Start by marking “Born at Dawn” as Want to Read:
Born at Dawn

Born at Dawn

Thirty-four-year-old Cynthia Barclay knows that marriage is supposed to be for better or for worse. Unfortunately, for the last ten years Cynthia has experienced the worst that marriage has to offer at the hands of her abusive husband, Marvin Barclay. With the hope of saving herself and her family, she turns to the Lord. When she doesn't see God manifest Himself in her ...more
Published September 30th 2014 by Urban Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Born at Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born at Dawn

Tazzyt2bossye
Sep 10, 2014 Tazzyt2bossye rated it liked it
What do you do when you've taken all you can? Trying so hard to please everyone and you're just disgusted with your entire life. Some say 'stand'...some say 'leave'....some say 'pray'...but what do you do?
Arlena
Title: Born At Dawn
Author: Nigeria Lockley
Publisher: Urban Christian
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 5
Review:

"Born At Dawn" by Nigeria Lockley...

Book Description....

"Thirty-four-year-old Cynthia Barclay knows that marriage is supposed to be for better or for worse. Unfortunately, for the last ten years Cynthia has experienced the worst that marriage has to offer at the hands of her abusive husband, Marvin Barclay. With the hope of saving herself and her family, she turns to the Lord. When she doe
Reader's Paradise
Jul 21, 2014 Reader's Paradise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
This Can’t Be Life

Does for better or for worse mean we continue in the worse until better arrives? Could the covenant of marriage truly mean this? When Cynthia said her wedding vows they meant something to her, especially the for better or worse part. How could she accept the better and not trust that the worse could get better? Not being able to get the BETTER, Cynthia makes a decision that surprised this reader.
She had to go, what else could she go; she had no choice only questions.
After walk
Authors & Readers Book Corner
Nov 25, 2014 Authors & Readers Book Corner rated it really liked it
Cynthia Barclay believes in for better or worse but in survival more. When is it time to say enough is enough? Cynthia reaches this limit in Born at Dawn by Nigeria Lockley. Cynthia leaves to find herself after dealing with her husband’s issues long enough. It breaks her heart to leave her children but it had to be done.

Cynthia moves to Richmond, Virginia with a small amount of money and the belief that she would secure a better a life for her and her children. She becomes a chef and as her dre
Patricia Room With Books
Oct 27, 2014 Patricia Room With Books rated it it was amazing
Born at Dawn is a story of tragedy, truth and reconciliation. Cynthia Barkley has lived with years of humiliation, infidelity and physical abuse in her marriage with Marvin. She’s determined to stay since her marriage vows included for better or for worse. Until it becomes more than she can handle.

Born at Dawn is well-written and incredibly relevant. With the overwhelming attention domestic abuse is receiving in the media, a book that focuses on domestic violence and a beginning toward healing
Desiree Watson
Jul 18, 2015 Desiree Watson rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Cynthia gets fed up with Marvin cheating on her and beating her. She walks out the door one day and does not return for four years, leaving behind her two sons, James and Keith. She moves to Virginia, meets Cheo, who encourages her to open up a restaurant, which she does. She is thriving and doing fine, but all the while James has stopped speaking and Keith has grown fond of the streets and girls.

It is not until Cynthia is reading the paper one day that she finds out her oldest son has been sho
Michelle Lindo-Rice
Aug 04, 2014 Michelle Lindo-Rice rated it it was amazing
Every single word in Born at Dawn has significance, including the title. We meet Cynthia and Marvin Barclay and a hot Latino, Cheo. The relationship issues are not new, but Nigeria Lockley tackles it in a unique way. Predictable is not the word I would use to describe this tale. Unexpected sums it up. The events which unfold took me into the harsh reality of the world she'd created. A really good read and enjoyed the journey. Readers will have plenty to talk about, for sure.
Jackie
Nov 29, 2015 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Born at Dawn tells a story of reconciliation and restoration. The story is well-written and relevant dealing with domestic abuse passed down through generations. The author, Nigeria Lockley, deals with a difficult topic in an emotional and heart breaking read. We see the characters walk through tragedy and heartbreak but through faith in God attain healing, restoration and reconciliation!
Diane Coto
Sep 02, 2014 Diane Coto rated it liked it
What would you do if you were domestically abused? Many of us say, “I wouldn’t put up with that for a minute!” The question in Born at Dawn becomes what did thirty-four year old Cynthia Barclay decide to do? She had started attending church and conferring with Pastor David. He encouraged her to place her trust in God; that only God could repair their broken home. But, Cynthia felt that all God was asking her to do was ‘wait.’ Well, she was tired of waiting and tired of being beat up while she ...more
Wanda
Aug 24, 2014 Wanda rated it really liked it
I was Blessed to receive an Advanced Reader Copy of this book from the author. This is Nigeria Lockley's first novel and I think she is off to a great start as a writer. Her characters were believable and felt "real". They dealt with some real issues (domestic violence for one) that many readers can relate to in a very profound way and it will touch the hearts of many. The characters also remain true to their African American heritage with their dialect. The plot was solid and drew me in very ...more
Cheryl Durham
Dec 24, 2015 Cheryl Durham rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome piece of work. Thanks to the African American Christian Fiction Book Club for selecting this book. This is the author's first published work. I can tell you that I will anxiously await her next book. She masterfully wrote about a topic that we read and hear about far too often: the deterioration of a family because of abuse and infidelity. But, this work goes beyond that.

