Start by marking “Medea: Essays on Medea in Myth, Literature, Philosophy, and Art” as Want to Read:
Medea: Essays on Medea in Myth, Literature, Philosophy, and Art

Medea: Essays on Medea in Myth, Literature, Philosophy, and Art

From the dawn of European literature, the figure of Medea--best known as the helpmate of Jason and murderer of her own children--has inspired artists in all fields throughout all centuries. Euripides, Seneca, Corneille, Delacroix, Anouilh, Pasolini, Maria Callas, Martha Graham, Samuel Barber, and Diana Rigg are among the many who have given Medea life on stage, film, and c ...more
Published January 12th 1997 by Princeton University Press (first published December 23rd 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Medea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Medea

Isabel
Jul 08, 2011 Isabel rated it really liked it
Something about the character of Medea taps into a woman's primal instincts and memories of romantic heartbreak. Her every impulse is essentially, in some way, understandable yet the degree to which she takes vengeance suddenly defies the imagination. The delineation of this character is remarkable. My favorite part of the book was hearing how the chorus, as a side commentator of sorts, lets the reader in on the different layers of events, thoughts and feelings in the story.
Brenna
This one will be on my currently reading shelf for awhile, so no sarcastic messages please. It is full of rather academic but very interesting essays so I only read it when I'm in the mood.

Update: SO I haven't read them all yet, but there is some great work in here. At times a little too heavy on academic lingo or overly feminist theory but if you're a fan of Medea (and what self-respecting woman isn't) try out some of the essays.
Jeremiah Genest
Apr 01, 2008 Jeremiah Genest rated it liked it
Shelves: mythology
Good collection on the treatment of this pivotal figure from mythology. The collection of 12 essays does a good job covering Medea's mythic history from antiquity to the twentieth century and her reception in literary and art history; and explores how Medea's complexity continues to challenge our imaginations, confront our deepest feelings, and make us realize "that behind the delicate order we have sought to impose upon our world lurks chaos."
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Tita Moraiti
Tita Moraiti marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Patricia Library
Patricia Library marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Silverlily
Silverlily marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Roxana
Roxana marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Charlotte Fraser
Charlotte Fraser marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Mr Wolf Glesga
Mr Wolf Glesga marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Jess Grayson
Jess Grayson marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Carl Lew
Carl Lew marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Farouk Adil
Farouk Adil marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Lucy Portsmouth
Lucy Portsmouth rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Ashley Melucci
Ashley Melucci rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2014
Melissa McNair
Melissa McNair is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2014
Kaitie
Kaitie marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Michael Gray
Michael Gray marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Safaa
Safaa marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Wælcyrge
Wælcyrge marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2013
pinar
pinar marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2013
Christina Kapadocha
Christina Kapadocha marked it as to-read
May 02, 2013