Uptown Girl

Uptown Girl

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  913 ratings  ·  92 reviews
From the bestselling author of The First Wives' Club and Young Wives, a sparkling New York comedy about making plans for other people -- and then tripping yourself up in them. There's something magical about Brooklyn's Billy Nolan. It's not just that he's wickedly attractive, it's that any woman he dates and dumps (and he dates and dumps them all) immediately goes on to ma...more
Published November 3rd 2003 by Not Avail

To ask other readers questions about Uptown Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uptown Girl

Christine
I'm having a bad run, I think, probably because I'm trying to find good contemporary romance and I'm not seeing it. This book was so boring I couldn't keep going. I started skimming furiously after chapter 6, in which we still haven't met Billy and all that's happened so far is Kate's gone to work, bantered with her gay friend, gotten a manicure, and gone to dinner with her boring boyfriend and gay friends. I thought things might get ineresting when her friend comes crashing into her life, sobbi...more
Jenny
Life is too short to read terrible books. I read about 50 pages before I gave up. The main character was awful - her terrible boyfriend gives her a terrible bracelet and then they go to a terrible dinner. Also, what was the deal between keeping Brooklyn and Manhattan separate? Was that a gimmick of the authors'? I know the two are separate burroughs of New York but as someone who doesn't know the city, why must this play such an important part of the story?

And WHY does Kate want to be friends wi...more
Christine Blachford
Plot: Basically, a guy has a reputation as every girl that he dumps gets married a few months later. Kate’s friend wants to get married so they set her up, but as always, the course of true love doesn’t run smoothly and Kate ends up falling for him herself.

Characters: Kate is an interesting heroine, it’s hard to tell if she’s the good guy or the slightly not so good guy, but it all ends well. I love her gay best friend although her friends back home in Brooklyn are just a little too material for...more
Now, I realize this book is hot pink (so embarassing to read at the gym!), but it actually is written very well (shocking!)! No, seriously! It's by the same woman who wrote The First Wives Club, which I totally want to read, and rent (the movie) again...
Firstly, I didn't actually read the Kindle edition, it just matched the number of pages to the number in the book I was reading.
Secondly, I don't usually read romantic comedies (that's a lie), I've been experiencing a readers block (that's true) and this book hopefully broke this awful stage (I don't really think so).
Anyway, this book literally made me want to get two gay best-friends, five really eccentric girlfriends and three really hot men chasing me and proposing to me all the time.
Too b...more
Margaret
Fun summer read...kept moving along at a good pace. Laughs along the way and you do end up caring what happens at the end.
Jenny
It was good, but only in its own way. If that makes any sense at all.
Blodeuedd Finland

Kate left her Brooklyn roots and made it to Manhattan. She has a good job and great friends there. But then one of her old Brooklyn friends shows up heartbroken, Bina has fallen apart after her boyfriend left to explore his "singleness". What to do in a situation like this? Well there is always the enigmatic Billy Nolan, all Brooklyn and all gorgeous. Not to mention that when ever he dumps a girl that girls marries the next guy that comes along, and it doesn't take that long either. Could he be...more
Kara Jorges
Kate Jameson had a difficult childhood. Her mother died when she was young, leaving her in the care of an alcoholic father. Kate was taken in by the Horowitz family, including big-hearted, no-nonsense Mrs. Horowitz, a surrogate mother figure, and Bina, Kate’s best friend. The Horowitzes and Kate’s other friends, dubbed the Bitches of Bushwick, all live on the wrong side of the river for Kate, however, and embody everything about Brooklyn that she strove to leave behind. Kate made a new life for...more
Wendy
She's changed her style, but her roots are showing. Katie Jameson left Brooklyn for Manhattan the first chance she got. Her two worlds collide when her best friend Bina needs her help. Olivia Goldsmith's Dumping Billy lured me in with its wit and charm.
The story is based in Brooklyn and in Manhattan. The way Olivia Goldsmith describes the two different Burroughs makes me see the differences in my head. Like when Katie is talking about the little garden outside her apartment window and then she l...more
Alice
I'm a fan of Olivia Goldsmith's, which is why I put this book on my 2013 TBR Challenge pile. I don't know if this wasn't the best-written of her work, or if my tastes have changed, but I didn't enjoy this quite as much as her other books. I still enjoyed it, but I was also consciously aware of its flaws.

Despite the book's title and its jacket description, the Billy in question doesn't take up much of the story. Instead, the book is about Katherine (Kate) Jameson, who's escaped her bourgeoisie li...more
Kate
The Amazon.com review says nearly all of it:

Kate Jameson has outgrown her Brooklyn gang: Bina, Bunny, Barbie and Bev, aka the Bitches of Bushwick. While the Bs still go for French manicures and (gasp) matching furniture, Kate has embraced the urbane life. She has a Chelsea apartment and a neat job as school psychologist at Andrew Country Day "in the best neighborhood in Manhattan." But when Kate meets bad boy bar owner Billy Nolan in her natal borough, she instantly wants to get Brooklyn back in...more
Cyn
Did anyone else HATE the main female character in this book?? I just could not stand her and how judgmental and cruel she was when it came to reading her thoughts and how she viewed things. She was a hypocritical bitch! GAH! I wanted to just throw the book away and stop reading but I hate doing that when I've already invested my time in a book. I would not recommend this book to anyone. Hate hate hated it!
Mary
I was in the mood for something light after a couple of non fiction serious books. And I saw someone had given this four stars. I started and I like it at first and to be honest most of the book I liked in that it was light and entertaining and my mind became blank when reading.

