Start by marking “Never Coming To A Theater Near You” as Want to Read:
Never Coming To A Theater Near You

Never Coming To A Theater Near You

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  120 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
It is in the nature of today's movie business that while Hollywood blockbusters invade every megaplex, smaller, quality films often don't get screen time. Fans of finer films have to count on catching up with them on video and DVD, but even the most hard-core devotees have trouble remembering what sounded good when a film was originally released. Never Coming to a Theater ...more
Published September 28th 2004 by PublicAffairs

To ask other readers questions about Never Coming To A Theater Near You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Coming To A Theater Near You

Pewterbreath
This book wasn't what I wanted it to be. While Turan certainly is a very astute reviewer, I find it difficult to really see what the focus of this book actually is.

What I wanted it to be was a sort of close look at movies that don't get talked about very much. Cult films, blockbusters, critical favorites, and to a lesser degree genre films, generally get a lot of film criticism, but there's a certain kind of middle-of-the-road film that gets glossed over. The thing is, these MOR movies are reall
Carmen
Jan 07, 2009 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movies
Turan brings attention to some great over-looked or obscure movies such as Together, Safe, Thirty-Two Short Films About Glenn Gould, Hilary and Jackie, Jesus' Son, Lovely & Amazing, To Die For, Time Out and many, many more. Definitely check this out if you need to diversify your queue!
Tracy
I now baptize this book as my "what to read when I need an emergency reading material selection at work." Amen.
Ron
Apr 09, 2012 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
What a wonderful idea for a book! Kenneth Turan has brought together 150 reviews representing the top 5% of the films he sees as film critic for the Los Angeles Times. The result is a collection of movie reviews for (a) little-known and under-sung films that are (b) for grownup audiences instead of teenagers and (c) available on VHS and DVD.

Altogether there are reviews of movies from 39 countries, most of them released over the last dozen or so years, half of them English-language films. The oth
KennyO
Dec 02, 2014 KennyO rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I was going to find a lot of movies off the beaten track that are worth seeing. I was almost flattered to learn that my tastes in movies are nearly in lockstep with the kinds of movies Turan covers here. If it's important to you to see what everyone else is seeing while it's first run in theaters, then pass on this book. If you're looking for something with real character, you'll find it here.
Jane
Jul 15, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movie
Great movie list! I checked the reviews he wrote on the independent films I loved, such as next stop wonderland, station agent, state and main, all were very insightful. I am going to check out the movies in the book for sure. After Ebert is gone (sadly and irreplaceable), I am glad I found another film critic whose reviews are intelligent and witty.
Paul Baker
Jun 11, 2016 Paul Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An excellent book of movie reviews focusing on brilliant, little-known movies that never really found the audience they deserved. There are two major sections on American and Foreign Films, plus another excellent section of brilliant classics that have been all but forgotten.

Terrific book for anyone who loves film.
George
Dec 26, 2007 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any independent film lover
Kenneth Turan is one of my favorite critics whom I listen to on NPR. This book highlights movies that rarely come to my multiplex in my small town. Comedies likie FLIRTING WITH DISASTER and classics like Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast are given loving attention. Turan has a real love for movies that are unique in approach and in style. This collection is first rate.
Annabelle
"Great" - The LA Times
"Trustworthy" - Hollywood Reporter
"Indispensable" - Portland Tribune
"Insightful" - Variety
"Delightful" - David Ansen

I'm with Variety. And mainly because of the quite informative Classics chapter.
Gayle
Feb 02, 2011 Gayle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reviews. Now to find the time to see the movies. So many and of the few I've seen his reviews are spot on.
Sava Hecht
Jan 02, 2008 Sava Hecht rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of my favorite overlooked movies are reviewed in this book. A fantastic guide for movie lovers.
Sam Tocchini
Jul 26, 2008 Sam Tocchini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
interesting movies
not really B style... just good- not hollywood blockbuster style... but good.
ya
Sadsaint
Aug 08, 2011 Sadsaint rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i like books of lists...especially if they are about GOOD lists.
Claire
Apr 25, 2009 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This gave me lots of new films to add to my Netflix queue.
Melissa
Oct 24, 2008 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This guy's not a very insightful critic.
MaryAnn
MaryAnn marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Kim Brooks
Kim Brooks marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Mark Mikula
Mark Mikula marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Linda Endres
Linda Endres marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
SavannaB
SavannaB marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Travis Stephenson
Travis Stephenson marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Word
Word marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
David
David rated it it was ok
May 25, 2016
Curtis
Curtis marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Rock
Rock marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Marie
Marie added it
Apr 12, 2016
  • Dark City Dames: The Wicked Women of Film Noir
  • Profoundly Disturbing: The Shocking Movies that Changed History
  • Showgirls, Teen Wolves, and Astro Zombies: A Film Critic's Year-Long Quest to Find the Worst Movie Ever Made
  • The Psychotronic Encyclopedia of Film
  • All I Need to Know about Filmmaking I Learned from The Toxic Avenger
  • American Movie Critics: An Anthology From the Silents Until Now
  • Film As Film: Understanding And Judging Movies
  • The Satanic Screen
  • The Haunted Screen: Expressionism in the German Cinema and the Influence of Max Reinhardt
  • Midnight Movies
  • Hollywood Animal: A Memoir
  • Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide
  • The Kill Bill Diary
  • Pre-Code Hollywood: Sex, Immorality, and Insurrection in American Cinema; 1930-1934
  • Film Noir: An Encyclopedic Reference to the American Style