Start by marking “The Walk On (The Triple Threat, 1)” as Want to Read:
The Walk On (The Triple Threat, 1)

The Walk On (The Triple Threat #1)

Bestselling sportswriter John Feinstein kicks off a new series for middle grade featuring Alex Myers, a student athlete who tries to take on the sports establishment in his new town.
Alex Myers is a triple-threat athlete--great at football, basketball, and baseball. But he'll have to fight for a spot on the varsity team.
Alex is a quarterback, but from the first day of f
Published September 9th 2014 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2014)

Randy
Sep 24, 2014 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was young, a long time ago, and just learning the joys of reading, sports books were an important part of my life. A lot of fiction and biographies for the young reader(mostly baseball legends if I remember correctly).

THE WALK ON looked like a good chance to get back some of those early feelings.

Alex Myers is a freshman in a Philadelphia school. His parents had separated and mom wanted to move closer to family. Alex is a quarterback with a strong arm and tries out for the high school team
Grant
Mar 27, 2017 Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a very interesting book and it really kept me on the edge of my seat. I wanted to know more so I started reading the next book.
Elijah Simpao
Mar 08, 2017 Elijah Simpao rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Walk On is a solid 4 out of 5 for me. I enjoyed it a lot because it was cool seeing the come up of Alex and his struggles throughout the season. With having football experience it was cool reading a book about a sport I know so much about. Like listening to how Alex described everything during play I thought was very cool and enjoyable. Overall this book is definitely a good read if you enjoy sports or know a lot about them.
Achantea
Feb 24, 2017 Achantea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Football is a sport that is all about teamwork and getting to know yourself and your abilities on the field. It’s about working with others and allowing them to also reach their full potential as a person and as a football player. Football is watched by thousands every week, and for good reason. Football is such a vicious sport at the professional level and the sport provides good entertainment.
The Walk On is about a boy named Alex, and he just moved to Pennsylvania from Boston because his par
Tyler Greer
Feb 19, 2015 Tyler Greer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book "Walk On" is about a kid named Alex. He is a freshman who just moved to Philadelphia from Boston because of his parents divorce. Alex is a smart kid and that really helps him be good at sports. As soon as Alex gets to Philadelphia the first thing he does is try out for the football team. But there is one problem, the coaches son plays quarterback and so does Alex. Matt, the quarterback is way bigger then Alex and can run but can't throw very
well. The first day of practice the coaches a
Jenn
Feb 18, 2015 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 14-15-gw
Anthony Chornyy
Oct 17, 2015 Anthony Chornyy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Walk On was a great book, one of my favorite books I read this year. It is about a freshman quarterback named Alex Myers who has to beat the older quarterback on steroids(Matt) and deal with Matt's dad(Coach Gordon). Alex's parents are divorced and he lives with his mom. His dad usually doesn't keep his promise to visit often. Alex makes friends like Jonas, Stephen, and Christine. Eventually, time for drug testing begins and Alex is surprised to see his test turn out positive, but Christine ...more
Kristen
May 19, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one has the typical set up I've come to expect from most YA sports books--new kid in town is an amazing athlete, coach is biased and mean, coach's kid is the starter, drama ensues--but this one had enough story twists and engaging, likeable characters to keep me from putting it down. I love the friendships and sportsmanship displayed throughout...sometimes it's nice to read about characters who are genuinely good kids.
Vinnie
Feb 01, 2016 Vinnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, in this book there was lots of suspense and was a very interesting book. I liked how this kid liked to play football and I could kind of relate to how he acted on the field and off the field. Also, this kid did not back down from a challenge, even though he is a freshman he plays like a college player. Overall, this book had lots of drama and was amazing.
Jaquarryean Fair
The walk on was about a boy who is a freshman and plays for the varsity football team at his high school. But he wants to be the starting quarterback but the team already has a starting quarterback.
I recommend that anyone who likes football will love this book.
Justin
Oct 16, 2015 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book
Shane
Jan 26, 2017 Shane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really good if you like football i'm sure you will enjoy it. I liked this book because it was exciting and interesting. It had a really good climax I thought the climax was when they were playing their 3rd to last game against the second best team in there division. It was full of action and drama especially when and after they were done drug testing the players before their biggest game of the year. My favorite parts of the book were when all the football games were played. One thi ...more
Davis Diaz
Jan 19, 2017 Davis Diaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a boy named alex who moves from New York to Pennsylvania because of his parents divorce. Alex was a football star in his hometown and maybe has one of the best arms for his age as a QB. Alex is an incoming freshamn to a new school and he heard that the QB for them is the all state QB and is the coaches son. Alex is determined to start on the varsity team but its hard when the coaches son is an all star. How will Alex get the coaches attention to put Alex in the game.

