The Last World War

The Last World War (The Last World War #1)

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  14 reviews

It started small, with an unprepared band of Marine reservists encountering deadly extraterrestrial visitors in the backwoods of Missouri. But this fatal First Contact rapidly escalates into a global crisis as mankind discovers that two warring species of aliens have invaded our world through a network of hidden interdimensional portals. The apocalyptic conflict between th...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Pocket Star (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Last World War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last World War

Tim Martin
This is an entertaining story of alien invasion of the Earth in the early 21st century (apparently before the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan). At the time I thought the book was a stand-alone novel (and I do think it can be read as such) but I have since found it a sequel (at least one, I admit to not Google-ing for more) has come out.

The back cover of the book makes it clear (as does just reading a few chapters into the novel) that the Earth becomes an unintended side battleground in an alien ci...more
Kim Ellison
An alien world's civil war has just spilled into your lap. That is what a group of marine reservists must deal with right in the middle of a training exercise. Forced to take sides just to stay alive, how will your decisions affect the survival of Earth? The Last World War is an intelligent, action-packed story that is unlike any "War of the Worlds" you'll ever encounter. The reader quickly sympathizes with all the characters involved as each deals with their own demons while engaged in combat....more
Jim
This was a good read although it didn't really convey the real extent of what was happening.

A group of Kansas Marine Reservist conducting their annual two-week training at a remote training base in Kansas come into contact with real aliens. This book goes on to describe what happens to these young Marines and also some insights from the aliens.

The book didn't really show the real consequences of what our first encounter with an alien race would be like and it cut some huge corners on our ability...more
Ken
I read this book as quickly as I could, eager for it to be over. It's a typical pulp alien invasion tale with little original to support it. In fact, the first third of the book was far too reminiscent of the author's other title, "The Genesis Protocol". He draws on his Marine experience to craft believable characters and combat maneuvers, but the tale otherwise lacked both creativity and a good copyedit.
John Rust
This was an enjoyable read. One of the better alien invasion stories. Ward knows how to write solid action scenes. I also liked the variety of characters offered, from the grizzled old Marine sergeant to the female lieutenant dreading the Battle of Washington to the young marine who befriends a good alien. Definitely one to add to you military sci-fi book shelf.
Steven Raszewski
Good alien invasion story. There was a second follow up book. Read both.
Mark Takacs
Ok when it stuck to some of the military engagements. Felt repetitive and overly expositive at times, especially when the characters were thinking to themselves.
Tres
Best Sci-Fi book ever!! It has a great twist in the military action with aliens and all. Great action "scenes". Everything about this book is amazing!!
Robert Melos
Interesting retelling of War of the Worlds. Very riviting. The military angle was engaging and realistic. Very enjoyable read.
Muggsy Rangel
A realistic look at what happens when an Alien Civil War spills over onto Earth. The first part of a Duology.
Robert Burnham
The worse book I've read this year. I didn't make it through 100 pages it was so bad.
Les
Very good military SF. Interesting stargate-like premise. A fun read.
Robert Strupp
Good book, lots of action, too many adjectives. Glad I read it.
Patricrk patrick
alien invasion of present day earth using interdimensional tunnels.
Michael Stromberg
Michael Stromberg marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Lucas Swanger
Lucas Swanger marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Winterking
Winterking marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
James Holdsworth
James Holdsworth marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Gary Freeman
Gary Freeman marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Dayton is a software developer, having become a slave to Corporate America after spending eleven years in the U.S. Marine Corps. When asked, he’ll tell you that he left home and joined the military soon after high school because he’d grown tired of people telling him what to do all the time.

Ask him sometime how well that worked out.

In addition to the numerous credits he shares with friend and co...more
More about Dayton Ward...
A Time to Sow (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pack, #4) Summon the Thunder (Star Trek: Vanguard, #2) A Time to Harvest (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #4) Open Secrets (Star Trek: Vanguard, #4)