Start by marking “Sins of the Fathers” as Want to Read:
Sins of the Fathers

Sins of the Fathers

Lindy Field takes on the job of defending a 13 year old accused of multiple homocide & finds the case isn't altogether as clear cut as commonly believed. Her client refuses to cooperate & Lindy becomes convinced he's shielding someone else.
Published March 30th 2005 by Zondervan Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Sins of the Fathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sins of the Fathers

Keiki Hendrix
Apr 03, 2009 Keiki Hendrix rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a fast paced, well developed legal drama, this is it. The writer keeps you guessing who the true villian is until the last few pages.

The story centers around Lindy Field, a young, spirited, Harley Davidson riding lawyer with a keen insights, deep compassion, and true grit and Darren DiCinny, the thirteen year old boy accused of murdering six innocent people in cold blood.

Lindy unwilling accepts this pro bono assignment representing Darren beginning with his reason of "God
Jacob Peled
Feb 14, 2014 Jacob Peled rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-stars, _2014
I like the "Legal & Trial" genre. So I thought, here is another "Grisham" type of book. Problem was that it becomes kind of a religious book. It starts with a small trickle of mentioning God, and later on becomes a flood. I am not a religious person. I don't believe in God. Seems as if the author is trying to convince us otherwise. Why not stick to the trial story. Why bring God and church time and again. After 40% through the book, I gave up. There are so many other good books out there. ...more
Drjudy Flury
Mar 01, 2016 Drjudy Flury rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't review books

This will be my first review. I just don't like to take the time to do reviews. But I had to this time! This is Bell's best book. The most engrossing, the most interesting. My second favorite by Bell is Deadlock. My only complaint with Sins of the Fathers is the rather abrupt ending.
Linda
Aug 12, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing
Darren, a 13-year-old boy, does the unthinkable--kills several students and Mr. Dorai at a baseball game. Darren is on trial for the killings, and is either unwilling or unable to help in his own defense. Lindy Field is Darren's defense attorney. She wants to plead insanity for her client. She had lost a previous case, which had ended her up in the hospital under emotional duress. She hadn't practiced law for a year. Judge Green recruits her, speaking of his faith in her abilities to handle this ...more
Victoria
Apr 06, 2011 Victoria rated it really liked it
This book was a compelling read that was hard to put down. James Scott Bell created realistic characters that you fell in love with. My favorite was Roxy, the main character's "assistant". She was funny and a good friend to Lindy throughout the struggles of the book. I have never read a book set around legal issues, and I wondered if it would be a bit dry. But this book was so suspensful. There were several points in the book that I literally shouted "What!!" because of the unexpected twists. I ...more
C.J. Darlington
At first glance, Darren DiCinni is a normal, scrawny teenager - no longer a boy, not yet a man. But looks can be deceiving. This thirteen-year-old has just shot six people to death in cold blood. A slam dunk life-without-parole case? Not to Lindy Field, Darren's young and ambitious defense attorney.

Library Journal calls James Scott Bell "a master of legal suspense", and that's clearly evident in SINS OF THE FATHERS. With a keep-you-guessing plot, witty dialogue, and memorable three-dimensional c
Jamie (The Kansan Reader)
If you like legal suspense this book it for you. I was amazed by it. I picked it up thinking it should be interesting. I wasn't wrong. Darren DiCinni opens fire at a little league baseball game.

I can't say much or I will give away the whole book but wow. Mona, a woman who lost her son, is freaking psycho.

This book was boring at times but even in those times I could not put down the book. I found myself wanting to know how this will end. At the beginning I was totally thinking this is a for sure
justablondemoment
Darren DiCinni walks onto a baseball field one day and open fires with a rifle onto a game in progress killing several. This story is about his defense by a lawyer committed to getting him the help he needs instead of crucifying him like everyone wants.

I finished this book but it was a struggle. It wasn't the story it was the writing. It was disjointed to me. There was to many lose threads and we all know what happens to lose threads.

