Start by marking “The Body Spoken” as Want to Read:
The Body Spoken

The Body Spoken

From its first sentence - a startling confession from one stranger to another - this novel unfolds like a haunting cinematic dream. Against the backdrop of the shifting American countryside, each scene peels away layer after layer to bare its characters' secrets until all is at last revealed. Or is it? A man and a woman meet on a train bound for Los Angeles. Each is brimmi ...more
Published March 1st 1999 by Dutton Adult (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Body Spoken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body Spoken

Jody
Jan 19, 2010 Jody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can understand why some readers gave this book a low score, but I liked it. This is the story of a man and a woman who meet on a cross country train trip. Along the way, the woman relates the story of her life to the man, a life that has been a most difficult one. It is not until the last three chapters of the book that we find out the underlying truth. Is this book easy to read? No. Is the subject matter disturbing? Yes. It is worth reading? Most definitely.
Buchdoktor
Jun 07, 2013 Buchdoktor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa
Zwei Menschen treffen sich auf einer Zugfahrt von New York nach Los Angeles. Sie haben sich noch nie zuvor gesehen und werden die nächsten fünf Tage miteinander verbringen. Hemy hat eine traurige, groteske Lebensgeschichte hinter sich. Der Tiefpunkt war die Zeit, als sie in einem Altenheim wie am Fließband Senioren duschte, die in ihren Rollstühlen mit der Seife in der Hand vor der Dusche aufgereiht warteten. Irgendwann in ihrem Leben hatte sie beschlossen, von nun an ein Mann zu sein und nannte ...more
Sep 01, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Heavy stuff! And this is not the kind of book I use to read ... I don't care if the story is a metaphor or not, the story itself is sick! It made me sad and was full of despair and loneliness. I shouldn't have read it on my holidays. Still I somehow liked the book in the end. Perhaps because it was so different from the stuff I used to read.
Rachel McCready-Flora
I read through half of this before putting it down. Usually I like stories that are part tall-tale and I can really get into an unusual narrative or writing style, but I found this far-fetched and contrived.
Komplexus
Apr 11, 2015 Komplexus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since I read this book, but what I can clearly remember is that this is one of the first books that really caught me. By now it is my favorite book.
Diane
Jan 06, 2011 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up at the Freinds of the Library book sale. Really interesting format and story. Worth reading.
Exlibris Joana
Exlibris Joana rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2009
Ja
Ja rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2012
Howl
Howl rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2012
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2012
Laurel
Laurel rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2008
Kym Zurch
Kym Zurch rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2014
Sophie Queer Trash
Sophie Queer Trash rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Zondershelby Arts
Zondershelby Arts rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2012
Amy R
Amy R rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
May 27, 2013
Jami Edwards
Jami Edwards rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Frau Naijn
Frau Naijn rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Sauerkirsche
Sauerkirsche rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2014
Angie Qiu
Angie Qiu rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Pia Neiss
Pia Neiss rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2013
Hanee
Hanee rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2011
Tonya
Tonya rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2008
Marzia83
Marzia83 rated it did not like it
Jul 17, 2012
Judith
Judith rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2014