Start by marking “The Fifth Sorceress (Chronicles of Blood and Stone, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Fifth Sorceress

Robert Newcomb

The Fifth Sorceress (The Chronicles of Blood and Stone #1)

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  768 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Not since Terry Goodkind unsheathed the Sword of Truth has there been such an epic tale of heroism and magic that so captures the imagination as this monumental new work by a master storyteller. In The Fifth Sorceress, Robert Newcomb conjures a time and place wrought with exquisite detail, characters vividly drawn and deeply felt, and a history rich in glory and horror, sp ...more
Audio Cassette, Unabridged Audio, 0 pages
Published May 1st 2002 by Books on Tape, Inc. (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Fifth Sorceress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fifth Sorceress

Johnna Adams
Uneven fantasy debut with some great ideas and some murky writing. The world is pretty interesting-- a mist enshrouded kingdom isolated by magic from any neighboring countries and burdened with the memory of a horrific (300 years ago) civil war lead by a coven of evil sorceresses.

The main character Prince Tristan (the chosen one, based on an incredibly elastic and constantly referenced ancient book-length prophecy) is sort of a cardboard cutout of a pretty uninteresting late teens bored and irr
Michael Y. Patuwo
Where do I begin? Honestly, when I read through the first fifty pages of Fifth Sorceress, I thought 'Hey this book ain't so bad... What's with all the terrible reviews?' Then I arrived at the point where Tristan played catch with his horse and I thought, 'Oh.'

This isn't a fantasy story. This is a series of monologues crafted in a shoddy manner to describe a fantasy world that is rampant with cliches and inconsistencies. Every character in this book talks too much, often engaging in aggravating o
Fred
The beginning of this book was a little slow for me and somewhat hard to get into but that only lasted the first fifty pages or so and then I was thoroughly hooked.

One of the reviews said that it was reminiscent of the Song of Ice and Fire and I would agree that there were times I thought of that. Both writers have a somewhat larger than normal propensity for killing off some characters beyond what you would typically experience in many fantasy books.

In some ways I was also reminded of the Whe
Eric
Not sure why so many people did not care for this book. I thought it was amazing! I was captivated the whole time and it was one of those books that really changed me in a way. My only complaint was that some parts were a little to graphic. Wonderfully written!
Chris
Mar 15, 2008 Chris rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This may be the worst fantasy book I've ever read. The characters were silly and the plot was ridiculous. I can't say enough bad things about it. Avoid it like the plague.
Jonathan
Quite possibly the worst book ever written. It fails in every category.
Chad Lynch
I just finished this book a few minutes ago.4/25/2012.
This is a fun story with alot of unexpected turns throughout the entire book. Great writing and well developed characters. The story line was new and inventive and definitely kept me interested in reading the entire book. NOW, that being said, I would have made this into two books instead of one. It took me four months to read and I nearly didn't finish it. I love reading but this book is thick and the story does have a few moments where the
Ylianna
Mar 09, 2012 Ylianna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Biblioghiles of fiction
The Fifth Sorceress

Volume 1 of The Chronicals of Blood and Stone

Wonderful story of magic, sorccery, wizardry, and adventure (some...mature parts).

Prologue, 6 Parts, and an epiloge; 591 pages.

"True peace of mind comes only when my heart and actions are aligned with true principles and values. I shall forsake not, to the loss of all material thhings, my honor and integrity. I shall protect the Paragon above all else, but take no life except in urgent defense of self and other, or without fair warn
Abby
This book fell somewhere between the two and three star mark for me. There was obvious effort to describe the characters, but none of them felt truly real to me. There was the rogue-ish willful prince, the wise old wizard, the evil witches, and Numerous innocent brainless helpless womenfolk. I mean, c'mon, I tend to like old-fashioned gender roles in a fantasy, but PLEASE. Not one of them truly helped themselves; they all needed Tristan to save them.

