Start by marking “The Elsie Dinsmore Series (original)” as Want to Read:
The Elsie Dinsmore Series (original)

The Elsie Dinsmore Series (original)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  191 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Hard Cover
Published 2004 by Vision Forum Ministries (in assosiation with Mantle Ministries)

To ask other readers questions about The Elsie Dinsmore Series, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elsie Dinsmore Series

Gretchen
Nov 15, 2014 Gretchen rated it really liked it
Ofcourse, you have to read the original series by Martha Finley. The modern, abridged series is not even comparable (yes, I have read both).
The Elsie Dinsmore books are charming, American classics!
Katherine
Jul 30, 2010 Katherine rated it really liked it
These books gave me my love for reading as a child, and my love for the 18th century.
Taylor
Feb 12, 2008 Taylor rated it really liked it
Really good literature! Very good for early teenage girls. Elsie is so perfect, it tends to be a little unbelievable at times, but they are very well written; the language is very descriptive and elegant.
Kelley Pegelow
Mar 21, 2012 Kelley Pegelow rated it did not like it
These books teach horrible lessons, like how to be a doormat and how to develop Stockholm Syndrome for abusers. It begins in the antebellum South, although the author pretty much knew nothing about the South. Also, it's racist as all get-out. I understand that part of that is the time period in which it was written, but to insist that the slaves are all dumb as bricks and actually say things like, "I tinks it's berry good my bressed chile read de Bible." I'm not exaggerating.

It's not even worth
Carrie
Dec 28, 2010 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I loved this series growing up... I have actually thought about re-reading them recently.
Jacqie
Jan 29, 2008 Jacqie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all girls
I actually only read books 1-12 because that is all we own. I oughta go to the library and read the rest! I read the first 12, like 5 times or something. My favorites are the 3rd and 4th books - Elsie's Girlhood and Elsie's Womanhood. My lil sis is reading them now.
Caitlin Connell
May 14, 2012 Caitlin Connell rated it liked it
I read this series when I was a teenager. I enjoyed the series then but there are a lot of books!
Elissa
Oct 09, 2007 Elissa rated it liked it
Recommends it for: girls up to 11 or 12
It was a really good series, but Elsie was unhumanly angelic, so it's a little unbelievable
Gabby
Sep 09, 2015 Gabby rated it it was amazing
Love the books! I have read the 1st series which is up to book 12. The 1st 4 books are really sad and I cried a lot while reading it. But once you get passed it everything is pretty good. Even though I still would cry at least once while reading each book. Martha Finley is a amazing writer! I definitely recommend this series!
Mar 04, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely story. I love the relationship between Elsie and her father Horace. It's very special and dear to my heart because I think of my own relationship with my father.
Kate Gilkey
Sep 09, 2015 Kate Gilkey rated it it was amazing
My favorite books when I was in Middle School!
Faye Johnson
Feb 11, 2014 Faye Johnson rated it it was amazing
I read this series of books as a child and dearly loved them. In many ways, Elsie influenced the person I became. A re-read of the series finds them a bit dull by today's standards, but still promote a set of morals and character that are rare and refreshing.
Jennifer rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2016
Ellie
Ellie rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
C
C marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Dawn Stine
Dawn Stine rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2016
Catlyn
Catlyn rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Lashay
Lashay marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Daria
Daria rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Emily Zdanowicz
Emily Zdanowicz rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Meg Hill-Grigson
Meg Hill-Grigson rated it did not like it
Dec 03, 2015
McKenzie Fairman
McKenzie Fairman marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
  • Shanghaied to China
  • The Basket of Flowers: A Tale for the Young
  • Tirzah
  • A Bride Goes West
  • Heirloom Brides: Button String Bride/Wedding Quilt Bride/Bayside Bride/Persistent Bride
  • Mandie and Joe's Christmas Surprise
  • California Brides
  • Too Many Secrets (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #1)
  • Stitched with Love Collection
  • Christmas Mail-Order Brides: Four Mail-Order Brides Travel the Transcontinental Railroad in Search of Love
  • No Safe Haven
  • Montana Marriages Trilogy (Montana Marriages, #1-3)
  • A Texas Brides Collection: 9 Romances from the Old West
  • Wings of Dawn
  • The Brides of Chance Collection
  • Bluebonnet Bride (Butterfly Palace, #1.5)
Martha Finley was a teacher and author of numerous works, the most well known being the 28 volume Elsie Dinsmore series which was published over a span of 38 years. Finley wrote many of her books under the pseudonym Martha Farquharson.

For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_F... or, http://marthafinley.wordpress.com/
More about Martha Finley...

“the large buckets about the” 0 likes