Israel-A Spiritual Travel Guide: A Companion for the Modern Jewish Pilgrim

Israel-A Spiritual Travel Guide: A Companion for the Modern Jewish Pilgrim

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Helps today's pilgrim tap into the deep spiritual meaning of the ancient -- and modern -- sites of the Holy Land. Covers twenty-five major tourist destinations, arranged by geographic region.
Published May 1st 1998 by Jewish Lights Publishing (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Israel-A Spiritual Travel Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Israel-A Spiritual Travel Guide

Rebecca
A nice balance for the very secular trip I took. As the author writes, your tour guides will cover way more history than you ever wanted, and this book will help you think about the holiness of the land.

I didn't at all use this book as instructed, there was just no way I could have dragged the book out to read from on site even if I'd wanted to, but I'm glad I brought it along. Even with our ridiculous schedule it was easy to find a few minutes for the 1-2 page readings about each place. I was...more
Jonathan
An excellent way to prep for a great trip to Israel - more than a guide book!
David
This book is not a guide to Israel--it is a spiritual companion for someone who is touring the country, as a pilgrim. Various locations in Israel are briefly described, followed by some ancient and/or modern spiritual texts. My favorite text was the modern poem "Tourists" by Yehuda Amichai. Touring the country is always fascinating--this book can give your experience a much deeper meaning.

Diana
This book is coming along with me on my trip to Israel. I have found it very helpful to focus my thoughts about the experience I will be having.
Sean MacKenzie
Sean MacKenzie marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
John Ranson
John Ranson marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Steve Lancman
Steve Lancman marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2012
Jeff Levy
Jeff Levy is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2012
Lauren
Lauren added it
Sep 10, 2008
My People's Prayer Book: The Amidah My People's Prayer Book, Vol. 1: TraditionalPrayers, Modern Commentaries--The Sh'ma and Its Blessings The Way Into Jewish Prayer One Hundred Great Jewish Books: Three Millennia of Jewish Conversation My People's Prayer Book: Shabbat at Home