The magic system was barely satisfactory. It w
Nick
I guess I should have known when the beginning of Robert Newcomb's The Fifth Sorceress bore an uncanny resemblance to the beginning of Terry Goodkind's Blood of the Fold, that I wouldn't care for this book very much. My dislike of Terry Goodkind and his writing skills are well known. A group of sorceresses are taken prisoner on a ship and are being transported to a desolate place where they will no longer be able to hurt anyone. Sound familiar? Well, just as in Goodkind's Blood of the Fold, this ...more
Amir
I liked it. I've seen a lot of other reviewers on here give it a bad review but I saw something different. Of course it's not a perfect story, but I thought it was good. The characters were interesting and the story held my attention. I wanted to keep reading. Yes, Tristan seems dumb as a box of rocks at first but he needs time to grow and evolve as the story takes place. He's a typical spoiled royal. So just keep that in mind.
Gillian
So far, so good...sticks to the traditional fantasy genre plot lines (boy must grow up and face his responsibility as hero of mankind, as well as discover his secret magical powers). Pretty well written, never boring...would recommend although I don't know how many books are in this series or if I will regret committing to reading this (i.e. Wheel of Time- I can't make it past Crossroads of Twilight). Anyway, enjoy, fellow nerds!
Steen
I must say at first I absolutely hated this book. I found the story somewhat intriguing but it seemed things would happen out of convince for the author as apposed to things feeling like they happened because they did. I hated the way he wrote it and he used the same sentances to describe things. ie "and Tristan saw something that he would never forget" about a million times. Whatever. But I wanted to give the book a chance for two reasons [1:] because this was the authors first novel and I was ...more
Walter Mark
The Fifth Sorceress is a mildly entertaining book fantasy with a good amount of action. However, I do have some reservations about the book.

First, the characters are one-dimensional. It's hard to really care about these characters because they don't seem to have any depth.

Second, there are holes in the plot of the book. Some decisions made by the characters and some events that take place, are not clearly defined. You are left thinking, "Why didn't they do this?" or "How did that happen?" a few
Shaw Sande
I wasn't surprised to find out partway through that this was his first book. That's about the nicest way I can put how I felt about it. Several times while reading I found things that had been written out of order, which drove me nuts. Various parts of the plot just seemed ad-libbed or held together with duct tape. I don't think I can make myself read the other 5 in the series.
Everett Renshaw
I half-heartedly read the first five chapters of The Fifth Sorceress by Robert Newcomb (2002), knowing it had received generally unfavorable reviews from fans of the epic fantasy genre. (It has an Amazon rating of like 2.25 stars, which is pretty bad for a book from a major publisher.) Five chapters might not sound like much, but the chapters in this book are miles long. Five chapters works out to 149 pages or 25% of the book.

