Start by marking “Uptown Girl” as Want to Read:
Uptown Girl

Uptown Girl

3.22  ·  Rating Details ·  1,113 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
From the bestselling author of The First Wives' Club and Young Wives, a sparkling New York comedy about making plans for other people -- and then tripping yourself up in them. There's something magical about Brooklyn's Billy Nolan. It's not just that he's wickedly attractive, it's that any woman he dates and dumps (and he dates and dumps them all) immediately goes on to ma ...more
Published November 1st 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2003)

Rusu Ilinca
This book is what it's called 'a wacky romance'. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but this was like I was watching a typical american movie with stupid people and stupid situations. I needed music in my earphones almost all the time I was reading it, otherwise I would have stopped and never have taken the book in my hands again.
It is obviously not my type of book. :)
Christine
Dec 12, 2010 Christine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I'm having a bad run, I think, probably because I'm trying to find good contemporary romance and I'm not seeing it. This book was so boring I couldn't keep going. I started skimming furiously after chapter 6, in which we still haven't met Billy and all that's happened so far is Kate's gone to work, bantered with her gay friend, gotten a manicure, and gone to dinner with her boring boyfriend and gay friends. I thought things might get ineresting when her friend comes crashing into her life, sobbi ...more
Jenny
Jul 07, 2012 Jenny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Life is too short to read terrible books. I read about 50 pages before I gave up. The main character was awful - her terrible boyfriend gives her a terrible bracelet and then they go to a terrible dinner. Also, what was the deal between keeping Brooklyn and Manhattan separate? Was that a gimmick of the authors'? I know the two are separate burroughs of New York but as someone who doesn't know the city, why must this play such an important part of the story?

And WHY does Kate want to be friends wi
Jun 17, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now, I realize this book is hot pink (so embarassing to read at the gym!), but it actually is written very well (shocking!)! No, seriously! It's by the same woman who wrote The First Wives Club, which I totally want to read, and rent (the movie) again...
Margaret
Fun summer read...kept moving along at a good pace. Laughs along the way and you do end up caring what happens at the end.
Jenny
Feb 27, 2010 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good, but only in its own way. If that makes any sense at all.
Beth
Dec 09, 2016 Beth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cindy Wyatt
Another chick lit book with a clever premise and a way too predictable ending (I have to stop reading these).
Kara Jorges
Kate Jameson had a difficult childhood. Her mother died when she was young, leaving her in the care of an alcoholic father. Kate was taken in by the Horowitz family, including big-hearted, no-nonsense Mrs. Horowitz, a surrogate mother figure, and Bina, Kate’s best friend. The Horowitzes and Kate’s other friends, dubbed the Bitches of Bushwick, all live on the wrong side of the river for Kate, however, and embody everything about Brooklyn that she strove to leave behind. Kate made a new life for ...more
Alice
Sep 27, 2009 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Olivia Goldsmith's, which is why I put this book on my 2013 TBR Challenge pile. I don't know if this wasn't the best-written of her work, or if my tastes have changed, but I didn't enjoy this quite as much as her other books. I still enjoyed it, but I was also consciously aware of its flaws.

Despite the book's title and its jacket description, the Billy in question doesn't take up much of the story. Instead, the book is about Katherine (Kate) Jameson, who's escaped her bourgeoisie li
Blodeuedd Finland

Kate left her Brooklyn roots and made it to Manhattan. She has a good job and great friends there. But then one of her old Brooklyn friends shows up heartbroken, Bina has fallen apart after her boyfriend left to explore his "singleness". What to do in a situation like this? Well there is always the enigmatic Billy Nolan, all Brooklyn and all gorgeous. Not to mention that when ever he dumps a girl that girls marries the next guy that comes along, and it doesn't take that long either. Could he be
Kate
The Amazon.com review says nearly all of it:

