Theories of Everything: Selected, Collected, and Health-Inspected Cartoons, 1978-2006

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  39 reviews
At last, the comprehensive book of cartoons from beloved New Yorker cartoonist Roz Chast.
Published October 31st 2006 by Bloomsbury USA

Trin
Roz Chast is one of my favorite cartoonists; her work is just the perfect blend of neurotic anxiety, literary humor, and utter wackiness. This is a really great collection, too: 400 pages spanning her entire career, including many of my personal favorites. (Pollyanna in Hell! Yay!) Highly, highly recommended.
Mily
Mar 03, 2008 Mily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
LOVE Roz Chast.

Any New Yorker reader will enjoy this all RC all the time!
400 pages.
It's huge and it's hilarious.

The more neurotic you are the more you'll love it.
And I really loved it.

That is all.
Kirsti
Includes Passive-Aggressive Birthday Gifts (Li'l Smelter! Floozy Factory!), Extremely Practical Jokes (Trick Vitamin Gum! Dental X-Ray Specs!), and _Schadenfreude Monthly_ magazine.
Jessica
This is the greatest book ever written. I'm not kidding. What could possibly be better than a giant book full of Roz Chast cartoons?
Emily
Jun 11, 2009 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: people with mothers or children
Shelves: 5-star-read
I encountered cartoons by Roz Chast back in the 1980's in Seventeen magazine. They made fun of things while capturing teen anguish to a T. For example, I remember the two teenage protagonists needing jobs and aspiring to something glamorous, but ending up at a mall-food-court hot dog stand, wearing ridiculously unattractive uniforms. Years later, I have caught up with Roz Chast again, via this collection of her cartoons for the New Yorker magazine. I spent a great deal of time laughing.

Roz Chas...more
Julianne
This book is relentless. Everyone in it is a bourgeois New Yorker, and it frequently disregards the fact that a “Great Outdoors” even exists. (Guaranteed to make outdoorsy types cry: “Nature Girl and the Four Elements.”) But some of it was funny. Some of it was very funny. Sometimes it was just absurd (I especially liked “Rogue Salad Bar” and “Parallel Universes”), and sometimes, beneath the absurdity and acerbity, it actually reveals something potentially profound about our culture or how we se...more
Elizabeth
I first heard of Roz Chast at a Writers Festival event in Melbourne with a New York theme. She spoke for 20 minutes after which I knew I wanted to see her work. Her quirky, gentle at times ironic look at life's events, small and large is engaging. I enjoyed this book and very happily return to it from time to time.
April Brown
Comic Strip Series.

What ages would I recommend it too? – Adults.

Length? – Pages unnumbered. Each comic is one page or less.

Characters? – Multiple.

Setting? – Everywhere, including imagination.

Written approximately? – 1978 - 2006.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Yes. Many of these comics I do not understand. Most are not funny. They seem to be commentary, rather than funny.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Are these comics supposed to be funny, o...more
Elizabeth B.
Roz Chast has been following me around for the last--hmm 2006 minus 1978--28 years with a notebook! Can a book of humor cartoons be a world classic? Will she be footnoted in some future history of the late 20th century? How well will she convey the spirit of the times? Will my comments help validate some Ph.D. thesis some day? And what would Ms. Chast do with these crazy random, zeitgeist-drenched comments of mine? Here she comes again, with her notebook . . .!
cheeseblab
Did I ever mention meeting Roz Chast? Oh, I did? Well, never mind then.

The only thing that keeps this from being the Best Bathroom Reading of the Year is that it weighs about 8 pounds and is really bulky and sometimes hard to keep balanced when you have other things on your mind. But good lord, this woman is funny--funnier now that I live in Connecticut than she was when I lived in Illinois. Funny, that.
As far as I'm concerned, Roz Chast should really be crowned God immediately. Most of the stuff in this book makes me laugh out loud, and every the ones that don't have sort of a wry genius to them. Also, because this book collects her work starting in 1978, when she sold her first cartoon to the New Yorker, you can see how her style evolved over the years.
Nick
Sort of depends whether you like Roz Chast, but some of this stuff is absolutely hilarious, and several of the cartoons have already become catchphrases in my house, the kind of humor shorthand that seems to just get funnier because of how true-to-life it is (e.g. "face goes all crazy!"). Recommended
Amanda Lueck
I like Chast's regular cartoons much more, and found myself giggling through some of these over breakfast and forcing Chad to look at the ones that represented me. After seeing Chast, they became even funnier moments. I think that she might be one of the funniest women alive.
Anne
OMG, I fell over in the bookstore when I saw this mighty tome of all things Chast. There's something about her deceptively amateurish-looking toons that always tickles and enlightens me, and I seem to know her people. Um, maybe I even AM one of her people. Erk.
Jeff
Oct 21, 2007 Jeff rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: cartoon lovers everywhere, unless they're Garfield fans
The best living New Yorker cartoonist finally has a book big enough to convince anyone that you either get her work, or else you're a giant worthless stick in the mud. Or whatever. But I know where I go when I need a good laugh from a book..
Emilia P
YAY. She's great. This book is great. The world is a mess and ridiculous and people are silly and they get mad and frustrated all the time about silly things. This book would be worth owning. New York-y in the best way.
Sue
Oh, my gosh. She has one cartoon about funny-named towns in Arkansas. I'm going to do one about funny-named towns in Georgia, to emulate her. She is so funny!
Alison
More of a scan than a reading. It's like the author was trying to be like Addams but not getting there. Just not my humor, I guess.
I love Roz Chast! If you like her comics in The New Yorker, you'll like this collection. So funny and excellent.
Shellian731
A good book to read when alone, or with someone who will not judge you harshly for constant sotto voce giggling.
Julie
I love this book. Discovering her cartoons was the high point of reading in 2008
Kirk
Funny, Funny, Funny. Even Funnier then a shopping cart with a broken wheel (page 584)
Cynthia
The best of New Yorker cartoonist Roz Chast. Look for the "Bad Mom Cards."
Mrs. Lee
I absolutely love her style of drawing and her zany perspective of life.
Jonathan
Jan 12, 2008 Jonathan rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: fellow Chast-heads/folks needing a hearty chuckle...
Recommended to Jonathan by: I read about it.
Roz Chast reads my mail. Period.
And I'm ok with that.

I think.
Susan
Thank you, Joan, for a swell birthday present. Roz Chast rules.
Sara-larus
This is the book I read when I am in a bad mood.
Jean Liota
Can't get enough of Roz Chast. Always a treat.
Twanza
Sep 05, 2011 Twanza added it
This is one of the funniest books I've ever read.
Caywoodreads
It's Roz Chast. What else do I need to say?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
What I Hate The Party after You Left Too Busy Marco Parallel Universes The Four Elements: Cartoons by Roz Chast