Start by marking “The Long Shadow of Little Rock: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
The Long Shadow of Little Rock: A Memoir

The Long Shadow of Little Rock: A Memoir

At an event honoring Daisy Bates as 1990's Distinguished Citizen then-governor Bill Clinton called her "the most distinguished Arkansas citizen of all time." Her classic account of the 1957 Little Rock School Crisis, The Long Shadow of Little Rock, couldn't be found on most bookstore shelves in 1962 and was banned throughout the South. In 1988, after the University of Arka ...more
Published June 1987 by University of Arkansas Press

To ask other readers questions about The Long Shadow of Little Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Shadow of Little Rock

Sam
Jan 29, 2012 Sam rated it it was amazing
This was an eye-opening book for me. I hope to read more about this subject. I am proud though that my Dad was one of the paratroopers of the 101st Airborne Division who were sent to Little Rock to protect Little Rock Nine.
Katie
Really admire Daisy Bates for her courageous life and her contribution to civil rights progress in the early part of the movement. Her story as recounted in this book is compelling if a bit precious in parts. An incredible story nonetheless.
Ms. A.
Aug 28, 2010 Ms. A. rated it it was amazing
"How long? How long?" Daisy Bates questions. How long will racial inequality last in the United States? Mrs. Bates has since passed, but in 2012 evidence that this country still has miles to go remains.
This story of the Little Rock Nine compliments other memoirs, notably that of Melba Patillo Beals, and is told from the perspective of an adult woman experiencing the persecution of the forced integration of Central High School.
I really enjoyed the explanation of each student as well as the unabas
Cheri
I was reading this as background research for a graduate school paper, and kept getting sucked in by the story. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone studying the Brown v. Board decision, the Little Rock crisis, or just the Civil Rights movement or the NAACP in the 1950s. She tells the story with an excellent narrative voice and I was constantly left short of breath, thick tears in my throat. I think it made it all the stronger for me that I read it right after I read Virgil Blossom's ...more
Nandi Crawford
I read this years ago and really enjoyed it. Because of an upcoming event at my local library, I got a digital copy of her book and now it's in my hands. What kind of crushed me is her way of watching that man who had a hand in killing her mother. That was compelling. I liked to feel that God put them on the path of each other for a reason. So this man can see what he's caused, and she can face her mother's killer. But finding out about that did something inside her that just turned ugly for her ...more
marty
Oct 02, 2007 marty rated it it was ok
really dissapointed to give this only 2 stars. i love daisy bates and her story, but this book is just not written very well. i would still say it is one of my favorite books, but purely b/c of my admiration for her.
Michele
Apr 01, 2007 Michele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Everyone should read this memoir and then think hard about racism in today's world.
Jeanne
Jun 07, 2008 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Another fascinating look at what happened during the 1957 Little Rock high school integration.
Chy
Chy rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2013
Rhea
Rhea rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Ron Sitton
Ron Sitton rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Mounia
Mounia rated it liked it
May 23, 2010
Sharondyck
Sharondyck rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2010
Michael Staples
Michael Staples rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2013
Austin
Austin rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2017
Dakota Steinfeldt
Dakota Steinfeldt rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Tracy Chiles McGhee
Tracy Chiles McGhee rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Kristin Haworth
Kristin Haworth rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2009
Maribeth
Apr 01, 2017 Maribeth rated it really liked it
An easy to read format about a subject that wasn't all that pleasant to read about. It's hard to believe the events described herein actually occurred in America just over half a century ago. For that reason, and others too, I would definitely recommend this book.
Jennifer McGue
Jennifer McGue rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Alan Wilbourn
Alan Wilbourn rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2012
Rebeck
Rebeck rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2007
WSB
WSB rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Jrfreas
Jrfreas rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2017
Ginny
Ginny rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2012
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2009
Zoey Blake
Zoey Blake rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • 33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A
  • Double Victory: How African American Women Broke Race and Gender Barriers to Help Win World War II
  • Dreams of Africa in Alabama: The Slave Ship Clotilda and the Story of the Last Africans Brought to America
  • Martin Luther King and The Montgomery Story
  • Who Owns the Ice House?: Eight Life-Lessons From an Unlikely Entrepreneur
  • Simeon's Story: An Eyewitness Account of the Kidnapping of Emmett Till
  • Eye on the Struggle: Ethel Payne, the First Lady of the Black Press
  • The Rejected Stone: Al Sharpton and the Path to American Leadership
  • The Godfather Of Soul: An Autobiography
  • Guest of Honor: Booker T. Washington, Theodore Roosevelt, and the White House Dinner That Shocked a Nation
  • American Tapestry: The Story of the Black, White, and Multiracial Ancestors of Michelle Obama
  • The Emancipation of Robert Sadler: The Powerful True Story of a Twentieth-Century Plantation Slave
  • Glow: The Autobiography of Rick James
  • Prepared for a Purpose: The Inspiring True Story of How One Woman Saved an Atlanta School Under Siege
  • Freedom's Daughters: The Unsung Heroines of the Civil Rights Movement from 1830 to 1970
  • Dynomite!: Good Times, Bad Times, Our Times--A Memoir
  • The Vineyard We Knew—A Recollection of Summers on Martha's Vineyard
  • Blackberry Days of Summer
Daisy Lee Gatson Bates was an American civil rights activist, publisher, journalist, and lecturer who played a leading role in the Little Rock Integration Crisis of 1957.

More about Daisy Bates...