Kate Jameson has outgrown her Brooklyn gang: Bina, Bunny, Barbie and Bev, aka the Bitches of Bushwick. While the Bs still go for French manicures and (gasp) matching furniture, Kate has embraced the urbane life. She has a Chelsea apartment and a neat job as school psychologist at Andrew Country Day "in the best neighborhood in Manhattan." But when Kate meets bad boy bar owner Billy Nolan in her natal borough, she instantly wants to get Brooklyn back in
Wendy
Oct 05, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fall-2009
She's changed her style, but her roots are showing. Katie Jameson left Brooklyn for Manhattan the first chance she got. Her two worlds collide when her best friend Bina needs her help. Olivia Goldsmith's Dumping Billy lured me in with its wit and charm.
The story is based in Brooklyn and in Manhattan. The way Olivia Goldsmith describes the two different Burroughs makes me see the differences in my head. Like when Katie is talking about the little garden outside her apartment window and then she l
Victoria Scott
Honestly, this book wasn't all that good. I didn't expect it to be amazing. You could tell from the blurb it was going to be just a fluffy book that didn't make you think. But that doesn't mean it's allowed to be bad.
First, Kate. She wasn't a very interesting character. I found her predictable, and doesn't stand out from all the other women in the book. She goes on and on about how much she can't stand Brooklyn, then goes back there to see her friends all the time. Her friends who's names all s
Mary
Apr 02, 2009 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was in the mood for something light after a couple of non fiction serious books. And I saw someone had given this four stars. I started and I like it at first and to be honest most of the book I liked in that it was light and entertaining and my mind became blank when reading.

The down side is the writing is mediocre at best and in the beginning it was so banal and cliched I wanted to scream. I actually might have done just that. Once I got adjusted to the writing I started to enjoy the story
Christine Blachford
Feb 06, 2014 Christine Blachford rated it liked it
Plot: Basically, a guy has a reputation as every girl that he dumps gets married a few months later. Kate’s friend wants to get married so they set her up, but as always, the course of true love doesn’t run smoothly and Kate ends up falling for him herself.

Characters: Kate is an interesting heroine, it’s hard to tell if she’s the good guy or the slightly not so good guy, but it all ends well. I love her gay best friend although her friends back home in Brooklyn are just a little too material for
Firstly, I didn't actually read the Kindle edition, it just matched the number of pages to the number in the book I was reading.
Secondly, I don't usually read romantic comedies (that's a lie), I've been experiencing a readers block (that's true) and this book hopefully broke this awful stage (I don't really think so).
Anyway, this book literally made me want to get two gay best-friends, five really eccentric girlfriends and three really hot men chasing me and proposing to me all the time.
Too b
Knitme23
Jun 26, 2013 Knitme23 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A heartily mediocre book: characters were kind of interesting (very stereotypical, many of them, but not 100%), plot kind of original (not 100% sure where it was going to end up), writing kind of interesting (too much telling, too little showing, but certainly not the least original I've ever read). . . Basically, it was an okay book to pay 50 cents for and to rip through, part skimming, on a rainy, dreary afternoon/evening.

People magazine's comment ("What a great feeling to fall into the capab
Lj
Jun 12, 2008 Lj rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone looking for a book they did not need to think about.
I picked this up at the villa in PV since it was raining. The fact that someone willingly left it at a villa in PV ought to say that it was not that great. Fine, very light, but I felt it was poorly written. I found myself wondering if Olivia forgot that she already written that exact portion?
********spoiler************
This book ends with the two main characters hearing The Hokey Pokey at a wedding and "Dumping Billy" tells the "heroine" that "This is what it's all about. Lame. Sorry.
Tiffany
Jul 23, 2013 Tiffany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I literally had to force myself to finish this absolutely boring book. A great deal of nothing happens for a long time, I just kept waiting for this damn billy to show up or something exciting to happen and I shit you not more than halfway through the book and finally he shows up. Now he's not the most likable character, but I ended up liking him much more than the main character who, in all honesty, is a total bitch. It didn't end too bad, if you think that completely cheesy and predictable isn ...more
Alison
Nov 05, 2008 Alison rated it liked it
Just what I needed after ploughing my way through a few 'serious' books - I needed something to zip through to get me into reading again and this was just the job. I read it in a weekend without really needing to think much. The ending was predictable - you knew for certain who Kate would end up with, ditto Bini. But the characterisations were fun - I particularly liked her gay friends and could see them working well in a film adaptation - in fact most of it I could 'see' being filmed well.

