Start by marking “The Elsie Dinsmore Series (original)” as Want to Read:
The Elsie Dinsmore Series (original)

The Elsie Dinsmore Series (original)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Hard Cover
Published 2004 by Vision Forum Ministries (in assosiation with Mantle Ministries)

To ask other readers questions about The Elsie Dinsmore Series, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elsie Dinsmore Series

Gretchen
Ofcourse, you have to read the original series by Martha Finley. The modern, abridged series is not even comparable (yes, I have read both).
The Elsie Dinsmore books are charming, American classics!
Katherine
These books gave me my love for reading as a child, and my love for the 18th century.
Kelley Pegelow
These books teach horrible lessons, like how to be a doormat and how to develop Stockholm Syndrome for abusers. It begins in the antebellum South, although the author pretty much knew nothing about the South. Also, it's racist as all get-out. I understand that part of that is the time period in which it was written, but to insist that the slaves are all dumb as bricks and actually say things like, "I tinks it's berry good my bressed chile read de Bible." I'm not exaggerating.

It's not even worth
Taylor
Really good literature! Very good for early teenage girls. Elsie is so perfect, it tends to be a little unbelievable at times, but they are very well written; the language is very descriptive and elegant.
Carrie
I loved this series growing up... I have actually thought about re-reading them recently.
Jacqie
Jan 29, 2008 Jacqie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all girls
I actually only read books 1-12 because that is all we own. I oughta go to the library and read the rest! I read the first 12, like 5 times or something. My favorites are the 3rd and 4th books - Elsie's Girlhood and Elsie's Womanhood. My lil sis is reading them now.
Caitlin Connell
I read this series when I was a teenager. I enjoyed the series then but there are a lot of books!
Elissa
Oct 09, 2007 Elissa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girls up to 11 or 12
It was a really good series, but Elsie was unhumanly angelic, so it's a little unbelievable
Faye Johnson
I read this series of books as a child and dearly loved them. In many ways, Elsie influenced the person I became. A re-read of the series finds them a bit dull by today's standards, but still promote a set of morals and character that are rare and refreshing.
Janine
Janine added it
Jan 10, 2015
Raili
Raili marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Glorybeafarm
Glorybeafarm marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Escape from the Slave Traders
  • Mandie and Joe's Christmas Surprise
  • Tall, Dark, and Determined (Husbands for Hire, #2)
  • California Chances: Three Brothers Play the Role of Protector as Romance Develops (California Chances #1-3)
  • The Basket of Flowers: A Tale for the Young
  • Too Many Secrets (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #1)
  • Stitched with Love Collection
  • Heirloom Brides: Button String Bride/Wedding Quilt Bride/Bayside Bride/Persistent Bride
  • No Way Out
  • A Texas Brides Collection: 9 Romances from the Old West
  • No Safe Haven
  • Wings of Dawn
  • Christmas Mail-Order Brides: Four Mail-Order Brides Travel the Transcontinental Railroad in Search of Love
  • Holiday Hideout
  • The Lamplighter
Martha Finley was a teacher and author of numerous works, the most well known being the 28 volume Elsie Dinsmore series which was published over a span of 38 years. Finley wrote many of her books under the pseudonym Martha Farquharson.

For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_F... or, http://marthafinley.wordpress.com/
More about Martha Finley...
Elsie Dinsmore (The Original Elsie Classics #1) Elsie's Endless Wait (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #1) Elsie's Impossible Choice (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #2) Elsie's New Life (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #3) Elsie's Stolen Heart (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #4)