Start by marking “Season Finale: The Unexpected Rise and Fall of the WB and UPN” as Want to Read:
Season Finale: The Unexpected Rise and Fall of the WB and UPN

Season Finale: The Unexpected Rise and Fall of the WB and UPN

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In the mid-1990s, two major Hollywood studios, Warner Bros. and Paramount Pictures, each launched their own broadcast television network with the hope of becoming the fifth major player in an industry long dominated by ABC, CBS, NBC, and, more recently, Fox. Despite the odds against them, the WB and UPN went on to alter the landscape of primetime television, only to then m ...more
Published October 16th 2007 by Harper (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Season Finale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Season Finale

Meg
I actually had no clue this book was even coming out until I noticed it in my own bookstore's front window. I'm a big Whedon fan, but I've watched a fair number of shows on UPN and the WB, as well as the CW. I'm currently in the middle of a huge Gilmore Girls marathon, so not only is it interesting to get a behind the scenes feel for the two networks, it is rather fun to relive the late '90s.

Random note: the author of this book is married to the executive producer of The Office (the US version)
Andy
Feb 27, 2008 Andy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in the television industry
The author's intimate relationship with The WB (she was head of programming for quite a while) ruins any sense of objectivity the book tries to give. Her obvious favoritism towards the WB over UPN often makes the book have a largely unbalanced feel to it. She'll spend many pages nostalgically talking about the joys of helping to create Dawson's Creek, but then only give a few paragraphs to an entire year at UPN.

Still, the story itself is interesting, telling a lot about how the television indus
Saturday22
I bought this book the day it was released off of Amazon, but its always a book I put on the back burner and read other more faster reads. More than halfway through before I move onto to my next book I plan on finishing this one. Its very interesting, and I learn alot about what to do and what not to do when starting a network.

If you're a WB baby like me you'll definitely like this book but might find it a tad boring. The behind the scenes stuff can only truly be understood and appreciated by so
Zach
If you don't like TV or media in general, this probably isn't for you, but it's a pretty fascinating look at birth of the two netlets. I really wish there was a good comparative book on some of the cable networks, HBO and FX especially. If anybody knows of one, please let me know.
Kristin
Oct 31, 2007 Kristin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in Media, or television
Having grown-up as a teenie bopper watching "Dawson's Creek" 7th Heaven and Gilmore Girls I found this book interesting. As the title suggests, the book tells about the formation of WB and UPN, their rocky rise and tumble and merge into CW.
Crystal
If you're a total TV geek like me, you'll be interested to read the behind-the-scenes drama surrounding TV execs in the era of The WB and UPN.
Ellen
Nov 19, 2007 Ellen added it
On the other hand, maybe this book simply existing is awesome enough.
Jess
And done!

I liked this, though I think I liked Top of the Rock more. I loved the WB, and this is a really interesting POV on its creation and the war between it and UPN, but there was a lot more business side of things than I wanted as a non-industry person. I get the importance of affiliates and the like, but that doesn't mean I want to read about them if given the choice between that and reading about a James van der Beek/Katie Holmes/Joshua Jackson, and Kevin Williamson giving Katie Mighty Du
Bridget
I couldn't resist hearing about the behind the scenes of the beginnings of the network that brought me Buffy, Dawson's Felicity, and Gilmore Girls - shows that changed the way I watched TV and used the internet (posting on message boards, making friends with others who liked the same shows as I did). Its nice to know that Susanne Daniels and others who created the WB had as much passion for creating those shows as I had while watching them. Although I dont think there was any mention of Roswell, ...more
Zack
I wanted to like this more than I did -- I love hearing about the combination of creativity and business that go into creating films and TV. This look at the WB and UPN has some entertaining moments, but the result is a bit disjointed. Ironically, I liked the parts about UPN, which don't have the advantage of a first-person account from an executive, more than the WB sections.
Amanda Lynn
I'm cursing the friend who mentioned this on Twitter because I can't put it down! I love behind-the-scenes Hollywood stuff, and my favorite TV shows are all refugees from the former WB. Also, I think this is a must-read for young career women in terms of the strength of the female role models presented (flaws and all).
Sean
Really enjoyed this book because it showed the behind-the-scenes dealings of my favorite network when I was in high school and college. I know some people belied the book because it didn't talk enough about the shows people wanted to read about, but I was very engaged in everything going on behind the scenes.
Leila Cohan-Miccio
A perfectly good book, but personally, I rather wish it had been less about affiliate relations and business-y numbers and more about behind the scenes gossip from Dawson's Creek.

I am not a very serious person.
Josh
On re-read, this book is a must for TV nerds of the WB generation. Lots of great insight into why the networks went under, their great successes, and shows you never saw.
Heather
This book was a little more technical than I had hoped. While the topic interested be, every step it took for the creator was a little mundane.
Abby
I was a big WB junkie growing up, so it was interesting to see the behind-the-scenes politicking, but ultimately, the book was relatively boring.
Paul
Only worth reading if you are interested in the WB side of the fence. The UPN part of the story is pretty perfunctorily told.
Chris
Jun 07, 2008 Chris rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
It only gets two because the author was in love with buffy. It would lose one star otherwise.
Leon Moore
Great insights on the network television world.
Aaron
Nophoto-m-25x33 There are some fascinating tales to be told about the cut-throat politics and meteoric rises of these young networks and the young executives who ran them. But not in this book.
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Patnel
Patnel marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Tomi Oladiran
Tomi Oladiran marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Jeremy Grossman
Jeremy Grossman marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Ethan Bratton
Ethan Bratton marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Aug 29, 2014
Mathilde
Mathilde marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014