Start by marking “Structuralism And Semiotics” as Want to Read:

Terence Hawkes

Structuralism And Semiotics

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Structuralism and Semiotics
Published (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Structuralism And Semiotics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Structuralism And Semiotics

Alex
Good intro (1977) to where it seemed literary studies would go for a while. Doxa? Sometimes it's fun to see the Hawkes weave the strands (Vico, Saussure, Sapir, Lévi-Strauss, Russian Formalists) together; it'd be more useful to me to see him pull them apart. Pretty good on the 'so what?' - now we can read 'classics' better. Hits all the high notes that a fervent convert would, in the way that a fervent convert should... This version includes a note from the future (2003) wherein Hawkes reminisce ...more
Jose Neira Délano
I am a modest designer and a very modest reader (totally ignorant) so more than a review, here are my impressions on Structuralism and Semiotics: EXTRAORDINARY! LUCID ANALYSIS! Easy to read! Terence Hawkes is a BRILLIANT SCHOLAR.

I bought the book way back in 1992 and only read it thoroughly in 2010 (!)

See, I have been hoping to get the guts to start making works of art. When I read Structuralism & Semiotics I realized that my ideas resonated with many of Hawkes’ analysis and assertions on t
Areej
Piaget <3 de Saussure <3 Lévi-Strauss <3 Jakobson <3 Shekloviski ... very well written book
Luke Echo
An adequate introduction to the subject.
Abdullah Basaran
Disappointing. Nothing is worth reading for semiotics. Hawkes cannot even summarize Derrida's and Barthes's arguments. The worse is its bibliography is utterly bullshit.
Veera
Hideously boring. Fascinating topic, but reading about it is like being sucked into a vortex of confusion and gibberish.
Penny
Not terribly engaging...and a tad dull. Still, it has some interesting points to make about semiotics
Noelle
A good summary of structuralist theory. I could have done without the entire middle section though.
Amr Omran
Amr Omran marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Zarifa
Zarifa marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Nickwalt-
Nickwalt- marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Bethany Shepherd
Bethany Shepherd marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Joe Muntal
Joe Muntal marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Alejandro Mujica
Alejandro Mujica marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Steve Nay
Steve Nay marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Cyberfaust
Cyberfaust marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Zedzadic
Zedzadic marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Kirilov.
Kirilov. marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Meaning by Shakespeare Metaphor Shakespeare in the Present Twentieth Century Interpretations of Macbeth: A Collection of Critical Essays Alternative Shakespeares: Volume 2