Rediscovering Catechism: The Art of Equipping Covenant Children

Rediscovering Catechism: The Art of Equipping Covenant Children

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A contribution to the renaissance of catechism. Investigates the meaning and history of catechizing and outlines practical considerations and steps for productive catechizing.
Published October 1st 2000 by P & R Publishing

Kathy
I enjoyed this book because of its simplicity and common sense approach to a skill that must be redeveloped in this generation. Our churches are not teaching their children well. In our world (Reformed) we still catechize our children, but in the evangelical world I came from, it was non-existent. It has been the burden of my heart for many years that my own children were not catechized because I knew nothing about its benefits when they were small.

For anyone that has children, heed the sound co...more
Kyle LaPorte
A very practical book about the who, what, why, where, and when's of all things catechetical teaching and learning. Great book.
Jacob
A quick, engaging, great read. Van Dyken did a great job explaining the history and importance of catechizing our children, and the impact it will have not only them but the church as well. Would definitely recommend to others and might re-read. This has made me more serious about catechizing our children and making it more of a priority.
Peter N.
I really enjoyed this book. It is primarily about the history of catechism and the practical implementation of a catechesis in family life and the life of a church. Pastor Van Dyken is warm and pastoral in his approach, which makes the book a good read for those who may not like the idea of catechizing.
Emily Woodham
LOVED THIS! This was well laid out, inspiring, and full of useful information about the history, whys, and hows of catechizing your children. We don't attend a church that promotes catechism, but we are going to catechise our kids at home.
Brett
It's one thing to know the catechism is a valuable thing. It's an entirely different thing to know why it is valuable.
Victor
Definitely gave me a better understanding of how catechesis actually works.

Thanks for the lend, Jacob!
Danny
Good, concise, practical primer on implementing catechism classes in the church.
James
James marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Troy Anderson
Troy Anderson marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Joyce
Joyce added it
Feb 14, 2014
Timothy
Timothy marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Vaughn
Vaughn marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Bunny
Bunny marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Emily Foster
Emily Foster marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2013
Edward Waverley
Edward Waverley marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Taryn
Taryn added it
Jun 12, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
May 13, 2013
David Morgan
David Morgan marked it as to-read
May 08, 2013
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2013
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
Drew
Drew added it
Dec 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Covenantal Catechism - Book 6 - The Epistles & Revelation Covenantal Catechism - Book 5 - The Acts