Start by marking “The Master of Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Master of Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #10)

The Master of Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna #10)

Renny attempts to carry on the family tradition after the death of his grandfather. He faces a financial crisis in the effort to keep the estate intact.
Mass Market Paperback, 286 pages
Published November 12th 1975 by Fawcett (first published June 1933)

To ask other readers questions about The Master of Jalna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Master of Jalna

Mar 27, 2012 Holly rated it liked it
When I first read THE MASTER OF JALNA, I was very angry at author Mazo de la Roche. Previously I had loved the Whiteoak Saga as related in JALNA, WHITEOAKS OF JALNA and FINCH'S FORTUNE. I'd been looking forward eagerly to the next installment. But in this book, de la Roche does several (to my mind) unforgivable things:

(1) She killed off Eden Whiteoak, my favorite character! Halfway through the book Eden dies horribly of tuberculosis, coughing up blood in his sister's spare bedroom. This upset me
Lelia Taylor
Feb 26, 2012 Lelia Taylor rated it really liked it
Shelves: full-reviews
The Master of Jalna
Mazo de la Roche
Pan Books, Ltd., 1954 (first published in 1933)
ISBN 0330202626
Mass Market
Also available as a trade paperback re-issue from XYZ Publishing

The Master of Jalna is the fourth by publication date, tenth by story chronology, of 16 novels spanning a hundred years from 1854 to 1954. Known as the Whiteoak Chronicles or the Jalna series, they told the saga of a Canadian family and Jalna, the family manor. The books are usually listed chronologically by story line rather
Meg Ulmes
Mar 16, 2012 Meg Ulmes rated it really liked it
I am reading the Jalna series one book after another and with each book I read, I am more hooked on the Whiteoak family. This book really carries the story forward in many ways as several family members are lost and new ones are born. Renny takes center stage as he makes decisions that please him, but do not necessarily make his family happy. I am ready to read the next installment in the story--as soon as it gets here from the library.
Kristine Morris
The whole family returns to Jalna and the saga continues. It's too bad I am not reading these in order - get's a little confusing, although after 7 books, I think I have most of the family lines straight. Mazo de la Roche writes beautifully about the countryside and the changing of seasons and she has a way with expressing the thoughts of her characters in such human (and not necessarily nice) terms.
Nov 23, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it
As the melodrama continues everyone seems (as always) at cross purposes. Times are bad at Jalna, and although everyone is happy as ever to live off of Renny, everyone is ticked off at his way of funding it. As always, oddly, Piers, who seems the simplest most straightforward brother is the one most sensitive to the desires of others, although he doesn't always act on his perceptions.
Francine rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2013
Anne Murphy
Anne Murphy rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Carol H.
Carol H. rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2009
Ruth Sawyer
Ruth Sawyer rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2014
Serena Rotunno
Serena Rotunno rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Jaclyn rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Jackie Sande
Jackie Sande rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Lorraine rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Trishlittle rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2014
Gwen57 rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Madeline rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2012
Wendy Bertsch
Wendy Bertsch rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Aga rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2014
Karen-Leigh rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Adriana rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2013
Edel Crummey
Edel Crummey rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Beatrice rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2013
Cristina rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Anisha rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2011
Anca rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Kaisapas rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2013
Jan rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2011
Shreen Gough
Shreen Gough rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Divide
  • No New Land
  • The Blue Helmet
  • How Happy to Be
  • Cold Comfort: A Detective Barry Gilbert Mystery (Detective Barry Gilbert Mysteries)
  • More Joy in Heaven (New Canadian Library)
  • Barometer Rising
  • The Rules of Engagement
  • Leaving Earth
  • In a Glass House
  • Raymond and Hannah
  • In the Land of Long Fingernails
  • Looking for X
  • The Big Bazoohley
  • Do or Die (Inspector Green Mystery, #1)
  • Your Sad Eyes and Unforgettable Mouth
  • The Incomparable Atuk
Mazo de la Roche, born Mazo Louise Roche, was the author of the Jalna novels, one of the most popular series of books of her time.

The Jalna series consists of sixteen novels that tell the story of the Canadian Whiteoak family from 1854 to 1954, although each of the novels can also be enjoyed as an independent story. In the world of the Whiteoaks, as in real life, people live and die, find success
More about Mazo de la Roche...

Whiteoaks of Jalna (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Building Of Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #1)
  • Morning at Jalna (Whiteoaks Of Jalna, #2)
  • Mary Wakefield (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #3)
  • Young Renny (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #4)
  • Whiteoak Heritage (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #5)
  • Whiteoak Brothers (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #6)
  • Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #7)
  • Whiteoaks Of Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #8)
  • Finch's Fortune (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #9)
  • Whiteoak Harvest (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #11)