This was a
Mrs. Cubby Culbertson
Good sports fiction. Fairly predictable until the foreshadowing starts and then the twists kick in!
Joshua Webb
May 21, 2017 Joshua Webb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book! It had a really good twist at the end. i highly recommend it
Becky
What a great book! We listened in the car and were wrapped up in this exciting story with plenty of sports action but also a great story line. I learned a lot about football, made my husband happy, and truly enjoyed the whole book. Well done! (And I am not a sports person!)
Lane
Mar 09, 2017 Lane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: football
an excellent youth sports book with an interesting story and realistic characters. The best compliment I can give John Feinstein is that his book took me back to my youth and reading Clair Bee's Chip Hilton series.
Jessie R
Nov 30, 2015 Jessie R rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jessie Rosser
Mrs. Jester
Pd. 4-5
November 25, 2015

Dear Mrs. Jester
I recently read the book The Walk On, written by John Feinstein. It was a very good book, I would rate it a 9 out of 10. I rated it a 9 out of 10 because overall the book was great but I think that it took a while for the book to kick into gear, it was very slow. Also, I didn’t like how the book ended, it ended with the team heading into the state championship. “He called out three colors, took the snap, felt the ball in his hands,
Zoe Reffitt
Apr 10, 2017 Zoe Reffitt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bestselling sportswriter John Feinstein creates a new series for 6th Grade and up featuring a student-athlete, Alex Meyers, who tries be a starting Quarterback.
Alex Meyer is beginning his freshman year of High School at Chester High Heights. Alex is a quarterback selected to be on Varsity, but he can’t be the starting quarterback due to the head coach's son, Matt Gorden.

Adrian Valle
Do you think this is a good book? this book is about a genre about a kid who wanted to join the football team in his school for a season. This book is realistic fiction it's about football. (The author opinion of the book is Alex was good enough to play for the varsity team he wanted to tryout out of quarterback but two thousand students were trying out. ***Spoiler Alert*** he made the football team.
Alex is trying out of the school and make it to be the quarterback that everybody wants to be
Mary Kincaid
Nov 15, 2015 Mary Kincaid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE WALK ON: THE TRIPLE THREAT-BOOK 1
By John Feinstein
Alfred A Knopf, New York, 2014
ISBN 978-0-385-753348-7 (ebook)
Paperback: $7.99

This is the first of The Triple Threat Series about Alex Myers, a high school freshman who had to change schools because his parents are divorcing. Alex is a star athlete who has to prove himself at his new school. This story is about football and his trials as a triple string quarterback.

Here is the opening paragraph:

“Twelve is taken. Make the team and then you can
Mary Beth
Oct 07, 2016 Mary Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moving to a new town because your parents are separating stinks. It's even worse when your skills as a quarterback never get a chance to be used because the established starting quarterback's dad is also your new drill-Sargent of a coach.

