Start by marking “Keats's Poetry and Prose” as Want to Read:
Keats's Poetry and Prose

Keats's Poetry and Prose

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  152 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
For this reason, this volume presents the writings in the order of publication rather than composition. Readers can trace the poems through letters, reviews, and related material chronologically interleaved with the texts themselves. This edition offers extensive apparatus to help readers fully appreciate Keats s poetry and legacy, including an introduction, headnotes, exp ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published March 19th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Keats's Poetry and Prose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keats's Poetry and Prose

Adam
Jun 20, 2015 Adam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1800-s, poetry
Reading Keats gets me high like reading Oppen, Milton, Kroetsch, and Donne has gotten me high. Maybe some Frank O'Hara gets me that high, too. I'm obviously not suggesting that these poets' poetry has much in common, except that they all get me high. I'm just saying the poetry gets me higher than any substance I know of. Keats is hands down the finest of the Romantic poets, in my estimation. Wordsworth can go fuck a daffodil, Shelley eat a vegetable.

There's other poetry I like. But it barely wa
Keith
Dec 20, 2014 Keith rated it liked it
Shelves: partial-read
Lamia, Isabella, The Eve of St. Agnes, and Other Poems (1820): This is Keats’ last book. It contains what many people consider his finest work including his odes (Autumn, Grecian Urn, Nightingale).

Keats is not a figurative poet, like Shakespeare, but he is certainly a mellifluous poet, an articulate poet. Like Tennyson, he voice is pure music. His poetry has an easy quality but it belies with unexpected rimes and rhythms.

Has anyone come up with a more beautiful way to say, “Meanwhile”?

“Just at
Zari
Sep 11, 2015 Zari added it
Shelves: poem, letter
Where's the Poet? show him! show him,
Muses nine! that I may know him.
'Tis the man who with a man
Is an equal, be he King,
Or poorest of the beggar-clan
Or any other wonderous thing
A man may be 'twixt ape and Plato;
'Tis the man who with a bird,
Wren or Eagle, finds his way to
All its instincts; he hath heard
The Lion's roaring, and can tell
What his horny throat expresseth,
And to him the Tiger's yell
Come articulate and presseth
Or his ear like mother-tongue.
Phoebe
Feb 10, 2014 Phoebe rated it it was amazing
Initially purchased to aid a university module I find myself going back to this time and time again. Contains a substantial amount of Keats's work and expresses development from his earlier poetry to his more mature canonical Odes. Overall, a very interesting and useful collection.
Mark Bennett
Aug 07, 2011 Mark Bennett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Mind-blowing and transformative. No words can capture it. A unique organization of poems and letters (extensive array of the letters to friends, family and Fanny Brawne).

If only to read one poem, "Ode To A Nightingale" all worth it. Go to my website to read and hear a splendid reading from actor Ben Whishaw.

One of those books, one of those authors that touch and transform you in a way no other can.
Minette
Sep 27, 2008 Minette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This is an on-going project to remember my long lost French. It is still so intriguing to me and challenging to try and remember the beautiful language it is and to have to look up words. But that is how you learn, right? Love it!
David reider
Apr 05, 2008 David reider rated it it was amazing
as soon as amazon finds my copy of this book i am going to immerse (had to use a literary word, sorry) myself back into the world of Romantic poetry. Keats has written some of the bestest most amazingest poems, like, ever.
Erika S
Apr 07, 2009 Erika S rated it it was amazing
Keats is an amazing poet, and this is an amazing collection of his work, complete with some amazing critical essays. Added bonus: it was compiled and edited by a professor at CU.
A. Anupama
Jan 11, 2013 A. Anupama rated it it was amazing
Love "Sleep and Poetry," and great to read the odes all together. The letters are wonderful.
Shyne Tunglskin
Non présence des textes originaux => perte de la musicalité poétique.
Sarah rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2016
Gay
Gay rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Kevin Simoneau
Kevin Simoneau marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
LiZi Bruklinsk
LiZi Bruklinsk marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Damian Dimock
Damian Dimock marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
D
D marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Nocturnalux
Nocturnalux is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2016
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Sumbal
Sumbal marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Saba
Saba marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Rick
Rick rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Jeff Dunaway
Jeff Dunaway rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Gabrielle Rupert
Gabrielle Rupert marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Kiera D.
Kiera D. marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Jane Doe
Jane Doe rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
  • Coleridge's Poetry and Prose (Critical Edition)
  • Poetry and Designs: Authoritative Texts, Illuminations in Color and Monochrome, Related Prose, Criticism
  • Poetry and Prose
  • Leaves of Grass and Other Writings (Norton Critical Editions)
  • The Prelude
  • John Donne: The Reformed Soul
  • Poetry, Drama and Prose
  • Keats
11978
John Keats was one of the principal poets of the English Romantic movement. During his short life, his work received constant critical attacks from the periodicals of the day, but his posthumous influence on poets such as Alfred Tennyson has been immense. Elaborate word choice and sensual imagery characterize Keats's poetry, including a series of odes that were his masterpieces and which remain am ...more
More about John Keats...