Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash!

Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash!

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  19 reviews
THE GARBAGE TRUCKS

ARE HERE TODAY!

Smashing, mashing,

lights a-flashing,

gobblin' garbage,

GULPITY-GULP.

From castaway furniture to last night's leftovers, no job is too big or too small for this rugged team. With an upbeat, rhythmic text, Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash! follows two garbage trucks on their route. What results is a stinky, roaring, rumbling mess -

Published October 10th 2006 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinBark, George by Jules FeifferThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
220th out of 253 books — 105 voters
Turtle Wish by Murielle CyrWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakLove You Forever by Robert MunschClick Clack Moo by Doreen CroninThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Best Books for a New Child's Library
156th out of 166 books — 118 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa
I love Will Hillenbrand, but my heart belongs to Trashy Town and I Stink!
Bambini Travel
Whenever we come home from the library my kids tend to latch on to one or two books for the week ahead. This week they demand SMASH! MASH! CRASH! THERE GOES THE TRASH! many, many times a day. Barbara Odanaka's rendition of trash pickup is exciting, colorful, and disgustingly accurate. Where my children find delight at the loud "booming, banging", the workers with "greasy gloves...sticky boots" and the fly infested "gooey, gloppy" garbage rituals, I pause. Garbage is gross. Odanaka has relayed it...more
Mary
This is a short and simple introduction to trash trucks and what they do. There is not very much explanation, so it certainly would encourage dialogic reading for that reason. It would be best for a very young audience because of its simplicity--good for kids who are more likely looking at the pictures than reading the story.
Crossingbird
Age range: 3-5
Literacy skills: Phonological awareness

Fun rhymes about garbage and garbage trucks.
Samantha Penrose
My boys just cant get enough of this one...
Who doesn't love peering out the window at obscenely early hours to watch the garbage men at work?!
This book has great rhythm and rhyme and has very detailed descriptions of yucky garbage can contents....dirty diapers, moldy bread, rotten eggs....just what a little boy wants to hear about!
My three year old asks to have this read to him over and over and both he and my five year old quickly committed most of it to memory.
A must read for any child fascin...more
Jenny
Maybe I should give this book at least 2 stars, but I was not a big fan. My 2 1/2 year old has a current fear of garbage trucks, and I think he liked this book more than I did. I just didn't like all the sounds and images of the gross food going into the trucks--I guess there are some things I would rather leave to my imagination.
Ellen
Apr 14, 2008 Ellen rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Trash Fans, Ages 3 and up
Here's to a world where there simply can't be enough children's books about trash trucks. There's 'I Stink' and, of course, 'Trashy Town,' then along comes this charmer, a newcomer to our collection. Similarities abound and my 4 year-old took notice right away. Cute, though, and will likely see a repeated reading or seven.
Edna
Two little pigs get up early to watch and listen to the sights and sounds created by the garbage truck gathers trash in their neighborhood. A fun read aloud book with single words that describe the action, sounds and smells of the city. (4-8 yrs)
Tabatha
I loved the rhyming in this book. The hard sound of each word really worked well with the book's theme of garbage trucks mashing up garbage. It really got the toddler's attention. I would use this book again in the future.
Vicki
This book fit well into the theme of Trashy/Smelly for PreSchool Story Time. The garbage truck illustration had the truck with eyes & mouth/teeth at the back. Cute
jacky
Natalie picked this book out herself. She liked the pigs on the back cover. We read it several nights in a row. Its a fun title about trash trucks.
Meredith
Another picture book for boys who like trucks. Simple rhyming text with brightly colors illustrations, the garbage trucks even has a face.
Kristina
Nice rhyme and playful text. I just don't care for some of the scenes (dirty diapers, flies, belching, etc.).
Amanda
A fun noise word book. Rhyming makes it a good read-aloud, although it may have been a little easy for my 5 yr old...
Lindsay
Great language and Hillendbrand's illustrations add personality and humor. Great for kids who love the garbage truck!
Hmbb99
My boys love this book. The descriptive sounds, the rhymes, and the trash made them laugh.
Paula
Presents a rhyming imitation of all the sights and sounds of the neighborhood on trash day.
Inspired Kathy
Lots of fun for small boys. Pictures are kinda of dark.
Cristina
so cute and fun to read!
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Abigail Bechard
Abigail Bechard marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Mrs Mary
Mrs Mary marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Clarissahendricks
Clarissahendricks marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014