Start by marking “Reelecting Lincoln: The Battle for the 1864 Presidency” as Want to Read:
Reelecting Lincoln: The Battle for the 1864 Presidency

Reelecting Lincoln: The Battle for the 1864 Presidency

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
John Waugh combines corroborative detail and anecdotal material that not only make compelling reading but also put the pivotal presidential election of 1864 in its proper context in the history of American politics. Drawing from primary sources, reminiscences, memoirs, autobiographies, letters, newspaper, and periodicals, he clearly evokes the drama of a political reporter ...more
Published January 20th 1998 by Crown

To ask other readers questions about Reelecting Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reelecting Lincoln

John Adams by David McCulloughTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns GoodwinWashington by Ron ChernowTruman by David McCulloughThe Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris
Best Presidential Biographies
145th out of 183 books — 295 voters
Leadership by Carlos    RiveraLincoln by David Herbert DonaldAbraham Lincoln by Allen C. GuelzoLincoln's Emancipation Proclamation by Allen C. GuelzoLincoln at Cooper Union by Harold Holzer
Abraham Lincoln: A Reading List
41st out of 44 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Kinksrock
Jan 19, 2016 Kinksrock rated it really liked it
This book reminds us that, although we have made Lincoln an icon, he was a man, and, in particular, he was a man who was a politician. Golden rays of light did not come down from the heavens and make him our president. People had to fight and work and manipulate to get him where he was . . . twice!

Even though I have read many books about Lincoln, I never realized that the 1864 election was such a hard-fought battle. Many thought he was going to lose. Many (especially the "Radical" Republicans) t
Glenn Robinson
Jun 02, 2013 Glenn Robinson rated it really liked it
Fascinating recount of the 1864 Elections. How to campaign while war was going on, when the lead candidate generally did not campaign? President Lincoln's main opponent was General McClellan, who lived up to his reputation of not being able to execute a campaign. Many wanted McClellan to win in order to end the war, others wanted Lincoln in order for other reasons.
Scott Sedar
Aug 10, 2012 Scott Sedar rated it really liked it
This is a tremendously interesting book because it examines so many different sides to an election, especially one taking place during a Civil War.
Truly, I enjoyed every page.
Dawn Gessner
Jan 26, 2014 Dawn Gessner rated it really liked it
Learned some interesting things about this election and about Lincoln
Scott
Jan 04, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: lincoln-books
I have owned this book for a long time, but I only picked it up as the 150th anniversary of Lincoln's reelection was marked. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to gain some valuable insight into the remarkable events of 1864, which proved that a great nation, even in the midst of civil war, can maintain its principles and carry itself through to a brighter future.
Mark
Dec 01, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: abraham-lincoln
A very good in-depth book about 19th century politics. Nothing has changed in 150 years. It shows the depths that men will go to and do to have their ideas and beliefs shoved to the forefront of one of the most important elections of this country. I highly reccomend it for those who like political books and those who are fans of Abraham Lincoln.
Melodee
May 17, 2008 Melodee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Believe it or not, I learned some new things about Lincoln and the political workings of his presidency from this book. I liked the excerpts from the diaries of notable people of the time particularly. It is obviously well researched. It would be an excellent read for anyone interested in Lincolniana, the history of the 19th century, or politics.
James
Jun 29, 2009 James is currently reading it
Great book, well written by my brotherin-law.
Tommyb
May 01, 2009 Tommyb added it
Shelves: 22-10, 12-21-2007
History,US presidents,US history,Lincoln
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Kent
Kent added it
Feb 16, 2016
Wael Zwain
Wael Zwain marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Esnellvideo
Esnellvideo marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Fergus Bordewich
Fergus Bordewich rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Justin Mauro
Justin Mauro marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Erick
Erick added it
Feb 23, 2016
Evan
Evan rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Dan Eggleston
Dan Eggleston rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
K
K rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Kathy Brown
Kathy Brown marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A Brief Self-Serving Bio

I'm a journalist turned historical reporter:

1956–1973, staff correspondent and bureau chief on The Christian Science Monitor. Honors included the American Bar Association’s 1972 Silver Gavel Award for the best national reporting, for a series on American prisons.
1973–1976, media specialist on the staff of Republican Vice President Nelson Rockefeller of New York.
1983–1988, p
More about John C. Waugh...