The down side is the writing is mediocre at best and in the beginning it was so banal and cliched I wanted to scream. I actually might have done just that. Once I got adjusted to the writing I started to enjoy the story...more
Sajai
I stopped reading this only 3% through. How do you rip off lines from The Breakfast Club in the first few pages and not even acknowledge it?
Knitme23
A heartily mediocre book: characters were kind of interesting (very stereotypical, many of them, but not 100%), plot kind of original (not 100% sure where it was going to end up), writing kind of interesting (too much telling, too little showing, but certainly not the least original I've ever read). . . Basically, it was an okay book to pay 50 cents for and to rip through, part skimming, on a rainy, dreary afternoon/evening.

People magazine's comment ("What a great feeling to fall into the capab...more
Alison
Just what I needed after ploughing my way through a few 'serious' books - I needed something to zip through to get me into reading again and this was just the job. I read it in a weekend without really needing to think much. The ending was predictable - you knew for certain who Kate would end up with, ditto Bini. But the characterisations were fun - I particularly liked her gay friends and could see them working well in a film adaptation - in fact most of it I could 'see' being filmed well.

All i...more
Lisa B
Aug 22, 2008 Lisa B rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, its awful
Shelves: adult, fiction
Don't get me wrong-- fluffy chick lit can be great fun, but this bit has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. The book is poorly written, full of repetition and cheesy banter, with flat characters and absurd plot developments. Not only that, but the main character is such a stuck up snot that for the first few chapters, I actually thought she setting up to get taken down a notch. She's not. We're actually supposed to sympathize with her self-righteousness. When I was done with it, I tossed it in t...more
Tiffany
I literally had to force myself to finish this absolutely boring book. A great deal of nothing happens for a long time, I just kept waiting for this damn billy to show up or something exciting to happen and I shit you not more than halfway through the book and finally he shows up. Now he's not the most likable character, but I ended up liking him much more than the main character who, in all honesty, is a total bitch. It didn't end too bad, if you think that completely cheesy and predictable isn...more
Malina
Predictable...but a quick mindless fun read
Lj
Jun 12, 2008 Lj rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone looking for a book they did not need to think about.
I picked this up at the villa in PV since it was raining. The fact that someone willingly left it at a villa in PV ought to say that it was not that great. Fine, very light, but I felt it was poorly written. I found myself wondering if Olivia forgot that she already written that exact portion?
********spoiler************
This book ends with the two main characters hearing The Hokey Pokey at a wedding and "Dumping Billy" tells the "heroine" that "This is what it's all about. Lame. Sorry.
Linda
It took me until nearly halfway through the book to realize "Dumping" in the title was an adjective not a verb. Predictable despite occasional flashes of charm. It's the be careful what you wish for scenario in many forms. I found the main character's work as a psychologist at a prestigious day school in NYC to be more interesting and compelling than a lot of the book. Would have liked more of that. First book I've read by this author, not going to work to seek out any more.
Tiffany
I enjoyed this book immensely but I hate that it ended when it did. Although the characters found resolution, I don't feel like I found resolution as a reader. I want to know what happened "when its time for the first laundry" so to speak. The only real complaint I can put forth about this book is that the ending seemed rushed and the novel felt incomplete to me. I love Olivia's writing and I liked the book but the swift ending left me feeling a little disappointed.
Judith
Dumping Billy by Olivia Goldsmith is chick-lit par excellence. Kate Jameson has worked hard to leave Brooklyn behind, but cannot keep her tony Manhattan friends separate from her frumpy high school girlfriends, the self-proclaimed “Bitches of Bushwick,” especially once they have heard about “Dumping Billy,” a bartending, French-speaking, skirt chaser whose ex-girlfriends always wind up marrying the very next man they date.
Virginia
This is a relatively fun read...strikes me as a good candidate screen-play for a nice 'girl' movie. Not much depth to any of the characters--seem to all fit stereotypes. That said, it was still interesting enough all along. Although the characters were pretty shallow, not all of the plot turns were predictable. The ending is a bit too neat, but we can still have little-girl dreams even when we are big, right?
Patrīcija Dzērve
so, so.. īsti nezinu kāpēc izlasīju līdz galam
Caroline G'wattage
Funny and heartwarming.

The characters in this book are hilarious and to fall in love with.

If you are a girl more of a single women, you will sympathize with the characters.

Bina had to be one of my favourite characters as wellas Brice and Elliot.

This book actually gave me many smiles through this very cold winter.

Loved this book.
Amanda Maria
The book was an easy read; however, the main character, Kate, drove me crazy. Through almost the whole book she is constantly acting like she's better than everyone else and never listens to anyone. If you can get by that major flaw of hers its a fairly good read. There are several funny sections but overall it was an average book.
Ashley FL
I think that if this hadn't been written by Olivia Goldsmith, it would have been 3 stars. But I am huuuuggggeeeeee fan of OG from back in the day. Her writing in the second half of her career was incredibly uneven, but I was so happy to find this new-to-me book and even happier when it turned out to be good, campy fun.
  • If I Never Knew You (If I Never Knew You, #1)
  • Witchy Business (Witch Detectives #1)
  • More Than Friends
  • Mad Science Institute
  • Vestal Virgin
  • One Too Many Men
  • Confucius Cat Says...
  • A Second Chance at Forever
  • Brimstone (Earth, Air, Fire and Water , #1)
  • Get Bunny Love
  • Flings and Arrows
  • Haunted Spouse
  • Seven Days From Sunday
  • Family Trust
Olivia Goldsmith (January 1, 1949 - January 15, 2004) was an American author, best known for her first novel The First Wives Club (1992), which was adapted into the movie The First Wives Club (1996).

She was born Randy Goldfield in Dumont, New Jersey, but changed her name to Justine Goldfield and later to Justine Rendal. She took up writing following a divorce in which she said her husband got almo...more
More about Olivia Goldsmith...
The First Wives Club Bad Boy Flavor of the Month The Bestseller Pen Pals