Start by marking “Perennial Vegetables: From Artichokes to Zuiki Taro, a Gardener's Guide to Over 100 Delicious and Easy to Grow Edibles” as Want to Read:

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  453 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
There is a fantastic array of vegetables you can grow in your garden, and not all of them are annuals. In Perennial Vegetables the adventurous gardener will find information, tips, and sound advice on less common edibles that will make any garden a perpetual, low-maintenance source of food.

Imagine growing vegetables that require just about the same amount of care as the fl
Published May 16th 2007 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Perennial Vegetables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perennial Vegetables

jess
Jul 01, 2011 jess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: growing, 2011
This book is fantastic. I got it from the library, but I can imagine referring to it frequently enough to justify buying it. I put off reading this book for a long time because I thought that it would be focused mostly on tropical plants that do well in, say, California. Or Florida. Places that get hours of heat that I can't even imagine. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the author accomodates all different climates and regions, with consideration for minimum and maximum temperatures, as ...more
Hannah
Oct 29, 2012 Hannah rated it liked it
I definitely learned about some intriguing perennial vegetables that I had no idea would grow in our climate. Oh, let's be honest. I had no idea that they even existed. That said, I'm going to make sure I right a list down before I return this book to the library. I was a little disappointed that a lot of the vegetables he mentioned -wouldn't- grow in our climate, but there were still a lot of interesting tidbits and points to pick up from the rest of it. For example: I had no idea that asparagu ...more
Christina Zable
Jun 17, 2010 Christina Zable rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening, food
Can you name a perennial vegetable? You probably know about asparagus. Another? Maybe you know artichokes are perennial (I didn't!) Another? Is rhubarb a vegetable?

This book has over 100 perennial vegetables. There are familiar and semi-familiar things I didn't know were perennial, like chayote and runner beans and shallots. There are lots of aquatic vegetables, with info on how to grow them -- water chestnuts, watercress, and lotus root among them. There are things I've never heard of -- South
Betsy Dion
Jun 02, 2012 Betsy Dion rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is great. The author has collected a list of perennial vegetables that can be grown in the US, and he describes their characteristics and uses. The advantage of perennial vegetables over annuals is that they often require less effort to grow, especially once they are established. Sounds good to me, a neglectful gardener. Some perennial vegetables that I would like to grow include: asparagus, ramps, potato onions, sunchoke/Jerusalem artichoke, and sorrel. There are some great edible aqu ...more
Janie
Really good. High value read. I also watched the companion DVD [does not accompany the book].

This is wonderful for the number of species it introduces, and the regional indices. The "vegetable" definition here is a culinary one. (He doesn't canvass edible flowers. He briefly addresses fruits.)
John Chadwick
Toensmeier makes the case that poly-cultures of perennial vegetables, after proper planting, require no more attention and care than shrubs and can provide a renewable source of food year after year. Black Salsify [Scorzonera, a root crop] is one perennial I have planted this year and I'll reap the benefits yearly as their tender leaves growing from the base of the plant in early Spring yields a 'lettuce tasting leaf.' The plant then bolts in late Summer and dies off in late Fall, but survives t ...more
Rosemary
Feb 20, 2014 Rosemary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eco-politics
I thought I had read most ideas about growing food already, but this is something different. The author introduces many unfamiliar perennial vegetables as well as the well-known asparagus and artichoke. He is quite right that perennial things are a lot less effort and require less watering than annual vegies. Very interesting and controversial ideas about growing weedy/invasive species.

Things I would like to try in my temperate climate are:

