Start by marking “My Summer With George” as Want to Read:
My Summer With George

My Summer With George

2.97 of 5 stars 2.97  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In 1977, Marilyn French inspired a generation of feminists with The Women's Room. Twenty years later she still refuses to go quietly, play with the grandchildren, and prune the roses, as women of a certain advanced age are supposed to. Instead, she has written a romantic novel, and true to her youthful vigor, it is a subversive one. French joins Doris Lessing in believing ...more
Published (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about My Summer With George, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Summer With George

Zoë
Picked this book up without knowing much about it–turns out it's not really a young person's book. I don't think anyone who is younger than 50 would enjoy this book no matter what: it's about a sixty-something-year-old woman, romance writer Hermione Beldame, who is discovering how she feels about love, desire, and sexuality related to her age. However, not too far in I started to think that even people Hermione's age, who can relate to her, would like this–mostly because all the characters are s ...more
Ilona
How does a woman get to be in her sixties and still respond to attraction and lust like a brainless, hormone-addled 14-year-old? I'd call this woefully discouraging were I not a sexually confident woman in my fifties, who knows from direct experience that many of us manage our libido with a tad more skill than the rather pathetic Hermione. It's not that she lacks intelligence, but that she seems completely unable to apply that intelligence to a sexual/emotional situation.

Hermione is quite clear
Courtney
I can understand exploring the tight hold the belief in fairytale romance has on women, even feminists who, as French says, invent themselves. Yet George never rises beyond the level of an asshole and instead remains unbelievable as the object of any woman's fantasy (would he have seemed desirable to older readers twenty years ago?). As a result, Hermione seems idiotic and the book feels like a political platform for French and her second wave beliefs. While I also share these beliefs, I wondere ...more
Carrie
Not what I expected from this author. I picked it up because I was looking for The Women's Room and it was not available. I stuck with it thinking that it would conclude with something insightful or surprising, but I found neither.
Faith
Jan 11, 2009 Faith rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2005
My Summer with George is a book I found in my mom's bookcase... and it wasn't really what I had expected it to be, for the better and for the worse.

It is about Hermione Beldame, a successful romance writer, who lives a luxurious life in NYC, but who's love life is, well problematic, her being both divorced and widowed twice... Now she is around 60 years old, but the best parts of the book are the glimpses into her past, which wasn't all that glamorous her coming from a poor background.

Well, I
Sarah Sammis
My Summer with George should have been an enjoyable read. Marilyn French writes well, creates interesting characters and believable situations. Her insights into the process of writing were fascinating. Unfortunately the character giving the advice was otherwise so selfish and insecure that I couldn't care for her.

Hermione, the romance writer protagonist, has made a good life for herself. One summer she meets up with a nice man about her age named George. He's thinking of moving to New York to f
Marilyn
Being of similar age as the protagonist, I thought this would be a wonderful read, filled with joy and new-found love etc. Wrong! It is hard to explain where the book went wrong; possibly the entire premise of older women are still lovable and can find "love ever after" in a younger man. Disappointing.
Cindy
A superfast read...
Carol Rizzardi
When a woman of a certain age, as the New York Times calls us, meets a man who is charming and attentive yet brusque and aloof, she reexamines her life and loves. Lots of NY and Long Island color. I enjoyed it, but I'm no sure someone in their 20s or 30s would.
Heather Ormsby
Through a mostly imaginary summer romance, a woman in her 60's rediscovers youthful feelings of romance. I wasn't at all impressed with her crush, but I did enjoy the story of how she survived poverty, moved to New York and became a romance novelist.
Umi
Lagi buku keren Marylin French tentang perempuan matang, setengah baya yang 'jatuh cinta' dan mengalami berbagai peristiwa. Dalam novelnya Marilyn selalu dengan cantik menggambarkan persahabatan dan cinta.
Sarahliz
This made me wonder if I'm misremembering the caliber of the women's room or if this just wasn't anywhere near as good. The last 20 pages finally made me not hate every single one of the characters.
Sue
Author of the famous book, "The Women's Room". Quick Read. Author of romance novels falls in love and has a crush but the man doesn't love her back.
Kiessa
Not French's best work. She didn't exactly go all-out on the title either, which might have been my first clue.
Carole Nasr
i wouldn't recommend this book to a young reader. when i picked it, i was expecting a different thing!
Gabrielle
Jul 15, 2013 Gabrielle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tijdschriftboek
mijn zomer met George
Rya
Rya marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Paige Cookson
Paige Cookson marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Mikalina Kopytko
Mikalina Kopytko marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Siti Istiqomah
Siti Istiqomah marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Maju
Maju marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Little Library
Little Library marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
  • Staring At The Sun
  • Dating Big Bird
  • The Courage Consort
  • Some Time Never: A Fable for Supermen
  • Two Weeks to Remember (The Best of Betty Neels)
  • Savage Land (Texas, Americana, #43)
  • More Than a Friend (Love Stories For Young Adults, #7)
  • The Priest's Madonna
  • Girls' Night Out, Boys' Night In
  • Het geheim
  • Alfie
  • Life and Death
  • The Lost Traveller
  • The Left-Hander Syndrome: The Causes and Consequences of Left-Handedness
She attended Hofstra University (then Hofstra College) where she also received a master's degree in English in 1964. She married Robert M. French Jr. in 1950; the couple divorced in 1967. She later attended Harvard University, earning a Ph.D in 1972.[1] Years later she became an instructor at Hofstra University.

In her work, French asserted that women's oppression is an intrinsic part of the male-d
More about Marilyn French...
The Women's Room  Her Mother's Daughter The Bleeding Heart The War Against Women Our Father