Start by marking “Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash!” as Want to Read:
Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash!

Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash!

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  180 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
THE GARBAGE TRUCKS
ARE HERE TODAY!

Smashing, mashing,
lights a-flashing,
gobblin' garbage,

GULPITY-GULP.

From castaway furniture to last night's leftovers, no job is too big or too small for this rugged team. With an upbeat, rhythmic text, Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash! follows two garbage trucks on their route. What results is a stinky, roaring, rumbling mess --
Published October 10th 2006 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash!

Joey Alison Sayers
Feb 01, 2015 Joey Alison Sayers rated it it was ok
Okay, this book gets any stars at all because my 2.5-year-old likes it, and because it's super cute listening to her say the title. But, you guys! Nearly everything that is thrown into the trash truck is compostable. I mean, yes I've lived in the SF Bay Area most of my life, and yes we have curbside composting, so yes I'm kind of a hippie by default. But man, we've got to divert food waste out of our landfills, man. Seriously, though, compost is amazing. I'm not a perfect environmentalist or any ...more
Melissa
I love Will Hillenbrand, but my heart belongs to Trashy Town and I Stink!
Jess
Jul 07, 2016 Jess rated it liked it
July 2016 - not quite as much fun to read as Trashy Town, and not quite as thorough as I Stink!, but still lots of fun for Ben, who's into garbage trucks lately.
Steve_sonderman
Jul 25, 2014 Steve_sonderman rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. The illustrations were unique. The rhyme was basic and used a lot of onomatopoeia. The book looked at the sights and noises that are present when the garbage is picked up in the morning. I haven't seen a children's book like it. The book could be used to teach children the about rhyme as well as introduce them to onomatopoeia.
Bambini Travel
Mar 05, 2013 Bambini Travel rated it liked it
Whenever we come home from the library my kids tend to latch on to one or two books for the week ahead. This week they demand SMASH! MASH! CRASH! THERE GOES THE TRASH! many, many times a day. Barbara Odanaka's rendition of trash pickup is exciting, colorful, and disgustingly accurate. Where my children find delight at the loud "booming, banging", the workers with "greasy gloves...sticky boots" and the fly infested "gooey, gloppy" garbage rituals, I pause. Garbage is gross. Odanaka has relayed it ...more
Mary
This is a short and simple introduction to trash trucks and what they do. There is not very much explanation, so it certainly would encourage dialogic reading for that reason. It would be best for a very young audience because of its simplicity--good for kids who are more likely looking at the pictures than reading the story.
Samantha Penrose
Dec 15, 2008 Samantha Penrose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
My boys just cant get enough of this one...
Who doesn't love peering out the window at obscenely early hours to watch the garbage men at work?!
This book has great rhythm and rhyme and has very detailed descriptions of yucky garbage can contents....dirty diapers, moldy bread, rotten eggs....just what a little boy wants to hear about!
My three year old asks to have this read to him over and over and both he and my five year old quickly committed most of it to memory.
A must read for any child fascin
Jenny
Jul 01, 2008 Jenny rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Maybe I should give this book at least 2 stars, but I was not a big fan. My 2 1/2 year old has a current fear of garbage trucks, and I think he liked this book more than I did. I just didn't like all the sounds and images of the gross food going into the trucks--I guess there are some things I would rather leave to my imagination.
Ellen
Apr 14, 2008 Ellen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Trash Fans, Ages 3 and up
Here's to a world where there simply can't be enough children's books about trash trucks. There's 'I Stink' and, of course, 'Trashy Town,' then along comes this charmer, a newcomer to our collection. Similarities abound and my 4 year-old took notice right away. Cute, though, and will likely see a repeated reading or seven.
Edna
Jun 14, 2010 Edna rated it liked it
Two little pigs get up early to watch and listen to the sights and sounds created by the garbage truck gathers trash in their neighborhood. A fun read aloud book with single words that describe the action, sounds and smells of the city. (4-8 yrs)
Tabatha
Nov 22, 2011 Tabatha rated it it was amazing
I loved the rhyming in this book. The hard sound of each word really worked well with the book's theme of garbage trucks mashing up garbage. It really got the toddler's attention. I would use this book again in the future.
Betsy
May 08, 2015 Betsy rated it really liked it
one of my sons favorite books.
he loves garbage trucks.
he loves rhyming books.
he loves humor.

it checks, checks, checks all 3 for a 3 year old boy.

good read.
Vicki
Oct 12, 2012 Vicki rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, pre-school
This book fit well into the theme of Trashy/Smelly for PreSchool Story Time. The garbage truck illustration had the truck with eyes & mouth/teeth at the back. Cute
The Brothers
Mar 04, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
When you're in the garbage truck phase, this is a good book to get. Not especially new or fresh, but solid with fun illustrations.
jacky
Jan 06, 2013 jacky rated it liked it
Natalie picked this book out herself. She liked the pigs on the back cover. We read it several nights in a row. Its a fun title about trash trucks.
Meredith
Sep 14, 2010 Meredith rated it it was ok
Another picture book for boys who like trucks. Simple rhyming text with brightly colors illustrations, the garbage trucks even has a face.
Kristina
Aug 05, 2013 Kristina rated it it was ok
Nice rhyme and playful text. I just don't care for some of the scenes (dirty diapers, flies, belching, etc.).
Amanda
Mar 24, 2011 Amanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-s-books
A fun noise word book. Rhyming makes it a good read-aloud, although it may have been a little easy for my 5 yr old...
Lindsay
Great language and Hillendbrand's illustrations add personality and humor. Great for kids who love the garbage truck!
Liesel
May 27, 2014 Liesel rated it liked it
Shelves: preschool
Age range: 3-5
Literacy skills: Phonological awareness

Fun rhymes about garbage and garbage trucks.
Holly
May 25, 2013 Holly rated it really liked it
My boys love this book. The descriptive sounds, the rhymes, and the trash made them laugh.
Paula
Jul 20, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
Presents a rhyming imitation of all the sights and sounds of the neighborhood on trash day.
Inspired Kathy
Feb 20, 2009 Inspired Kathy rated it liked it
Lots of fun for small boys. Pictures are kinda of dark.
Emily
Jul 01, 2014 Emily rated it it was ok
Yeah, just not feeling this one...
Cristina
Feb 13, 2008 Cristina rated it it was amazing
so cute and fun to read!
debbie larsen
debbie larsen rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Ioan Marginean
Ioan Marginean marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Laura added it
Jul 18, 2016
Grace Hampton
Grace Hampton marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016