Water celery
Air potato
Saltbush
Turkish rocket - bunias
Hester
Mar 21, 2012 Hester rated it really liked it
The second section of this book, species profiles, is very useful. After reading it, my husband and I planted ostrich fern and Solomon's seal, both decorative, edible, native plants. Score.
This introduced me to all sorts of plants I had never heard of, and made me think of others in new ways. Another winner from Chelsea Green. I think I am going to buy this.
Anna
Jan 30, 2011 Anna rated it it was amazing
The first third of the book is just basic information, but the rest is wonderful profiles on other 100 perennial vegetables that you'll see mentioned in passing in lots of books. This is the book to turn to for more information. Read some highlights of Perennial Vegetables on my blog.
Apr 04, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who want to grow a vegetable garden
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was informative, and easy to read and understand. I don't know anything about gardening but I found the book simple enough that it was not confusing, but at the same time it gave a lot of great info on veggies I now want to try and grow.
I loved that the book was clearly labeled and that each veggie had a picture to go along with it.
Amy
Nov 13, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
Detailed and well organized.
A fair amount of the plants profiled here can only be grown as perennials in the southern US, but there is a good variety of plants for northern areas as well.
I appreciated the discussion of the issue of exotic invasives.
I'll refer to this again as I develop the garden at my new home.
Megan
Feb 18, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: garden-books
This is a well researched guide to growing perennial vegetables. It's really interesting how just how many things that will grow perennially here in the United States can be eaten. Very interesting book! If you are thinking of expanding your food growing means this book is an excellent reference.
Joy Lanzendorfer
Jan 06, 2011 Joy Lanzendorfer rated it liked it
I don't know about this book. Aside from the vegetables you already know about--asparagus, sweet potatoes, et. al--most of the plants he mentions are tropical or invasive. I did learn about a plant or two, but still, I guess there is a reason most people don't plant perennial vegetables.
Randall
Apr 02, 2015 Randall rated it it was amazing
I really like the book. I find that I can easily follow Eric's writing style and, thus, am much more able to understand his message. I really like to grow my own food and this book gives me many more species to try out in my own yard and on my own plate.
Jeffrey
May 16, 2011 Jeffrey rated it liked it
Shelves: home, sustainability
This is a great collection of perennial vegetables. Most of them are tropical or subtropical, so they want lots of rich, moist soil. Not great for southern California, but even here I found half a dozen that will make good editions to the garden.
Jenn S
Jul 12, 2013 Jenn S rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
Was great to open my mind about what other things I can grow that are like the annuals I value but are perennial and will grow on their own fairly well in my climate. Probably not a book that I would buy but definitely worth checking out.
Feb 01, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
I mostly skimmed this looking for things I could use in my garden. Maybe it's because I was skimming, but I didn't feel like it had a lot to offer my region. Still fun to think about landscaping in new ways.
Jan 29, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
A really interesting list of vegetables, many of which do not grow in my climate and also will want more water than is native. But has useful information that will help me in designing a food forest.
Adam Graffunder
Dec 12, 2010 Adam Graffunder rated it really liked it
The many tropical vegetables that aren't growable around here makes the book a little bittersweet, but I definitely learned some new vegetables that can be grown here.
Drew Shifley
Aug 04, 2013 Drew Shifley rated it really liked it
Good book about a perennial alternatives to growing vegetables. Perennial vegetables, besides asparagus have been long been neglected in our gardens.
Kami
Oct 25, 2008 Kami marked it as to-read
I am only a couple pages in and I can tell I'm going to WORSHIP this book!!! I will definitly have to grow some of these next year.
Timnah
This was an interesting read (I finally learned what Good King Henry is), but most of these plants are perennial only in zones 8 and 9.
Karen
Aug 26, 2013 Karen rated it it was ok
Skimmed it mostly... Many strange plants with unheard of edibles. No one would even know how to use them in recipes.
Jo Calabrese
Feb 07, 2014 Jo Calabrese rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Lots of information on a range of perennial veggies. What a great resource!

Phil
Oct 17, 2013 Phil rated it really liked it
Great ideas. I need to find a way to taste some of these exotic veggies.
Courtney
May 19, 2010 Courtney rated it really liked it
Great information. Interesting plants. Too bad no recipes on how to cook them.
Felicia
Mar 03, 2010 Felicia rated it really liked it
Good book, but watch out as some of the plants he suggests are invasive.
Patricia
Sep 01, 2010 Patricia marked it as to-read
Good guide to vegetables you don't have to keep planting every year.
Joshua
Aug 09, 2009 Joshua added it
Shelves: hippie, pennsylvania
A good sourcebook for forest gardening in North America.
Owen
Jan 05, 2014 Owen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: farm-and-food
This is an awesome reference book.
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1: Ecological Vision and Theory for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Introduction to Permaculture
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
  • The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Permaculture: Principles & Pathways Beyond Sustainability
  • Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long
  • How to Grow More Vegetables: And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine
  • Forest Gardening: Cultivating an Edible Landscape
  • Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands (Vol. 1): Guiding Principles to Welcome Rain into Your Life And Landscape
  • Earth User's Guide to Permaculture