Start by marking “The Last World War” as Want to Read:
The Last World War

The Last World War (The Last World War #1)

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  159 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews

It started small, with an unprepared band of Marine reservists encountering deadly extraterrestrial visitors in the backwoods of Missouri. But this fatal First Contact rapidly escalates into a global crisis as mankind discovers that two warring species of aliens have invaded our world through a network of hidden interdimensional portals. The apocalyptic conflict between th
Published September 1st 2003 by Pocket Star (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Last World War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last World War

Kennan Bell
Dec 01, 2015 Kennan Bell rated it really liked it
The ultimate battle, man versus alien, this is the conflict that happens in the "The Last World War" by Dayton Ward. Ward did a very good job of telling the story by changing the point of view every chapter wich allows the reader to experience the story from the perspective of soldiers, aliens, and innocent bystanders. Ward also used cliffhangers to keep the readers reading, for example "Alyssa Richards felt an icy hand grip her hart as she considered one final question: Was Humanity capable of ...more
Crystal Bensley
Nov 03, 2015 Crystal Bensley rated it liked it
A decent alien invasion story.
Tim Martin
Sep 01, 2012 Tim Martin rated it really liked it
This is an entertaining story of alien invasion of the Earth in the early 21st century (apparently before the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan). At the time I thought the book was a stand-alone novel (and I do think it can be read as such) but I have since found it a sequel (at least one, I admit to not Google-ing for more) has come out.

The back cover of the book makes it clear (as does just reading a few chapters into the novel) that the Earth becomes an unintended side battleground in an alien ci
I.F. Adams
Mar 24, 2016 I.F. Adams rated it liked it
A bridge between our world and another leads to humanity being caught in the cross fire of a long-running war of another species. Not bad. Not great. Some wonky and strangely inaccurate military technical details that I wouldn't otherwise criticize except for the author being ex-military himself.
Kim Ellison
Nov 08, 2010 Kim Ellison rated it it was amazing
An alien world's civil war has just spilled into your lap. That is what a group of marine reservists must deal with right in the middle of a training exercise. Forced to take sides just to stay alive, how will your decisions affect the survival of Earth? The Last World War is an intelligent, action-packed story that is unlike any "War of the Worlds" you'll ever encounter. The reader quickly sympathizes with all the characters involved as each deals with their own demons while engaged in combat. ...more
Jeanne Boyarsky
Feb 06, 2015 Jeanne Boyarsky rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
What if the cold war went hot + portals to another world + aliens. Except our cold war stayed cold and the alien's did not. And they are more powerful than us. It was an interesting thought experiment. I'm curious where the sequel leads.
Ronald Jones
Jan 21, 2016 Ronald Jones rated it really liked it
Alien invasion story with a twist. Earth is inadvertently plunged into a war against an alien foe that uses portals instead space ships to traverse the gulf between stars.
Jim
Feb 22, 2010 Jim rated it really liked it
This was a good read although it didn't really convey the real extent of what was happening.

A group of Kansas Marine Reservist conducting their annual two-week training at a remote training base in Kansas come into contact with real aliens. This book goes on to describe what happens to these young Marines and also some insights from the aliens.

The book didn't really show the real consequences of what our first encounter with an alien race would be like and it cut some huge corners on our ability
Ken
Jun 25, 2012 Ken rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this book as quickly as I could, eager for it to be over. It's a typical pulp alien invasion tale with little original to support it. In fact, the first third of the book was far too reminiscent of the author's other title, "The Genesis Protocol". He draws on his Marine experience to craft believable characters and combat maneuvers, but the tale otherwise lacked both creativity and a good copyedit.
John Rust
Apr 04, 2012 John Rust rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read. One of the better alien invasion stories. Ward knows how to write solid action scenes. I also liked the variety of characters offered, from the grizzled old Marine sergeant to the female lieutenant dreading the Battle of Washington to the young marine who befriends a good alien. Definitely one to add to you military sci-fi book shelf.
Steven Raszewski
Jan 12, 2014 Steven Raszewski rated it really liked it
Good alien invasion story. There was a second follow up book. Read both.
Mark Takacs
Aug 09, 2011 Mark Takacs rated it it was ok
Ok when it stuck to some of the military engagements. Felt repetitive and overly expositive at times, especially when the characters were thinking to themselves.
Tres
May 03, 2012 Tres rated it it was amazing
Best Sci-Fi book ever!! It has a great twist in the military action with aliens and all. Great action "scenes". Everything about this book is amazing!!
Robert Melos
Aug 10, 2013 Robert Melos rated it really liked it
Interesting retelling of War of the Worlds. Very riviting. The military angle was engaging and realistic. Very enjoyable read.
Jian Rangel
Dec 30, 2012 Jian Rangel rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-sci-fi
A realistic look at what happens when an Alien Civil War spills over onto Earth. The first part of a Duology.
Robert Burnham
Sep 24, 2013 Robert Burnham rated it did not like it
The worse book I've read this year. I didn't make it through 100 pages it was so bad.
Les
Apr 14, 2012 Les rated it it was amazing
Very good military SF. Interesting stargate-like premise. A fun read.
Robert Strupp
Jan 30, 2012 Robert Strupp rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Good book, lots of action, too many adjectives. Glad I read it.
Patricrk patrick
Mar 29, 2013 Patricrk patrick rated it liked it
Shelves: future-military
alien invasion of present day earth using interdimensional tunnels.
Keith Gerlach
Aug 12, 2015 Keith Gerlach rated it really liked it
Fast paced and enjoyable. Bring on the sequel!
Alexander Moore
Alexander Moore rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Ventsislav Peychev
Ventsislav Peychev marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Andrew Armstrong
Andrew Armstrong marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Hunter Bennett
Hunter Bennett rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Gert
Gert marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Michael Cameron
Michael Cameron marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
RHM
RHM rated it it was ok
Mar 22, 2016
Redrake
Redrake marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Chris Fletcher
Chris Fletcher rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2016
  • A World of Difference
  • Storming Intrepid
  • Blood Feuds (War World, #6)
  • Eldar Prophecy
  • Primary Target
  • Warrior Brood
  • Deus Sanguinius
  • The Ruins of Power (BattleTech) (MechWarrior: Dark Age, #3)
  • Roma Eterna
  • Undercover Sex Signals: A Guide For Guys
  • Name of the Beast
  • Dark Disciple
  • Fire Warrior
  • Farseer
  • Deathwing
  • Fox on the Rhine (Fox on the Rhine, #1)
  • Execution Hour (the Gothic war, #1)
  • Hellforged (Soul Drinkers, #5)
Dayton is a software developer, having become a slave to Corporate America after spending eleven years in the U.S. Marine Corps. When asked, he’ll tell you that he left home and joined the military soon after high school because he’d grown tired of people telling him what to do all the time.

Ask him sometime how well that worked out.

In addition to the numerous credits he shares with friend and co
More about Dayton Ward...

The Last World War (2 books)
  • Counterstrike: The Last World War, Book 2