Start by marking “The Sermon on the Mount: The Character of a Disciple” as Want to Read:

The Sermon on the Mount: The Character of a Disciple
Published December 1st 2006 by P & R Publishing (first published November 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Sermon on the Mount, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sermon on the Mount

Paul
John Frame says that "Doriani brings both academic and pastoral concerns and skills to the volume." I'd say the scales are tipped to the side of the latter.

The character of a disciple is what Doriani focuses on. He points out that Jesus is mainly/primarily speaking to disciples of his. This insight should color the way we read Jesus in Matthew 5-7. Dorinai also stresses the character-forming nature of Jesus' commands and requirements for us. He points out that this developed character has conse
Doug
Jun 20, 2012 Doug rated it really liked it
Doriani's commentary on the Sermon on the Mount is very pastoral, spending more time illustrating the truths of Scripture in an understandable and relevant way rather than rehashing what has already been said by many commentators (Lloyd Jones, Calvin, Stott, Carson, etc.). Some who have rating this book have marked it down as a result of his methodology, categorizing it as "shallow" or "uninformative." For me, however, it is precisely because of his approach that I love reading Doriani.

He is bo
Matthew
Apr 20, 2009 Matthew rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian-living
This book was alright, but it only seemed to scratch the surface of every topic addressed. The words of Christ in His sermon are so great, but this book only left me wanting to understand and know more. So basically, it didn't really teach me anything about the Sermon on the Mount, but just made me more aware of it's contents. I would say this book is like a long introduction into what the Christ's Sermon is really about.
John
Jun 26, 2009 John rated it really liked it
I've got to be honest, with Stott, Lloyd-Jones, Ferguson, and Carson at my fingertips I didn't expect Doriani to add much, but he really does. He's an excellent writer who brings a freshness to the text and has a great framework for engaging Christ's words. I have minor quibbles with some of his textual divisions, but overall it's excellent stuff. His diagram on the Beatitudes is outstanding.... very enlightening.
Tom
Jan 18, 2009 Tom rated it it was ok
A lot of what Doriani has to say is a bit redundant. Instead of reaching insights or revelations that the average layman biblical scholar may not find on their own he spends most the book reiterating blatant themes in increasingly tiresome metaphors and illustrations. It's a decent read but didn't open very many doors for discussion in our small study group.
Melissa
Sep 24, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-challenge, own
Love the Sermon on the Mount and I learned a lot about the meaning and background of the text. Easy to read and understand - a plus in study helps. Got this at Half Price; well worth it. Great book to read a bit of in the morning before heading off to work!
Jeff Bobin
Jan 12, 2013 Jeff Bobin rated it it was amazing
While easy to read and understand this will give you new insight to the teaching of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount. Well worth the time to read and will give you many thing to think about and reflect on.
Wade
Sep 17, 2009 Wade rated it really liked it
Shelves: commentary
This is a very solid, passage-by-passage, book on the Sermon on the Mount. It’s written pastorally, it almost feels like a collection of sermons put into book format.
Jon Marq
Apr 08, 2014 Jon Marq rated it it was ok
Barely scratches the surface of the Sermon on the Mount. Good for light devotional reading.
Bauer Evans
Aug 27, 2013 Bauer Evans rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biblical-studies
Exceptional ...
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
E. Thomas Anderson
E. Thomas Anderson marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Dave Vosseller
Dave Vosseller rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Jeanie
Jeanie marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
JB
JB is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2016
Angus
Angus marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Krhand
Krhand rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Chris
Chris added it
Apr 06, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Jay Kinderknecht
Jay Kinderknecht rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Michael Adams
Michael Adams marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Brian Bojo
Brian Bojo marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Jay Cashion
Jay Cashion marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Jeff
Jeff is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
After a decade as senior pastor of Central Presbyterian church in Clayton, Missouri, Dr. Doriani returned to Covenant Seminary full time in October 2013 to serve as vice president of strategic academic projects and professor of theology.

In this role, he teaches two core courses for the Master of Divinity (MDiv) program—Christian Ethics and Reformation and Modern Church History—as well as some elec
More about Daniel M. Doriani...