You might think that within 149 pages, some sort of exciting plot woul
Tom

You might think that within 149 pages, some sort of exciting plot woul
Jen
Andrew Cormier
This was a very interesting start to a series that kind of sputtered out around book 4 or 5 for me. But, I definitely think this book by itself is a great fantasy tale.
Fiona Burgess
I really enjoyed this book. I found it to hard to put down. It was exciting and in parts fly by the seat of your pants thrilling. I have read other's reviews and all I can say is everyone has different points of view. As for me I became immersed in the characters and the story line and cannot wait to start the next book just to read how Christian evolves into the wizard he is predestined to be. This is a story based on fantasy not on hard believable facts, as with all fantasy stories it is writt ...more
Peter Sylvester-smith
Rollicking good tale, well written and imaginative. Excellent wall paper for the mind.
Katie
The beginning is kind of hard to muddle through but once you do, it is so worth it!
Brendan
I was very excited to start up an epic fantasy series from a new author when I picked up this book. The prologue was a great hook. And then for the rest of the book I kept feeling like I was waiting for it to really start. The magic is not explored in nearly enough detail. It consistently felt like everything interesting was either glossed over or left to be explained in later books. It also consistently flirted with trying to be risque or adult and then managed to chicken out every time. Combin ...more
Stephanne Stacey
Not a book for anyone that cannot or does not want to be poorly assaulted by crude and explicit violence and sex. I don't think Robert understands a woman's psyche well enough to pull off the evil manipulation that he was trying to achieve. The story felt choppy at times and unfulfilled at others. Almost like he threw several short stories together without attempting to merge them. Really debating on going on to the next book. I'll sit on it and if it itches in a month I'll attempt the second.
Brenda
Beware. My 10-year-old was reading this and stopped due to immoral scenes and attitudes. p72 "And although the poor fool had unsuspectingly done his best to give them children, she only tolerated his inadequate and unexciting lovemaking..."; p80 "A wink from a pretty girl at a party doesn't always result in climax but only a fool won't take the opportunity to find out." The main prince Tristan is "the father of Shailiha's unborn child."--too many immoral themes for my family's taste.
Trevor
This book is fun, but I could see similar fantasy novels be written in a less standard fashion. He has an intricate world in which his characters live, fully realized it seems, in plot and setting, yet the devices he uses to narrate the story get stale after some time. I wanted to just read a fantasy book though, and this does the trick. It is an interesting plot and the characters are relatable. The gory and graphic descriptions could be cut down a bit too, but I guess it's fine.
Jason Kauffman
The premise of this book sounded really great and I was excited to pick it up and read it. But, the way the author would switch between viewpoints in the middle of a page and back was hard to get used to. Additionally, the way certain aspects of the magic system and the people's actions were described turned me off to the book. I could not finish reading the book and I usually do not walk away from a book without finishing it but in this case I did.
Joshua
This remains one of the only books I have started and never finished, and not for lack of trying. I kept attempting to come back and finish it, to more and more painful results. Largely reads like a second draft written by an overzealous but not overly intelligent 17 year old.
Okay, for me I did not like this book. I'm sorry, but the main character comes across as dumb as a rock. It seems like the characters spend all their time sitting around a table trying to figure out how to defeat the bad guys and...I don't know, it just didn't work for me.
Liz H
I can't say anything good about this book except that it makes Goodkind, mentioned in lots of comparisons, look like a literary genius. There is so much bad that listing all the terrible things would take too long so I'll jut say that "everything" is awful. Ugh.
  • Circle at Center (Seven Circles Trilogy, #1)
  • Well of Darkness (Sovereign Stone, #1)
  • The Way Between the Worlds (The View from the Mirror, #4)
  • The Chosen
  • The Wyrmling Horde (Runelords, #7)
  • Hinterland (Godslayer Chronicles, #2)
  • Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)
  • The Duke's Ballad
  • Lord of Snow and Shadows (Tears of Artamon, #1)
  • The Gold Falcon (The Silver Wyrm, #1; The Dragon Mage, #4)
  • The Thief's Gamble (The Tales of Einarinn #1)
  • Reign of Shadows (The Ruby Throne Trilogy, #1)
  • The Ill-Made Mute (The Bitterbynde, #1)
  • The Usurper's Crown (Isavalta, #2)
  • The Veil of a Thousand Tears (The Pearl Saga, #2)
Robert Newcomb travelled widely in his youth as a member of the American Institute for Foreign Study. He now lives in Florida. The Fifth Sorceress marked his début and is the first book in 'The Chronicles of Blood and Stone' trilogy. The second volume, The Gates of Dawn, is also published in Bantam paperback and the concluding novel, The Scrolls of the Ancients, in Bantam Press trade paperback.
More about Robert Newcomb...
The Gates of Dawn (The Chronicles of Blood and Stone #2) The Scrolls of the Ancients (The Chronicles of Blood and Stone, #3) Savage Messiah (The Destinies of Blood and Stone, #1) A March into Darkness (The Destinies of Blood and Stone, #2) The Rise of the Blood Royal (The Destinies of Blood and Stone, #3)