Start by marking “Dim Sum for Everyone!” as Want to Read:
Dim Sum for Everyone!

Dim Sum for Everyone!

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  57 reviews
A tasty morsel of a board book all about dim sum from the Newbery Honor–winning author of Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, Grace Lin.

A Chinese American family sits down to enjoy a traditional dim sum meal. Dumplings, cakes, buns, and tarts are wheeled out in little dishes on trolleys, and each family member gets to choose a favorite treat!

Lin’s bold and gloriously pat
Board Book, 24 pages
Published September 9th 2014 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dim Sum for Everyone!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dim Sum for Everyone!

Crystal Marcos
I enjoyed this one. I thought I knew what Dim Sum was, but I was wrong. I love when I learn something new and expand my horizons. First of all, the illustrations in this book are bright, bold, and beautiful! I like that the moment you look at the cover you know you are going on a culinary adventure. The details from beginning to end were wonderful. The story is about a little girl who goes to a Dim Sum restaurant with her family. The book details their eating experience. At the end of the book, ...more
Lisa Vegan
I wasn’t wild about the style of art in this book, but it worked for all the little dishes and especially on my favorite page in the story “Everyone eats a little bit of everything.” which shows many tables, many people, many dishes. My other favorite pages in this book aren’t part of the story. They’re the two page long note at the end giving some history about the dim sum tradition and the back inside cover with drawings of various dim sum foods with their English and Chinese (alphabet pronunc ...more
Gundula
Jun 14, 2010 Gundula rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: small children interested in international foods and cuisines
While I thought this was a cute little picture book, I really cannot say that I liked the illustrations all that much; they were simply too cartoon-like for me. Also, as some of my GR friends have already mentioned, the story itself was rather short on substance, it was sweet, but there was not much to it. As someone who used to go out for Dim Sum quite regularly, what I liked most about the book were the two back pages, which listed twenty-two Dim Sum dishes (along with both the English and Chi ...more
Kathryn
I enjoyed this book but perhaps not as much as I was hoping to. The illustrations were not my cup of tea, and I thought the story was just a bit too sparse and nothing really "special" in the telling--but I could totally see my kid-self LOVING this book. I would be absolutely obsessed with the idea of getting to go to a restaurant and pick out my own "little" dishes of food. Oh my, what fun! And, okay, even as an adult I am kind of enamored with the idea and want to go to a Dim Sum bar now! I ac ...more
Ann
The text itself is just okay. Nothing too endearing or special. But, I really enjoyed the back matter, which gave a nice overview of what Dim Sum is and how it came to be so popular.

The illustrations are nice and colorful, and I admit I really wanted some dim sum after reading this book!
Harley Stine
The book starts off with a family (who looks identical to the family in "Thanking the Moon") at a dim sum restaurant. They all pick little dishes off carts being brought around by waiters. Each family member takes a turn picking something. Ma-Ma picked sweet pork buns. Ba-Ba picks fried shrimp. Jie-Jie picks turnip cakes. Mei-Mei picks sweet tofu. The main character picks egg tarts. Dim sum is a collaborative meal where everyone eats a little bit of everyone else's dish.

Again, Grace Lin informs
Brenda
I have to admit my son was more interested in the illustrations then in the actual story itself. I felt the explanation of the tradition and definition for Dim sum at the end of the story were the best part of the whole book and really were very interesting to read.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I'm not wild about her artwork, but I like the story--it made me hungry! The author is from the area where I live, so of course I have to read everything she writes. Hope I get to meet her some day!
Karol
This book is beautifully illustrated and I think would be interesting to a small child. It did make me want to go to a Dim Sum restaurant! Overall, it was an appealing book.
Mrs Bond
Brief text describes dim sum, perfect for preschoolers or new readers. Wonderful 2 page note at the end explaining history and traditions.
Tasia
We read this during a presentation that our ESL kids were giving on their home countries. Two are from China, and they really enjoyed listening to the story and telling us what some Chinese characters meant. I think what was best about this book within this context was how it gave the Chinese students an opportunity to teach and talk about their heritage in front of their friends.

Others say that they think the style is too cartoony, but it's a book intended for small children? I'm not sure what
Yusra Faridi
Dim Sum is a popular part of Chinese culture; it is Chinese tradition where food is served in many little dishes. This book gives a little insight on how a family enjoys the Dim Sum tradition. This book is a good one to read to students because it explains a concept that a lot of us are not familiar with. It also gives us names of some Chinese dishes that we might expect to see at a Dim Sum, such as pork buns, fried shrimp, turnip cakes, and sweet tofu. It also mentions one detail about this tra ...more
Paul
This little book is an occasion to relive and savor the bustling and flavorful experience of dim sum, the food and the place. I think I had my first dim sum in Hong Kong and am so grateful it is now so accessible in the US. For me as an Anglo, part of the experience is interacting with the cart servers whose English is minimal (as compared to my non-existent Chinese) so I point. Seeing the menu choices Lin highlights in her book awakened my taste buds, reminding me of my favorites and prompting ...more
Amy Rae
Love the art, love the idea! Based off the title, I thought the text might rhyme, and I was a little disappointed that it didn't--but it's still a great book for what it is.
Bookfanatic
My preschooler just loves this book. We looked at it so often it's falling apart. That's my only complain with the book. The paperback version has flimsy construction. Back to the book. We eat at a local Chinese dim sum restaurant quite frequently so she's familiar with some of the dim sum described in this delightful book. The illustrations are bold, colorful and beautiful. They capture the energy and spirit of a busy dim sum restaurant. The text is simple enough for a toddler or a young presch ...more
Nick Philip
I can see this book being wonderful for young readers, but I did not enjoy it at all. I found it short and lacking for substance.
Rebecca
I had way too much fun picking out pretty picture books about food at the library yesterday. Cataloging them here for next year.