Although Alex Myers does mange to make the varsity team as a freshman, he understands very quickly that he is not likely to see any play time because his new coach is unwilling to let anyone other than his own son play the quarterback position. As much as Alex w
Kirsten
When Alex Myers moves into town, his biggest goal is to earn a spot on the varsity football team. Even though he is a freshman, he knows he has what it takes to be the starting quarterback. What Alex couldn't have anticipated was that the position was already taken - by the coach's own son. While Alex proves himself on the practice field, earning the nickname "Goldie" from his teammates for his 50-yard throws, it seems like he'll never get any playing time during a game. All that changes when th ...more
Ms. Yingling
Jun 09, 2014 Ms. Yingling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feinstein, John. The Walk On (Triple Threat #1)
September 9th 2014 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young

Alex Myers moves to a new town because his parents are divorcing, and finds, to his dismay, that the football position he plays, and is good at, is taken by the coach’s son. He’s not alone—there are other players who are not going to be able to play quarterback not so much because of Matt Gordon (who has some weakness in his throwing abilities) but because of Coach Gordon. No one doubts Coach’s re
Cassandra Smith
Jan 18, 2017 Cassandra Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Walk On" by John Feinstein is a story about a kid named Alex's quest to become the starting quarterback for his high school football team. Alex tries out for football at his new school and despite having what his teammates call a "golden arm" because of his incredible football-throwing skills, Alex finds himself as third-string quarterback. Alex is better than the starter, that much is certain to everybody, but then why isn't he starting? The starting quarterback is the head coach's son. Th ...more
Layton
Dec 03, 2015 Layton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all of my friends who play sports
Recommended to Layton by: one of my classmates
I gave this book 5 stars because it is very hard to write about high school life without making it to dramatic but yet not making it boring. John Feinstein made this book very intriguing and has a hook from the beginning. I gained the knowledge of knowing that high school can be a crooked place and that seniority and popularity usually trump everything else. The overall theme of this book is that age does not matter and seniority is not always at the top like it should be. The book is in chronol ...more
Cheryl
Sep 13, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
 Alex "Goldie" Myers - quarterback

THE WALK ON is the first book in a trilogy about Alex Myers, triple threat, meaning that he is an outstanding athlete in three sports - football, basketball and baseball. This first book is about the football skills he brings to Chester Heights High School.

He and his mom and sister move to Philadelphia from Boston after his parents go through a divorce. So even though probably 90% of the book is focused on football, the remaining portion does focus on family iss
Sean Unabia
Jan 26, 2017 Sean Unabia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is Alex really taking steroids? This genre is fiction.

Alex mom and dad separated. Alex lives with his mom. His mom moved closer to her family. Alex is a typical teenager. He is in high school. He is going to try out for the high school football's team as a quarterback. He makes it but the coach put his son as the starting quarterback. He takes a drug test few weeks later and they said he has steroids in him.

A major event that changed the character is when the school was doing a drug test on Ale
Zach Margulis
Sep 12, 2016 Zach Margulis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of three books in the series the triple threat written by John Feinstein. It is about a freshman in high school named Alex Myers who is struggling to be the starting quarterback at Chester Heights high school but he had some competition the starting quarterback Matthew Gordon Jr the coach's son. Last year they made it to the state championship and everyone thought this was Chester Heights year to win it all. But Alex knew he was better than Matthew Gordon because he had seen hi ...more
Barbara
  • QB 1
  • Soar
  • Fourth Down and Inches: Concussions and Football's Make-Or-Break Moment
  • First Team (New Kid, #2)
  • Game Seven
  • Stick
  • Hit Count
  • If You're Reading This
  • Screaming at the Ump
  • Swagger
  • Hunt for the Bamboo Rat
  • Kinda Like Brothers
  • The Contract (The Contract, #1)
  • Vote (Liar, Liar, #4)
  • Hothead
  • The Edge (Peak, #2)
John Feinstein is one of the nation’s most successful and prolific sports authors who has written 24 books to date. His most recent work Are You Kidding Me? , written with Rocco Mediate, was released on May 18, 2009, and is presently on the shelf at bookstores everywhere. In addition, he is an award-winning columnist and regular contributor in both radio and television.

John Feinstein is a 1977 gr
More about John Feinstein...

The Triple Threat (3 books)
  • The Sixth Man (The Triple Threat, #2)
  • The DH (The Triple Threat, #3)