Start by marking “Nothing Gold Can Stay (Liam Campbell, #3)” as Want to Read:
Nothing Gold Can Stay (Liam Campbell, #3)

Nothing Gold Can Stay (Liam Campbell #3)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  1,581 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
Shocked by a series of brutal, unexplainable murders, Alaska State Trooper Liam Campbell embarks on a desperate journey into the heart of the Alaskan Bush country -- in search of the terrible, earth-shattering truth...
Published October 1st 2000 by Dutton Adult (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing Gold Can Stay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing Gold Can Stay

This is the 3rd entry in the Liam Campbell series, following So Sure Of Death. The story begins approximately one month following the end of the previous novel.

As in the two previous novels, there are two storylines intertwined. One revolves around the murder that is discovered by Wy and the other revolves around the emotional growth of Liam, Wy and, this time, Moses.

And by “emotional growth,” I mean just that; this book is not a romantic suspense. The romance was covered in the first two novel
#3 in the Liam Campbell series.

Alaska state trooper Liam Campbell series - When Liam's lover, pilot Wy Chouinard, discovers the murdered Opal Nunapitchuk while delivering mail at lonely Kagati Lake, she calls Campbell and his assistant, Diane Prince. At first it seems a random assault; then a woman disappears after her husband is killed at their gold mining claim. When the troopers connect the crimes with a 20-year-old string of missing women, they know they're following a previously undetected
Carla Hostetter
Mar 01, 2014 Carla Hostetter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stabenow knows every detail of living in the Alaskan bush from what wild berries to eat to how to fly an air route. This third Liam Campbell is not so much about Liam as it is about his bush pilot lover, Wy, who keeps finding bodies. There are many story threads: Wy's career as a pilot,Liam's law enforcement career implosion when he lost his wife and child, the background of Wy's foster son, the tale of an old shaman who hears voices, a city girl forced to live in the wilderness with her gold cr ...more
Perry Martin
Feb 28, 2015 Perry Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing Gold Can Stay is the third book in the Liam Campbell series. Set in the Alaskan Bush you get a sense of the people and atmosphere of the small community. Marguerite Gavin once again brings the characters to life and the feel of the community comes across in her performance.

Dana Must Love Robert Frost because her book titles come from the Names of his Poems or phrases within his poems.
This book and the series as a whole could be titled "Love and Murder and Murder and Murder". I for one w
Lindsay Boitnott
Nothing Gold Can Stay is my first novel by Dana Stabenow and I enjoyed it. This is another audio book I picked up from the library and it seemed like the perfect winter mystery for my current reading mood. Stabenow didn’t let me down!

Wy’s kick butt flying is the best part of Nothing Gold Can Stay! She obviously did her research because Stabenow nailed the aerial descriptions. It was great reading about good flying and I always appreciate the adventures of a fellow kick butt female pilot!!
Dec 23, 2011 Mom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, forgettable
I like Mysteries
I like Alaska
I do not care for gratuitous sex
I do not care for profanity
Will usually give an author two shots before they are struck from any to-read list
Stabenow will be the exception
not very believable
Apr 08, 2016 T rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh darn, finished the last of the Stabenow/Campbell series.

I think I liked this one the least, had a hard time getting into it with those alternate chapters in some other character's voice....And/or maybe a little too much history for my taste - real history, not story background.

Missing gals. Just disappearing off the face of the earth. Legendary Hairy Man - is he real, is he taking the gals?

New trooper Diana Prince continues to wind up with dead body cases to solve. Jo the newspaper journali
Mar 03, 2015 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
I liked this one--the plot is sort of crazy and the reader/listener needs patience as all of the back stories and victims develop during the story. Stabenow clearly knows Alaska and does a great job writing about the location, people & culture. Some of the characters, Wy and Moses, for example, develop more fully in this book. All of those things seem to enhance the story. Some of the characters and locations are fascinating. Sometimes,I lost track of which/where the characters existed. The ...more
Feb 03, 2012 Susy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge mystery fan but when told about this author who sets her stories in Alaska & includes lots of description about the Alaskan lifestyle I had to read the story. Apparently I began with the 3rd book in this series (subtitle is A Liam Campbell Mystery) but as all good writers are able to do, Stabenow fills the reader in on just enough backstory to meet the characters. Liam Campbell is an Alaskan state trooper who has been "banished" to Newenbam a small community in the Bristol Bay ...more
Douglas Cook
First paragraphs, "Newenham, September 1 A seven-foot Jayco popup camper perched unsteadily in the back of a Ford F250 truck is not the best of all possible beds for a six-foot-two-inch man. Even sleeping corner to corner, Liam’s feet still stuck over the edge. There was no toilet, no shower and no place to hang his clothes, in particular his uniform, which, to uphold the dignity of the Alaska State Troopers, maintain the authority of the judicial system and invoke the might and majesty of the l ...more
Oct 31, 2012 M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liam and his new trooper partner Diana Prince are baffled by shootings and disappearances of women in a concentrated area of the bush. Wy is familiar with the area because of her mail route and flies Liam in to investigate. Moses, Bill, Tim and Amelia are headed to fish camp to get Amelia dried out and so Tim can avoid his birth mom who has managed to be sober a week running. A wilderness crazy man is looking for his next wife--he calls them all Elaine--and kills the husband and kidnaps the wife ...more
Mary Davis
Oct 29, 2012 Mary Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Murder, Mystery, Suspense Readers
Recommended to Mary by: Continuing series
Shelves: books-read-2012
B&N Synopsis:

"Alaska State Trooper Liam Campbell, newly promoted to corporal, is slowly making a home for himself in the remote town of Newenham. Between DUIs and domestic disputes, life is relatively tranquil, until Campbell's girlfriend, bush pilot Wyanet Chouinard, delivers a shipment of mail to a remote post office, where she finds the postmistress murdered. The hunt is on for a killer who seems to have vanished into the Bush ... until another victim is found.

