Leviathan

Leviathan

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A silent ode of a graphic novel about a whale as grandiose as the creature, with texts from famous works. Must be seen!
Published April 1st 2004 by Nantier Beall Minoustchine Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Leviathan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leviathan

Troy
This might be a 5-star book, but I feel weird giving yet another comic 5 stars. Especially since I've been giving so many 5-star and 4-star ratings to comics, yet regular novels have been getting 3 and 4-stars from me, even books from amazing writers.

But I'm not sure what Leviathan is. I mean, it IS a comic, but it's an allegorical comic that is deeply elliptical. It's nearly wordless, punctuated with intertitle pages with quotes from Moby Dick and The Book of Job and The Rime of the Ancient Ma...more
Sparrow
this is a big comic book, hardly a "graphic novel" -- by anyone's standards. It's an essay, maybe, it has no words, except parenthetically, between the sections. And most of these are taken from Melville, and translated into three languages: German, French, Japanese. Harder has real ambition, to discuss the "whaleness " of whales, through all of history, in a simultaneous story. It's a bold plan, and just by attempting it, he achieves more than most comic artists ever will.
Whatsupchuck
A "silent" comic. Beautifully illustrated. Passages of ancient writings making mention of 'Leviathan' are interspersed throughout the book.
Garrett Dunnington
The monster is a witness to every catastrophe; does nothing and yet propagates the war at the same time. This was a great book.
Joe
BEautifully done, and interestingly executed vis a vis without words, but I can't say i really "got it".
Robin
My, how this makes me long to finish Moby Dick some day!
5cld
5cld added it
Aug 02, 2014
Kaleb
Kaleb marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Gexaedron
Gexaedron marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Linus
Linus marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Natalia Moreno
Natalia Moreno marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2013
Stüffs
Stüffs marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2013
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2013
Zdichuu
Zdichuu marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2013
Spencer
Spencer marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2013
Nadine
Nadine marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
ALPHA…Directions (French Edition) BETA…civilisations volume 1 Nobrow 1: Gods & Monsters Cargo: Comic Journalism, Israel - Germany