 2015 Jared Sommers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very practical

This book is very helpful in providing practical steps in pursuing God both on and off the mission field. Great book.
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2015
Jared Sommers
Jared Sommers rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
Jac
Jac rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2016
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Andrew Seow
Andrew Seow rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Laurie Goree
Laurie Goree rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016

“This surrender isn’t a one-time thing but is continually embraced over a lifetime. There will be an initial surrendering to God, breaking the self. God will keep this process current through circumstances, helping us to continue to deny ourselves.” 1 likes
“An often-overlooked yet fundamental mark of a thriving message bearer is humility mixed with meekness.” 0 likes