I did find this in the Christian books and although, those t
L
Jun 28, 2013 L rated it it was amazing
The author of "Sins of the Father" is a former trial lawyer, and does a fantastic job of weaving a courtroom drama that reminded me of a John Grisham novel without the grizzly details. Instead, there is a theme of redemption in the story of a thirteen year old who fires a rifle into a little league baseball game and is scheduled to be tried as an adult. The novel has a really surprising ending and although I can usually guess who the "bad guys" are, this one kept me guessing till the end. A ...more
Jeni Enjaian
The problem with this book is that it's way too complicated for its own good. Even after reading the book twice, I still don't understand all the twists and especially the necessity of all those twists. For example, the whole subplot with the mother of one of the murdered boys felt extremely extraneous and on top of that wasn't even resolved satisfactorily. This one, for that reason, does not survive the "great, library purge of 2013."
Angela Dueck
Jun 05, 2015 Angela Dueck rated it liked it
It took me a little while to get into the story, especially when the story started out with many POV characters. I was concerned that it would continue throughout the story but after the prologue there was one main POV character with two other secondary POV characters. I like reading about conspiracies and this book didn't disappoint.
Deb Brammer
Oct 15, 2014 Deb Brammer rated it it was amazing
This is an interesting legal situation where police want to put a killer behind bars so badly that they justify bending the rules. Lindy is a hurting, struggling lawyer who takes on a "hopeless case" because the killer is a hurting kid who needed unusual understanding and compassion.
This book is guaranteed to make you think and shows a strong Christian theme of forgiveness.
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
Feb 26, 2010 Agnes (BeaderBubbe) rated it it was amazing
The justic system is a very complex one and many of us do not know what goes on behind closed doors. Excellent book, you wont be disappointed...twists along the way and dont want to spoil it for anyone, so start reading.....
Julie
Jan 09, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it
This was available as a free KINDLE edition. I've always been interested in trial/lawyer stories, and this was a good one. The book kept my attention throughout and the ending surprised me, which was nice.
Sylvia Mailhot-Bryant
It was okay. I think it could have been a decent story but all the references to God and Christianity really turned me off.....I felt like the purpose of the book was to convert people and preach about God
Kristen Pruett
Feb 20, 2010 Kristen Pruett rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first quarter of this book but then I started skimming which is a true sign that I am bored. I finished it because it was a quick read but nothing totally memorable. Luckily it was free on my kindle.
Melody
Mar 04, 2016 Melody rated it it was amazing
The main premise of the book is that a young boy guns down a bunch of people and it's up to our protagonist to represent him in court. This book was written very well with sympathetic and likable characters.
Beverley Spiller
Jun 27, 2014 Beverley Spiller rated it liked it
got a bit tangled towards the end the plot im thinking although im not an avid reader of these type of books
Trish
Aug 10, 2010 Trish rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. I was wanting a little more details at the end, though. Overall, I thought it was a great story, well developed characters, and not obviously predictable.
Rita
Feb 10, 2016 Rita rated it really liked it
Christian writer with a main character, a court drama involving a 13 year old child, with a test of faith. Anything more would give away the story line.
Linda
Jan 31, 2016 Linda rated it liked it
Kindle Freebie. Christian ficiton which I am enjoying. Story of a 13 year old that shoots six boys at a baseball game. It is attorney Lindy Field's job to defend him. Held my interest to the end.
Dawn Varney
This was an incredible book that I couldn't put down. The father was everything a good christian father should be! (once God got a hold of him)
Lori
Aug 28, 2014 Lori rated it it was amazing
This is a very touching story. What happens to a child's mind when a parent does horrible things. What the legal system wants to do. Great story.

Tee Mcdaniel
Jun 29, 2015 Tee Mcdaniel rated it really liked it
It was pretty good I think it needed a little more detail about the 13 year old's life I wanted to try to understand why this happened
Rachel
Aug 22, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
If You liked winner take all by T. Davis Bunn you will love this book it had a good story line and wasn't crazy obvious who the bad guy was I liked it
Jill Coody
Jill Coody rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2012
Karen Linton
Karen Linton rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2010
Bon Acer
Bon Acer rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Catherine Lovett
Catherine Lovett rated it it was ok
Apr 15, 2011
Carol Thompson
Carol Thompson rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
  • Fireworks
  • Booth's Sister
  • Exposure
  • Snow Melts in Spring
  • The Trial
  • Dark to Mortal Eyes
  • Daisy Chain (Defiance, Texas Trilogy #1)
  • My Name Is Russell Fink
  • The Real Enemy (Sophie Trace Trilogy #1)
  • Irreparable Harm
  • And Then There Were Two (Dani Ross Mystery #2)
  • The Great Divide
  • The Truth Teller
  • Angels Flight (Shannon Saga #2)
  • Solemn Oath (Er Trilogy, #2)
  • Deep Blue
11957
Jim is a former trial lawyer who now writes and speaks full time. He is the bestselling author of Try Dying, No Legal Grounds, Presumed Guilty, Glimpses of Paradise, Breach of Promise and several other thrillers. He is a winner of the Christy Award for Excellence in Inspirational Fiction, and was a fiction columnist for Writers Digest magazine. He has written two books in the Writers' Digest ...more
More about James Scott Bell...

“...God created the world in six days. On the seventh day, he rested. On the eighth day, he started getting complaints. And it hasn't stopped since.” 63 likes