All i
Lisa B
Aug 22, 2008 Lisa B rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, its awful
Shelves: fiction, adult
Don't get me wrong-- fluffy chick lit can be great fun, but this bit has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. The book is poorly written, full of repetition and cheesy banter, with flat characters and absurd plot developments. Not only that, but the main character is such a stuck up snot that for the first few chapters, I actually thought she setting up to get taken down a notch. She's not. We're actually supposed to sympathize with her self-righteousness. When I was done with it, I tossed it in t ...more
Rosina
Oct 25, 2016 Rosina rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Uptown Girl is a rather average book with a slightly longer than average length. The plot is okay, the romance is okay and the characters are okay. It's a book you can finish start to finish but not one that stands out in any way.

I was excited when I realized the author had written The First Wives Club. I hadn't read the book but I loved the film and sadly this wasn't as good.

If you have a lot of time on your hands then this book is possibly worth reading, just don't expect to remember much abou
Virginia
Oct 18, 2008 Virginia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a relatively fun read...strikes me as a good candidate screen-play for a nice 'girl' movie. Not much depth to any of the characters--seem to all fit stereotypes. That said, it was still interesting enough all along. Although the characters were pretty shallow, not all of the plot turns were predictable. The ending is a bit too neat, but we can still have little-girl dreams even when we are big, right?
Judith
Nov 28, 2011 Judith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hot-books-read
Dumping Billy by Olivia Goldsmith is chick-lit par excellence. Kate Jameson has worked hard to leave Brooklyn behind, but cannot keep her tony Manhattan friends separate from her frumpy high school girlfriends, the self-proclaimed “Bitches of Bushwick,” especially once they have heard about “Dumping Billy,” a bartending, French-speaking, skirt chaser whose ex-girlfriends always wind up marrying the very next man they date.
Linda
Oct 20, 2008 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It took me until nearly halfway through the book to realize "Dumping" in the title was an adjective not a verb. Predictable despite occasional flashes of charm. It's the be careful what you wish for scenario in many forms. I found the main character's work as a psychologist at a prestigious day school in NYC to be more interesting and compelling than a lot of the book. Would have liked more of that. First book I've read by this author, not going to work to seek out any more.
Tiffany
Feb 23, 2011 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book immensely but I hate that it ended when it did. Although the characters found resolution, I don't feel like I found resolution as a reader. I want to know what happened "when its time for the first laundry" so to speak. The only real complaint I can put forth about this book is that the ending seemed rushed and the novel felt incomplete to me. I love Olivia's writing and I liked the book but the swift ending left me feeling a little disappointed.
Lisa
Sep 07, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this book around 11pm last night and forced myself to put it down after reading the first 20 chapters. I picked it up again this afternoon and just finished it. It is one of those you just don't want to put down. It is a cute, light-hearted story about love and loss and moves very quickly.
Ashley FL
Sep 23, 2012 Ashley FL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that if this hadn't been written by Olivia Goldsmith, it would have been 3 stars. But I am huuuuggggeeeeee fan of OG from back in the day. Her writing in the second half of her career was incredibly uneven, but I was so happy to find this new-to-me book and even happier when it turned out to be good, campy fun.
Caroline G'wattage
Jul 29, 2010 Caroline G'wattage rated it really liked it
Funny and heartwarming.

The characters in this book are hilarious and to fall in love with.

If you are a girl more of a single women, you will sympathize with the characters.

Bina had to be one of my favourite characters as wellas Brice and Elliot.

This book actually gave me many smiles through this very cold winter.

Loved this book.
  • More Than Friends
  • If I Never Knew You (If I Never Knew You, #1)
  • First Aid Manual: The Authorised Manual of St John Ambulance, St. Andrews Ambulance Association and the British Red Cross
  • Virtual Strangers
  • Package Deal
  • Mad Science Institute
  • Vestal Virgin
  • Touched by the Light
  • School Ties
  • Witchy Business (Witch Detectives #1)
  • The Finest Line
  • Hoodie
  • Family Trust
  • Flings and Arrows
  • 666 Charing Cross Road
  • A Class Apart (Class Heroes, #1)
  • Get Bunny Love
  • The Long Road Home
Olivia Goldsmith (January 1, 1949 - January 15, 2004) was an American author, best known for her first novel The First Wives Club (1992), which was adapted into the movie The First Wives Club (1996).

She was born Randy Goldfield in Dumont, New Jersey, but changed her name to Justine Goldfield and later to Justine Rendal. She took up writing following a divorce in which she said her husband got almo
More about Olivia Goldsmith...