The third book in Stabenow's
Un troisième épisode des aventures de l'Alaska State Trooper Liam Campbell mieux construit et plus consistant que les deux précédents.
On y retrouve avec plaisir Liam & Wy, mais aussi quelques personnages secondaires, notamment Bill, la propriétaire d'un bar local/magistrat, et son compagnon Moses, qui réforme les accidentés de la vie à coup de Tai Chi.
Le changement de point de vue narratif, entre les personnages familiers et ceux liés à l'intrigue policière, créé un récit dynamique.
Entre l'i
Jul 08, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One Amazon reviewer states: “It is set in Alaska at the end of the 20th century. A bad slump in the fishing industry aggravates conditions caused by harsh weather, dark winters, and isolation. There is alcoholism and related domestic violence. Men beat their wives and parents abuse their children. A large number of people sleep around. The Alaska Bush has also become home to a variety of people ranging from eccentrics to a dangerous psycho.” All true, yet the author does such a good job of chara ...more
Deborah Wall
Jul 11, 2015 Deborah Wall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mystery in Alaska

The Liam Campbell series by Dana Stabenow is a fascinating glimpse into life in the Alaska bush. The characters are very real and the stories are compelling enough to keep me reading late into the night.
Sep 12, 2015 Kem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! A cliff hanger ending with a lot of scary waiting along the way. Will Liam move away from Wy? Now I can't wait to read the next Liam Campbell book by Stanenow.
Linda Woodard
Very slow starting and also disjointed jumping from different places and times. Didn't particularly like all the jumping around but the story was good.
Jun 05, 2015 Teri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was good, though the end seems a little truncated. Like she hit a page (or time) limit or something. Still, an enjoyable summer fast read.
Katharine Ott
"Nothing Gold Can Stay" - written by Dana Stabenow and published in 2001 by Signet. An entertaining murder mystery set in Alaska.
Jan 26, 2013 Jeffrey rated it it was ok
I can't believe I had to give one of these books a 2 star rating, but I went there with this one. I had to force myself to finish it.

It was all about the style with this one. I hate books that try to tell us a story about characters that we don't need to know. I do not need to know the backstory of a woman that is going to be killed. That stuff is irrelevant to the story.

I don't read Stabenow's books for the mystery, I read it for the further development of the main characters, and this book did
Kate Shugak! The quintessential female heroine! Great mystery plots on the res in Alaska.
Lisa Wolf
An especially good entry in the Liam Campbell mystery series!
Sep 10, 2008 Sherree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually listened to this on CD in my car, and I really liked it. Lately, the books I've been listening to, even in my preferred genre of mystery thriller, have contained numerous sex scenes. I don't mind when I'm reading, because if I'm not interested, I can just skim or skip. In the car, I have to listen to every word, and sometimes I don't want to hear it, especially first thing in the morning :) This book had only limited sex without all of the graphic details (well, without most of the gr ...more
Deborah Darsie
Jul 26, 2016 Deborah Darsie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-mystery
Corporal Liam Campbell and Trooper Diana Prince are battling what seemed like a series of 3 brutal murders in a small, remote area. As they investigate by splitting up into 2 investigative efforts with Wy's piloting assistance.

Friends, extended family and a very disturbed person led to a disturbing discovery.
Only 3 volumes into the set and I already had an attachment to the denizens of his 'home base'.

CPL Campbell gets a....(ooops, almost spoiled it didn't I?)

A subtly different approach to the
Aug 18, 2012 Marty rated it it was ok
Some of the characters and locations are fascinating. However, there are too many of them and I completely lost track of which creek was which, who lived where and what they did by a few chapters into the book. The writing frequently jumps around with nothing to tie a paragraph into the flow of the plot. I had no idea what the significance was of some of the last four or five paragraphs in the book. And I don't really care to read the details of sex acts being performed by various characters. I ...more
Caryl Thomas
Jul 27, 2015 Caryl Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are such great reads
Apr 28, 2016 Niece rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alaska-series
Alaskan Trooper-Liam Campbell-good mystery series....
I did listen to this one (unabridged) great reader and great story!
Feb 22, 2016 Rox rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good read
Jan 08, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one! Even if the plot is sort of crazy, I liked all the back stories of the victims and how it came together. Reading this after MJ McGrath probably helped--Stabenow clearly knows Alaska and does a great job writing about the location, people & culture. All of those elements felt really natural and relatable to me.
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • Reservations for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #2)
  • Death Trap (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #10)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet (Biggie Weatherford, #6)
  • Hades
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • Martians in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #8)
  • 2 in the Hat
  • The Devil's Closet
  • Deadly Visions
Dana Stabenow was born in Anchorage and raised on 75-foot fish tender in the Gulf of Alaska. She knew there was a warmer, drier job out there somewhere.
More about Dana Stabenow...

Liam Campbell (5 books)
  • Fire And Ice (Liam Campbell, #1)
  • So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
  • Better To Rest (Liam Campbell #4)
  • Restless In The Grave (Kate Shugak, #19 / Liam Campbell, #5)