The author helps us to see how you can become weary while waiting on God and then take things into your o
Dawn
Apr 24, 2016 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purchased
Ok I have a confession. I have had this book for over a year and just decided to read it. When I tell you this book is awesome. Don't sleep on Nigeria Lockley. She knows how to tell a story that reaches to your very core. I will definitely be reading more of her work. Another favorite author added to my list.
Edward Foy
Aug 21, 2014 Edward Foy rated it it was amazing
A nicely executed, compelling story. A very apt title, the realization of which comes toward the very end. Ms. Lockley deftly incorporates an appealing culinary aspect that enhances Born at Dawn's appeal as an engrossing as well as spiritually uplifting read.
Shannan Harper
Jul 28, 2015 Shannan Harper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was Mrs. Lockley's debut novel, and in my opinion, it was excellent. I went through a variety of emotions while reading for a book club meeting this weekend. I will be looking for more of her work.
Lisa Moulton
Apr 10, 2015 Lisa Moulton rated it liked it
I thought this novel was just ok. There was room to really weave a great tale but a lot of what was going on was a little far fetched. There were many editing issues a lot of grammatical errors and I really had a hard time connecting to the plot.
Yarnetta
Dec 09, 2014 Yarnetta rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by this author. I truly enjoyed the book, it was realistic. So many women go through domestic violence, the author did a great job a bring the message across.
Nichelle
Nov 23, 2015 Nichelle rated it it was amazing
It's been awhile since I stayed up late to finish a book but this was WELL WORTH it. This was a great debut novel. So glad my public library purchased even if it was only in the E-book format..
Tamara Young
Apr 29, 2015 Tamara Young rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely awesome!!!!!!!!!
Carolynnette Taylor
Jun 15, 2015 Carolynnette Taylor rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by this author. I was not disappointed. Can't wait to read another.
OOSA
Dec 14, 2014 OOSA rated it liked it
Sometimes Leaving is Easy. Sometimes It’s Not

Marvin and Cynthia Barclay are married and they are raising two boys. Marvin works hard to provide for his family. He dreams of having his own business one day, but it's always just out of reach. Cynthia nurtures her family and tries to take care of everyone, even when she can't figure out where she lost herself. A frustrated Marvin makes for an uneasy household. At one time it wasn't often that he hurt her, but now it's becoming a regular occurrence.
M. Simone Boyd
M. Simone Boyd rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2015
Cassandra Haywood
Cassandra Haywood rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Maurice Jr.
Maurice Jr. rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Nyoka D Woods
Nyoka D Woods rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Latasha Belk
Latasha Belk rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2014
Vivian Kay
Vivian Kay rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Vicki
Vicki rated it liked it
May 25, 2015
Tilisia George-burnett
Tilisia George-burnett rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Jessica Burlingame
Jessica Burlingame rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
  • Going Solo (New Song)
  • When Rain Falls (Victory Gospel Series, #1)
  • Hitting the Right Note
  • A Time to Dance (Mama B, #2)
  • Redeeming Waters
  • An Amish Gift: A Novel
  • A Fem's Playground
  • Pieces of Me: Finding Heather Jones
  • Cameron 5
  • In Our House: Perception Vs Reality
  • Girl in The Glass (The Healer's Shadow #1)
  • Remember Me (The Hawk and the Dove #6)
  • Miss Scandalous: Miss Scandalous Shaw Family Saga, Book 2
  • Goodnight, Brian
  • All for Love
  • The Runaway Pastor's Wife
  • Spring Shadows (Seasons Of Love, #3)
  • A Path Toward Love
Nigeria Lockley possesses two Master's degrees, one in English Secondary Education, which she utilizes as an educator with the New York City Department of Education. Her second Master's degree is in Creative Writing. Born at Dawn is Nigeria's first published novel. Nigeria serves as the Vice President of Bridges Family Services, a not-for-profit organization that assists student parents interested ...more
More about Nigeria Lockley...