Start by marking “Lady Living Alone” as Want to Read:
Lady Living Alone

Lady Living Alone

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Originally published under the nom de plume Peter Curtis (London: Macdonald, 1945).
Unknown Binding, 188 pages
Published 1945 by Doubleday Books

To ask other readers questions about Lady Living Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Living Alone

The Crystal Cave by Mary StewartShadow of the Moon by M.M. KayePenmarric by Susan HowatchA Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-PorterA Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  Smith
Historical Gems from the Past
286th out of 339 books — 371 voters
Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierAtonement by Ian McEwanMrs. Dalloway by Virginia WoolfHowards End by E.M. ForsterThe Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
Best Novels Set in 20th-century Britain
232nd out of 323 books — 168 voters

More lists with this book...

Joanne Moyer
Miss Penelope Shadow has long been considered an odd little thing. She's never really done anything on her own and a life long phobia of being alone in a house after dark has her currently living with her half sister and her two children. She considers herself a writer, though none of her books have ever done anything, when out of nowhere "Mexican Flower" becomes a best seller with a movie in the works. Miss Shadow finds herself for the first time in the position to be
self sufficient and decides
Michael
May 14, 2016 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Penelope Shadow ist eine alleinstehende neurotische Dame, die in mittleren Jahren als Schriftstellerin endlich finanzielle Unabhängigkeit erlangt. Da sie es nicht ertragen kann, alleine in ihrem Haus zu sein, flieht sie, einmal mehr von ihren Hausbediensteten verlassen, in ein höchst sonderbares abgelegenes Hotel. Hier führt eine gestrenge edwardianische Dame das Ruder, unter deren Willkür die unsichere Pen ebenso leidet wie der dort angestellte irische Junge für alles.
Dieser erste Teil des Roma
Apr 22, 2008 Sarah rated it did not like it
Shelves: to-be-edited
The heroine of this book is an extremely silly woman, and it's hard to believe that anyone could be such a fool. But she does redeem herself with cleverness at the end. I rather liked the ending, which is the only thing that saved it from a one-star rating for me. I'm a Norah Lofts fan, but this isn't one of her best.
Cynthia  Scott
May 22, 2016 Cynthia Scott rated it really liked it
A period piece book written in 1985 but feels like it could have been written in the 1940's. The delightful story of a slightly eccentric lady writer. Makes me wonder if it is somewhat autobiographical, at least as the foundation of the story. Fun read. I enjoyed Norah Lofts historical novels very much many years ago, and the protagonist in this book is researching writing historical novels.
Sharon
Feb 25, 2015 Sharon added it
How powerful is self doubt? So powerful that when horrid things slap you in the face it is too difficult to comprehend. Actually we do comprehend on some level, but we refuse to trust our own instinct, our reality is not our dream. This will hit home to anyone who waivers between what things should be, and how things can actually be.
Joy H.
Added 2/6/15.
(Originally published under the nom de plume Peter Curtis.)
I read this book a long time ago.
Dawn
Feb 16, 2013 Dawn rated it really liked it
A charming, old-fashioned British novel with a delightful twist ending. A good book to curl up to with a cup of tea on a cold winter day.
Angela
Nov 30, 2010 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, modern
I prefer Norah Lofts in historical mode.
Amy
Mar 14, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Best book ever!!!!
KH
KH added it
Jun 13, 2016
Amber Hennessey
Amber Hennessey marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Goldie Browning
Goldie Browning rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Merrie Johnson
Merrie Johnson rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Laurie Schnebly
Laurie Schnebly rated it did not like it
Mar 27, 2016
Louise Walters
Louise Walters rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Mirjana
Mirjana marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Sheri
Sheri marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Tessa
Tessa rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2014
AnimalLover
AnimalLover marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Ruthe
Ruthe rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Karen Galber
Karen Galber marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Pseudonym of Norah Lofts
More about Peter Curtis...