Start by marking “Colin Cowie Chic: The Guide to Life As It Should Be” as Want to Read:
Colin Cowie Chic: The Guide to Life As It Should Be

Colin Cowie Chic: The Guide to Life As It Should Be

A handbook for living well in the twenty-first century

From legendary lifestyle expert Colin Cowie comes the last word in living a gracious, sensuous life on any budget. Colin draws back the curtain on his own chic, passionate, 120-miles-per-hour life, revealing how to create and entertain in an inviting home, garner respect in the workplace, and travel with ease and comfor
Published December 31st 2007 by Potter Style

To ask other readers questions about Colin Cowie Chic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Colin Cowie Chic

Ashley Katsuyama
Sep 03, 2009 Ashley Katsuyama rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
Although you must be filthy rich to pull off half the suggestions listed in this book (even Cowie's "economical" suggestions aren't really all that economical), I found it full of helpful tidbits on entertaining and leading a more pleasure-filled life. He is certainly a perfectionist though, so I believe that many of his suggestions have to be taken with a grain of salt as they aren't so practical for everyday use.
Bliss
I should have judged this one by its cover and left it on the shelf...

But I thought I recalled his name being associated with Oprah's and I thought I might miss something good if I didn't at least peek.

The first turn off was the formatting of the pages. The font face, the size of the print, the sepia-tone of most of the photos, the colors of the text. *sigh*

And then I get to page 71, where he's speaking about the luxury of having domestic help. Ah, yes...

I had to close the book when he made it c
Meghan
Aug 09, 2010 Meghan rated it it was ok
The beginning of this book may have ruined the rest of it for me: if I had known I'd be reading about Colin Cowie's/Oprah's lifestyle and how they maintain their Fancypants, globe-trotting selves, I'd think, "Well, that was very descriptive" and move on.

However, the author asserts at the beginning of this book that anyone can live a chic life if they follow his suggestions. He was obviously not suggesting that we all tap into his bank account, which made me think "Yay! He'll show us internal or
Jake Wilton
Feb 22, 2012 Jake Wilton rated it it was amazing
When you're unsure of how to act or what to do, Chic will guide the way. A great book to know how some simple things in life can make a big impact, especially simply put by knowing have pre-wrapped gifts on-hand for any occasion. A great read for anyone who is into entertaining, lifestyle and really anything Chic
Apr 19, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Loved, loved, loved this book. Colin is really amazing and has some great tips for making every day life more special. Great reminders about etiquette, although I am not sure there are enough hours in the day to do all he suggests! Fun to dream about that type of lifestyle, though, took me to another place which is what a good book is all about!
Linda Ethier
Feb 26, 2013 Linda Ethier rated it liked it
While this book supposedly describes how to live with style and grace within any budget, some of the suggestions would be more appropriate for the upstairs habitues of a 21st century Downton Abbey. Nevertheless, a fun read with some useful reminders about organization and etiquette that could be of benefit to anyone.
Holly
Dec 14, 2009 Holly rated it it was ok
It had some good ideas but it is very clear that his lifestyle and the problems he has are very different from mine...One that stands out is I don't have to worry about how I handle my hired help. I clean my own damn house.
Relyn
Mar 11, 2016 Relyn rated it it was ok
I had to read this book. I mean, what kind of man thinks he can tell people how life should be? Really. What makes someone qualified to to tell us how our life should be. Such confidence intrigues me. Too bad his book wasn't a more interesting read.
Emily
Apr 09, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
This book has great pictures and is enjoyable to look through. However, there isn't really anything new in it, and, as others have noted, most of his suggestions and tips aren't practical for most people.
Hadley
Jan 31, 2008 Hadley rated it it was amazing
Those of us with OCD will see this book as being practical...others may find it a little over the top. I find the detailed lists and total organization soothing. I also really love the luxe photo layouts.
gina
Dec 09, 2011 gina rated it liked it
How to live, travel, work in style. A little bit of everything from how to organize a cupboard, ot pick out a good wine, to how to pack your suitcase or fire an employee (yikes).

An easy flip through and enjoy type read.
Jamie
Jan 27, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing
I would LOVE to be personal friends with Colin Cowie. This book is a guide to living an uber-elegant lifestyle. Some of the tips are extremely insightful, and others I will never use, but it's fun to imagine that I might...like how to treat your housekeeper and that you should iron your sheets.
Renee
Feb 08, 2009 Renee rated it really liked it
Great book that I will most likely buy and keep as a reference. Full of tips for top notch entertaining on any budget. Quick read, full of fun ideas and a great cocktail recipes.
Dionne
Mar 06, 2008 Dionne rated it it was ok
A little bit basic and too much information. It goes as far as random work etiquette tips too - which are important - but I had hoped he would focus more on his rules of style and decor.
Benmink
This guy is amazing. He's just brilliant. He offers lifestyle tips on hosting parties and basically how to make things look nice.
Carol
Dec 01, 2008 Carol rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
This is written more toward a young person just creating their home space. Some good organizational stuff.
Ashley Smith
Mar 20, 2008 Ashley Smith rated it liked it
A very good book with a lot of ideas but if I emcompassed all his ideas I would be exhausted and very poor (but very chic).
Kim
Jun 28, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
seriously would have ripped out pages for inspiration - had it not been a library book. a bit high society (don't even plan on employing a maid) but some really good ideas.
Kim
Jan 06, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
I just got this book for Xmas, and it's a great coffee table book. He's got a lot of great ideas, and it's a good book to give friends as gifts.
Darlene
Darlene rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2008
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2008
Becky Griffin
Becky Griffin rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2014
Rissa
Rissa rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2008
Meredith
Meredith rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Donnie Luehring
Donnie Luehring rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Lorraine
Lorraine rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2014
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2009
Wendy B
Wendy B rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2016