Follow up for family/food unit. Perfect level and subject for my newcomers. As always, they were elated and found it hi-larious that Miss Rebecca had a book with Chinese words. Helped them own the English names for some familiar things. I wish it had something accessible to the kids like a "menu" at the end with pictures/names of dishes instead of the tiny print histor
Loved this book. Thank you Grace Lin for writing books about Asian-American children!
Dolly
Jul 18, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We just love dim sum! And this is a short, fun, and inforamative story about dim sum and a few of the different kinds there are. A great story to read aloud to children!

This story was selected as one of the books for the June 2010 - Culinary Delights reads at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Kristin
What a fun book! This would be a great book for younger kids to explore and understand traditions and customs in different parts of the world. This book talks about dim sum and what it is. There is an explanation of dim sum and what it means in the Chinese culture. The back of the book even has different types of dim sum and how to say those words in Chinese. I liked this book because it taught me about what the little girl and her family enjoy and the different kinds of food they enjoy.
Amanda Kerfeld
Dim Sum is a book about a little girl who eats with her family. This book teaches others what Dim Sum means or little hearts. This book would be good for elementary because it explains that even though other cultures may be different, we all have some things in common with each other. This books points out that eating with family is very common no matter what culture.
Charlotte
Library book - If I was rating it, I'd give it 4 stars but Charlotte liked it less than me. She spent about 4 days requesting back-to-back reads, but forgot about it after that. I loved the illustrations, colors, and simple text - Charlotte liked the fact that tofu is named as a dish, and that there are lots of tiny pictures on the end papers of dim sum dishes and ingredients.
Vivian
This story features a little girl named Mei-Mei, making it work well with Jan Brett's "Daisy Comes Home". As today's story time theme was Chinese New Year which includes a big family meal we included this story. Each double page spread contains less than ten words of text so it moves very fast. The illustrations are bold and clean, making it very visually appealing.
Trang
This is a great book to use for days where students talk about their home culture or the foods they eat at home. It provides great illustrations and good explanations of types of food. It also integrates English and Chinese for students that may speak Chinese at home or other Asian cultures that also share a Chinese influence.
Rita Crayon Huang
I can't help but give this to every kid I know has been exposed to dim sum at a young age. Just watching them point to all the little illustrations in the end papers, recognizing their favorites--and being taught the names in different languages by their parents--is a joy.

A simple, charming, joyful delight!
Ann
This very simple story has bright, graphic illustrations that are saturated with color. There is hardly any text, but it does help children learn some simple Chinese words for foods and family members. The endpapers also include pictures of dim sum, complete with their Chinese and English names.
carrietracy
The text is this is very, very simple. Almost too simple to use for a read - aloud. I actually think it would be great for very beginning readers, because they could try some of the words and get bailed out by parents for the hard stuff. Also, as with most of Grace Lin's books, it made me hungry.
Teacher 007.5
A cute book that introduces Dim Sum to young readers. The illustrations are great and entertaining. I read this to my toddler classroom and they loved the pictures. It was part of our heritage week book collection. I chose it because of its simple text and delightful illustrations.
Barbara Lewis
This is my one year old son's favorite book and is already almost in tatters. The narrative is simple, the colors are bright, and it gives you lots of opportunity to talk about all of the things going on with the illustrations so that you can expand the story on your own.
Bailey
This is a story about a girl and her family going to a restaurant to eat dim sum. It tells of how each family member ordered something different and they all shared. This is a good book to use with children when teaching them about sharing.
  • Bee-bim Bop!
  • Yoko
  • Apple Pie Fourth of July
  • Red is a Dragon: A Book of Colors
  • Three Little Tamales, The
  • What Can You Do with a Rebozo?
  • Tia Isa Wants a Car
  • A New Year's Reunion: A Chinese Story
  • Just a Minute!
  • Fannie in the Kitchen: The Whole Story From Soup to Nuts of How Fannie Farmer Invented Recipes with Precise Measurements
  • Uncle Peter's Amazing Chinese Wedding
  • Feast for 10
  • When the Beat Was Born: DJ Kool Herc and the Creation of Hip Hop
  • Glass Slipper, Gold Sandal: A Worldwide Cinderella
  • In Our Mothers' House
  • The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred
  • Ugly Pie
  • Wabi Sabi
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon The Year of the Dog Starry River of the Sky The Year of the Rat Dumpling Days