Start by marking “Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash!” as Want to Read:
Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash!

Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash!

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  22 reviews
THE GARBAGE TRUCKS
ARE HERE TODAY!

Smashing, mashing,
lights a-flashing,
gobblin' garbage,

GULPITY-GULP.

From castaway furniture to last night's leftovers, no job is too big or too small for this rugged team. With an upbeat, rhythmic text, Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash! follows two garbage trucks on their route. What results is a stinky, roaring, rumbling mess --...more
Published October 10th 2006 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash!

Melissa
I love Will Hillenbrand, but my heart belongs to Trashy Town and I Stink!
Steve_sonderman
I really liked this book. The illustrations were unique. The rhyme was basic and used a lot of onomatopoeia. The book looked at the sights and noises that are present when the garbage is picked up in the morning. I haven't seen a children's book like it. The book could be used to teach children the about rhyme as well as introduce them to onomatopoeia.
Bambini Travel
Whenever we come home from the library my kids tend to latch on to one or two books for the week ahead. This week they demand SMASH! MASH! CRASH! THERE GOES THE TRASH! many, many times a day. Barbara Odanaka's rendition of trash pickup is exciting, colorful, and disgustingly accurate. Where my children find delight at the loud "booming, banging", the workers with "greasy gloves...sticky boots" and the fly infested "gooey, gloppy" garbage rituals, I pause. Garbage is gross. Odanaka has relayed it...more
Mary
This is a short and simple introduction to trash trucks and what they do. There is not very much explanation, so it certainly would encourage dialogic reading for that reason. It would be best for a very young audience because of its simplicity--good for kids who are more likely looking at the pictures than reading the story.
Betsy
one of my sons favorite books.
he loves garbage trucks.
he loves rhyming books.
he loves humor.

it checks, checks, checks all 3 for a 3 year old boy.

good read.
Samantha Penrose
My boys just cant get enough of this one...
Who doesn't love peering out the window at obscenely early hours to watch the garbage men at work?!
This book has great rhythm and rhyme and has very detailed descriptions of yucky garbage can contents....dirty diapers, moldy bread, rotten eggs....just what a little boy wants to hear about!
My three year old asks to have this read to him over and over and both he and my five year old quickly committed most of it to memory.
A must read for any child fascin...more
Jenny
Maybe I should give this book at least 2 stars, but I was not a big fan. My 2 1/2 year old has a current fear of garbage trucks, and I think he liked this book more than I did. I just didn't like all the sounds and images of the gross food going into the trucks--I guess there are some things I would rather leave to my imagination.
Ellen
Apr 14, 2008 Ellen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Trash Fans, Ages 3 and up
Here's to a world where there simply can't be enough children's books about trash trucks. There's 'I Stink' and, of course, 'Trashy Town,' then along comes this charmer, a newcomer to our collection. Similarities abound and my 4 year-old took notice right away. Cute, though, and will likely see a repeated reading or seven.
Edna
Two little pigs get up early to watch and listen to the sights and sounds created by the garbage truck gathers trash in their neighborhood. A fun read aloud book with single words that describe the action, sounds and smells of the city. (4-8 yrs)
Tabatha
I loved the rhyming in this book. The hard sound of each word really worked well with the book's theme of garbage trucks mashing up garbage. It really got the toddler's attention. I would use this book again in the future.
Vicki
This book fit well into the theme of Trashy/Smelly for PreSchool Story Time. The garbage truck illustration had the truck with eyes & mouth/teeth at the back. Cute
jacky
Natalie picked this book out herself. She liked the pigs on the back cover. We read it several nights in a row. Its a fun title about trash trucks.
Meredith
Another picture book for boys who like trucks. Simple rhyming text with brightly colors illustrations, the garbage trucks even has a face.
Kristina
Nice rhyme and playful text. I just don't care for some of the scenes (dirty diapers, flies, belching, etc.).
Amanda
A fun noise word book. Rhyming makes it a good read-aloud, although it may have been a little easy for my 5 yr old...
Lindsay
Great language and Hillendbrand's illustrations add personality and humor. Great for kids who love the garbage truck!
Crossingbird
Age range: 3-5
Literacy skills: Phonological awareness

Fun rhymes about garbage and garbage trucks.
Holly
My boys love this book. The descriptive sounds, the rhymes, and the trash made them laugh.
Paula
Presents a rhyming imitation of all the sights and sounds of the neighborhood on trash day.
Inspired Kathy
Lots of fun for small boys. Pictures are kinda of dark.
Emily
Yeah, just not feeling this one...
Cristina
so cute and fun to read!
Stacy