Start by marking “Margaret Sanger: An Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Margaret Sanger: An Autobiography

Margaret Sanger: An Autobiography

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Story of a remarkable life and the history of a movement.
Published November 1st 1999 by Cooper Square Press (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Margaret Sanger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Margaret Sanger

Mahmoud Haggui
مارجريت سانجر. أحد أعلام الدارونية الإجتماعية "سوشيال داروينزم" و مُبدعة شعار "تحديد النسل" تدعو إلى القضاء على الفقراءوليس الفقر "من أرحم ما تفعله الأسر الكبيرة لواحد من أطفالها هو أن تقضى عليه"، فأبشع ما قد يُورث للأجياء القادمة الغباء الذى يسرى فى دماء الفقراء "قمامة البشر" فتدعو إلى إغلاق الجمعيات الخيرية و قطع يد العون التى تحنو عليهم. لكن بالعودة إلى سيرتها الذاتية تجد أنها أخت لثمانية عشر أخ و ماتت أمها بالسل فكانت ترعى اخوتها و بدلاً من أن يدفعها ذلك للعطف على الفقراء حدث ما لا يليق بعاق ...more
Laura Hodo
Jan 17, 2008 Laura Hodo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a bit of hero worship for Margaret Sanger. I love that she spent her life desperately trying to educate women on their bodies despite the opposition of men who spent their lives desperately trying to control women by witholding vital medical knowledge from them. But most of all I love that she was successful in her efforts.
Meg
Fascinating and lively read. Sanger's strong, quirky, single-minded personality comes through in her writing, and she gives evocative descriptions of all her travels and doings. It was very inspiring to read about how hard she and her colleagues worked just to be able to TELL people about birth control. (And scary that people are still trying to roll back many of these rights, and we are still facing some of the same challenges today, almost 100 years later.)

The problem was that I'd be reading a
Dawn
Mar 06, 2013 Dawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Isms, in my opinion, are not good. A person should not believe in an Ism; he should believe in himself." - Ferris Bueller

Margaret Sanger believed in herself, and a LARGE number of Isms. She was a proponent of Malthusianism, Neo-Malthusianism, Socialism, Humanitarianism, Individualist Anarchism, and Agnosticism; was embraced by believers in Syndicalism and Theosophism; and disagreed with adherents of Feminism, Marxism, and Roman Catholicism.

Surprisingly, the Isms became the highlight of her auto
Emily
Aug 25, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading about Sanger who I knew very little about up until now. Melinda Gates reminds me of a modern Sanger with her zeal for improving the lives of women and their children by allowing them to space their pregnancies using birth control.

Sanger speaks of her experiences in New York and all around the world seeing the state of the poor and practicing nursing. I felt gratitude for her work in changing legislation in our country, paving the way for more information about birth con
Brie
Jun 02, 2014 Brie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I personally believe that the best way to learn about history is to read autobiographies of people who lived during that time and/or personally experienced the event, rather than current, biased opinions of history from modern scholars. Taking this into consideration, I decided to tackle the controversial subject of Margaret Sanger and her birth control plight.
I have always found it amusing how people classify Margaret Sanger as a heroin, even with her stance on race and class. I decided to m
Susan
Apr 07, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow ...more
HeavyReader
Jul 01, 2007 HeavyReader rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with questions about Margaret Sanger
Shelves: life-stories
I have mixed feelings about Margaret Sanger. On the one hand, she believed in the use of eugenics and she had a lot to do with the birth control pill, which I think is problematic at best, being invented. On the other hand she saw the intense problems having lots of children caused for women (and men too!) and wanted to help people control their fertility.

She definitely did a LOT to enable people to control their fertility and to not have kids if they didn't want kids. I feel like I owe her a lo
Sharon
Aug 21, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential for anyone who even thinks that reproductive freedoms are negotiable. Margaret Sanger, while disapproving abortion, prefers to help women gain control of their lives with birth control. A pretty thorough explanation of all the research, speaking, writing, and stubbornness that went into securing a woman's right just to find out about birth control, and develop a professional medical procedure for distributing it.
Michele
Apr 25, 2012 Michele rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Class reading. Don't know what to say. There was a lot of detail, and she covered her early life, her efforts to obtain birth control for women, and her later life. However, of all the women we studied this semester, I liked Sanger the least. I can appreciate what she did for women, but I don't think I cared for the person at all.

Another book I was glad to finish and leave behind.
Kirsten Rodning
Dec 08, 2009 Kirsten Rodning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I hadn't realized just what an important impact Margaret Sanger had on our history and current lives until I decided to write a paper on her. For my paper, I read this book, and I am so glad I did -- from reading Sanger's own words about her life and her mission, I feel that I have connected with a very powerful, amazing woman.
Emma
Jun 22, 2010 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
follows the trials and tribulations of this unapologetic activist...the successes and the failures...
Cheryl
Mar 29, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tedious but interesting
Tiina
Tiina marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Eileen Tsonis
Eileen Tsonis rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Ciara
Ciara marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Andre Bradford
Andre Bradford marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Dottie Fromal
Dottie Fromal marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Colin Thomson
Colin Thomson marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Adrian Brown
Adrian Brown marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Dolora Neumaier
Dolora Neumaier is currently reading it
Mar 27, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Fergus
Fergus marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Tessa Kolstad
Tessa Kolstad marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Pascale
Pascale marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
  • Contraception and Abortion in Nineteenth-Century America: A Critical Edition of the "Symphonia Armonie Celestium Revelationum" (Symphony of the Harmon
  • Woman of Valor: Margaret Sanger and the Birth Control Movement in America
  • Daring to Be Bad: Radical Feminism in America, 1967-1975
  • Lying-In: A History of Childbirth in America, Expanded Edition
  • Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony
  • Devices and Desires: A History of Contraceptives in America
  • The Morning After: Sex, Fear, and Feminism
  • Heartbreak: The Political Memoir of a Feminist Militant
  • Women of the Golden Dawn: Rebels and Priestesses: Maud Gonne, Moina Bergson Mathers, Annie Horniman, Florence Farr
  • Pre-Raphaelite Sisterhood
  • Margaret Mead: A Life
  • In Our Time: Memoir of a Revolution
  • How the Pro-Choice Movement Saved America
  • Roller Derby: The History and All-Girl Revival of the Greatest Sport on Wheels
  • Bella Abzug: How One Tough Broad from the Bronx Fought Jim Crow and Joe McCarthy, Pissed Off Jimmy Carter, Battled for the Rights of Women and Workers, ... Planet, and Shook Up Politics Along the Way
  • Century of Struggle: The Woman's Rights Movement in the United States, Enlarged Edition
  • Bird Of Paradise: The Colourful Career of the First Mrs Robinson
  • Hellions: Pop Culture's Rebel Women
Margaret Higgins Sanger Slee was an American birth control activist and the founder of the American Birth Control League (which eventually became Planned Parenthood). Although she initially met with opposition, Sanger gradually won some support for getting women access to contraception. In her drive to promote contraception and negative eugenics, Sanger remains a controversial figure.
More about Margaret Sanger...