Start by marking “Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta” as Want to Read:
Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta

Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The Sermon on the Mount represents the essence of both Christ's teachings and the teachings of Vedanta. Christ said, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." "The kingdom of God is within." "Be ye perfect...." Theologians are apt to explain away these teachings, but we believe Christ meant exactly what he said. Read in this book how Vedanta goes to the hear ...more
Published July 4th 1964 by Vedanta Press & Bookshop (first published October 28th 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta

Patrick

Amazon:
A book on the Sermon on the Mount should be no novelty in a Christian community. But when that books is written by a Hindu swami, a follower of Vedanta and The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna, that certainly is unusual. More so since the swami extols the Sermon as though it were a scripture of his own.
Beautiful as the this interpretation is in itself, it is presented by Swami Prabhavananda not as a far-off, scarcely attainable ideal, which is the way most Occidentals read the Sermon, but as a p
ron btdtbttsawio
This is a very interesting and easy to read book. The author goes through the sermon line by line and compares it to the teachings of vedanta. The two teachings match up quite well.
The author does come up a bit short: In the sections where Jesus mentions hell (3 times in the sermon), Prabhavananda makes no comment. So I have no idea if that fits with vedanta or not.
Also included, are many interesting anecdotes from Prabhavananda's spiritual life and lesson's from his guru.
This was my second read
Dylan Grant
Swami Prabhavananda is a member of the monastic order that Sri Ramakrishna founded, and this book reflects Ramakrishna's teachings. Prabhavananda has a scholarly and philosophical mind, though, so it isn't at all like reading The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna all over again.

Prabhavananda's very short book has one mission: To prove that the essence of Christianity and the essence of Hinduism are in complete harmony with each other as a result of springing from the same Divine source.

He decides to d
Michelle
wow. Overall, I loved the message that indicated no religion is wrong. Although they seem different at first glance, they teach the same messages. A religion is "true" as long as it guides its followers toward "...illumination, selfless love, and compassion for all."
William
It is refreshing to visit the life of Jesus as seen through eyes from another religion.
“What do they know of England who only England know?"
Walker S.
Excellent fresh look, just perfect for the new class I'm preparing to teach. I love to take a new look through someone a different set of eyes.
Anna Wilson
This beautiful little book explains the Sermon on the Mount (from the Christian Bible) from a Vedantic (mystical Hinduism) perspective.
Nellie
Jul 04, 2008 Nellie added it
this book opened me up to new ideas about religion and i loved the perspectice that rama krishna gives about jesus's philosophies
Jason
When I first encountered this book on the Waldenbooks new age shelf, I thought that Vedanta was a person, as in "the Gospel according to Matthew," etc. (This was in 1989 or 1990, when I was high school senior in Decatur, IL; I discovered this book at the same time as the Bhagavad Gita, which at the time was mainly noteworthy because it rhymed with "pita," itself another "foreign" item intruding on my culturally impoverished youth. Sad but true.)

In the subsequent two-plus decades, I spent a lot
Shelly Caldeira
I just came across this book again while doing some DE-cluttering. I remember LOVING it and having aha moments daily...I had yellow pen highlighted throughout the entire little book. I might read it again this year.
Terrence
Maryjo
Maryjo marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Govind Balachandran
Govind Balachandran is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2015
Celeste Wikkerink
Celeste Wikkerink marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Jönathan
Jönathan marked it as to-read
John Morgan
John Morgan marked it as to-read
Derek Chow
Derek Chow marked it as to-read
Chas
Chas marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Jillian Lea
Jillian Lea marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Andrea Thorpe
Andrea Thorpe marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
SE
SE added it
May 03, 2015
Amanda Burger
Amanda Burger marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Swami Prabhavananda was an Indian philosopher, monk of the Ramakrishna Order, and religious teacher.

Born in India, he joined the Ramakrishna Order after graduating from Calcutta university in 1914. He was initiated by Swami Brahmananda.
In 1923, he was sent to the United States of America. Initially he worked as an assistant minister of the Vedanta Society of San Francisco. After two years, he esta
More about Swami Prabhavananda...
How to Know God: The Yoga Aphorisms of Patanjali Bhagavad-Gita: The Song of God Shankara's Crest Jewel of Discrimination The Upanishads The Bhagavad Gita