Start by marking “The Beautiful Butterfly: A Folktale from Spain” as Want to Read:
The Beautiful Butterfly: A Folktale from Spain

The Beautiful Butterfly: A Folktale from Spain

A beautiful butterfly is courted by many suitors. She finally finds a husband who has a singing voice soft and sweet enough to please her, but no sooner does the honeymoon begin than he is swallowed by a giant fish! All of nature joins her in mourning, setting off a comical chain of events that results in a second chance for the beautiful butterfly and her devoted husband. ...more
Published March 20th 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published February 17th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Beautiful Butterfly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beautiful Butterfly

midnightfaerie
A book that was recommended as an additional reading on Spain for our Spain/Europe history lesson. It didn't disappoint. My 5 yr old loved it and had a hard time guessing what was going to happen, which he enjoys. The author writes a note in the back saying she changed the ending slightly because it wasn't quite as depressing. Usually I like the darker endings, but because I was reading it with my son, I'm glad it had a happier ending. We both really enjoyed it. Probably somewhere around a level ...more
Amy Adams
Mar 01, 2013 Amy Adams rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This is one of the worst children's books I've seen in a while. It's unfortunate because I like several of the author's other books, but this is one I would skip. I did not like the story or the pictures.

Based on a Spanish folktale, the story centers around a butterfly who is supposed to be very beautiful, but who I find a little creepy. She decides to marry a mouse because he can sing to her children, then, when it appears that he is dead, she becomes very upset--not because she misses him, bu
Marjorie
Aug 26, 2013 Marjorie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the idea of exposing children to the stories of other cultures. This story is an adaptation of a Spanish folktale. It seems that in Spain they have many stories where a girl bug and a boy of another species fall in love. While these stories usually have a tragic end, I was very happy to see that the author wanted to make the reader smile with a happy ending! This makes reading this book to a sensitive child much more enjoyable. After all, there's plenty of time for them to grow up, so I'm ...more
Jackie
A beautiful Spanish butterfly, with wings speckled liked brightly colored flowers, decides to marry a little gray mouse. When the mouse falls in the pond while fetching water for his bride, a fish gobbles him up. Only a king in his underwear can make the butterfly laugh and giggle again, and while doing do so, makes the fish release the little gray mouse. A happy reunion is in the works and my favorite part is the little 'buttermice' babies that the butterfly and mouse produce.

Used for "UGH!...
The Brothers
A cute little tale about a beautiful butterfly who is very picky about which animal she will marry, basing her decision on how beautifully they can sing to their children. She marries the mouse, but he gets eaten by a fish which then throws the whole world into despair along with the butterfly. Their despair is relieved when the mouse is returned, whole and well, to his new wife.

Cute, colorful illustrations.
Adriana Guillen
Jan 15, 2012 Adriana Guillen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was different, I felt that it was unique how they interpreted the butterfly looking for the perfect voice for her future kids lullaby and she would not marry anyone else but the perfect voice. I thought it was rare to interpret how the butterfly chooses her husband, how your surroundings sympathizes with one and help heal. I thought it was considerate for the author to change the original ending to this folktale because of the children readers.
Abigail
When a lonely beautiful butterfly finally finds a husband, he gets swallowed up by a fish while filling a pail of water. Through the butterfly's mourning, nature begins to work together and gets the fish to spit out the butterfly's husband. This book was a great way to give a sense of hope in desperate moments. It can be suitable for young children (preschoolers and up).
Kris Odahowski
Jan 26, 2013 Kris Odahowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A library staff member just read this book me. She thought it was so cute how the Butterfly tried to find someone who would sing softly to her babies. She liked how the animals helped the Butterfly when she was sad. This smartly illustrated folktale is available at the Gadsden Public Library.
Danielle
Apr 06, 2011 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite what I was expecting, but a cute and weird little story, which, it turns out, is a popular folktale in Europe and Latin America, with many variations. It was fun to read and we all enjoyed the king in his underwear and the buttermice babies. The illustrations are adorable.
Peacegal
Jun 29, 2011 Peacegal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very strange, and not in a good way.

I also wasn't terribly pleased with the idea that marriage is just about producing children, which was Miss Butterfly's criteria for choosing a husband.
Molly
Apr 14, 2016 Molly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I found this pretty weird, to be honest. And I like weird. This was a different weird. Not sure about this one- although I am told that allegedly kids like it read to them.
L campagnola
L campagnola rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2009
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
Nov 11, 2011
Margie
Margie rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2008
Lina
Lina rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Jenifer Morrison
Jenifer Morrison rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Kary
Kary rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Lana Gerstenberger
Lana Gerstenberger rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2014
Savannah Rhodes
Savannah Rhodes rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2013
Sherry
Enchanting tale for young kids.
Shannon Lionheart Martin
Shannon Lionheart Martin rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2016
Kat
Kat rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Sara Fulkerson
Sara Fulkerson rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2011
Nicki
Nicki rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Laras Nadila
Laras Nadila rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Katrina
Katrina rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Katy
Katy rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2008
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2014
I took the long-cut to being an author. Out of college I did temporary work in offices and libraries, while at night, I wrote poetry and made strange life forms from cloth. When I teamed up with a puppeteer, Bob Kaminski (my husband), I was able to bring my cloth creations to life. We began performing on the streets of San Francisco, at Renaissance fairs, and at schools. After attending a workshop ...more
More about Judy Sierra...