Start by marking “The Party after You Left” as Want to Read:
The Party after You Left

The Party after You Left

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The Party, After You Left brings together the last nine years of cartoons from Roz Chast. Together these drawings, which originally appeared in the New Yorker, Scientific American, Redbook, and other publications, constitute a spot-on record of our increasingly absurd existence. As the twenty-first century begins, we can only be grateful that Roz Chast is here to tackle so ...more
Published April 24th 2004 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about The Party after You Left, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Party after You Left

The Sylvia Chronicles by Nicole HollanderTangles by Sarah LeavittMy New York Diary by Julie DoucetThe Party after You Left by Roz ChastThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Female Cartoonists
1st out of 9 books — 5 voters
Fun Home by Alison BechdelAnya's Ghost by Vera BrosgolHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonHyperbole and a Half by Allie BroshThrough the Woods by Emily Carroll
Comics & Graphic Novels by Women
403rd out of 552 books — 456 voters

More lists with this book...

I adore Roz Chast, and I can't read this without laughing so hard that it upsets the cats and once caused a neighbor to knock on my door and make sure I was okay--that loud and that hard!
I literally laughed out loud. Here are some of the niche magazines Chast thought up and placed in an illustration of a newsstand back in 1999:

SCOFFLAW! (the cover shows a man littering)
READER'S DIGEST DIGEST ("Only Three Pages Long!")
Lee Razer
Some were funny, some weren't. That's cartoon humor for you. My favorites:

Trial Balloons in Apartment 3-B (Mom: "Lentils - a tasty, inexpensive alternative to meat.")

Hoax Ethnic Food food cart ("New York's Only Kwzntueaaian Cuisine")

Schadenfruede Monthly magazine cover ("Obnoxious Heiress's Cosmetic Surgery Goes Horribly Wrong! Scads of gruesome pictures, pages 11-15")

The NRA's Written Test for a Gun License ("I'm all for gun safety, but _____________________________ (use reverse side if necessa
Jan 17, 2015 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Very funny. Laugh out loud funny. I liked reading this smaller book better than "Theories of Everything". It was published in 2004, so the comics are more recent than in the larger collection. Would make a good gift...and then, as soon as I think this, I create my own comic response: "Writer Gives Non-Writer Friend A Book" With lots of little bubble thoughts of responses: I already have too many books. I could get this from the library. Where am I going to put this? All those Sunday open houses ...more
Stewart Tame
Roz Chast's cartoons are something of an acquired taste. They're actually more firmly grounded in reality than they may appear at first glance. She combines observational humor with a touch of the surreal and a finely tuned sense of the absurd to create a style that is uniquely her own. I love her work, and am always happy to read it.
(Crossposted from my blog:

Roz Chast is my #1 favorite among the cartoonists whose works appear regularly in The New Yorker. (Don’t you think the cartoons are the reason to flip through a New Yorker?) I have always found her cartoons to be incredibly funny and felt that they depicted the craziness of modern urban life as no other. She focuses purely on the minutiae of domestic life that everyone experiences, but seldom gives a second thought. It helps tha
Took a star off, rather unfairly, because I think everything in here is reprinted in the much more comprehensive Theories of Everything. (This collection predates that one.) Theories is the ultimate Chast compendium, and a highly, HIGHLY recommend it, but all of her smaller works are great, too.
Four stars for "One morning, while getting dressed", "Gifts from the house of low goals", "Schadenfraude Monthly", "New Year's Resolutions in the Animal Kingdom", "$165 Billion!!!' and more. Everything else two or three stars.
This book helped me survive three marriages [not counting innumerable 'girlfriends'], four careers [not counting innumerable 'jobs'], and five college crises [not counting innumerable 'classes' and 'tests'].

I love Roz Chast with an unnerving intensity that, even so, is completely warranted.
I love Roz Chast.
My favorites are the Mixed Marriage cartoons.
I love it when one half of the couple loses it...usually the female and she reminds me of George Castanzas mom but with a rougher voice.
Tracy Fleming-Swehla

Not a graphic novel, like I expected (no, I didn't read the synopsis!). This is a compilation of cartoons by Roz Chast. Some of them made me laugh out loud!
entertaining enough, but a little much to read all in one sitting. I don't think I'm the right demographic for a lot of the humor yet.
Kaylee Vega
This book just makes you feel good. The cartoons themselves made me laugh out loud and I just really enjoyed this book.
lol. Some of these were really funny.
This book made me laugh out loud with sustained laughter.
A mostly humorous collection of one-page comics. I especially enjoyed the “Useful Degrees Comic” (Bachelor of Grocery Arts) and “The NRA’s Written Test” (People who don’t like guns are _____ and ought to be ______.)

However, it’s easy to tell these comics mainly appeared in mainstream publications such as Redbook. Most of them are just a little too general and “safe” for my tastes.
Mar 07, 2015 Ellen added it
A collection of comics previously seen in New Yorker, Scientific American, etc. More of Chast's handy guides for navigating complex (and not so) modern situations and charts for easy recognition of what's what. The Dream Remote, Seasonal Affective Disorder, The Universe In A Grain of Sand
Roz Chast is the funniest cartoonist working today. Of course, her style can cause nausea if you overexpose yourself to it. I'll be sure to re-read this a hundred times and bump the rating up to five stars in the future.
I'm pretty split on Roz Chast. Her longer comics I usually skip because I find them so boring and not funny, but her shorter stuff I like a lot! Actually, more than anything else I love the spine of the book. It's lovely.
we got this book through a visiting artist program. at first i thought some of the cartoons were kind of dumb but then as i kept reading, there were some that were actually quite funny. probably only high school.
Always so much to read and chuckle. Roz has such a unique way of looking at the world. A nice book for the coffeetable
Amar Pai
Jul 17, 2007 Amar Pai rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Roz Chast is the only funny New Yorker cartoonist. Her drawing style in particular always makes me laugh.
not the funniest collection i have read but there were some good parts
Lisa N
Love her off-the-wall humor; amusing mix of the mundane and neurotic.
Keith Michael
she is hilarious. she could illustrate rae armantrout
Ellen Snyder
My favorite cartoonist from the new yorker
Mar 02, 2008 Mily rated it 5 of 5 stars

• Raiders!: The Story of the Greatest Fan Film Ever Made
  • Us: Americans Talk About Love
  • The Amazing Mackerel Pudding Plan: Classic Diet Recipe Cards from the 1970s
  • Wicked History Of The World
  • Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery
  • Book Club (Unshelved, #4)
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 3: 1955-1956
  • 101 Two-Letter Words
  • The New Yorker Book of Cat Cartoons
  • Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery
  • Julius Knipl, Real Estate Photographer
Rosalind "Roz" Chast is an American cartoonist and a staff cartoonist[1] for The New Yorker. She grew up in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn, the only child of awn assistant principal and a high school teacher. Her earliest cartoons were published in Christopher Street and The Village Voice. In 1978 The New Yorker accepted one of her cartoons and has since published more than 800. She also publish ...more
More about Roz Chast...