Start by marking “How I Fell in Love and Learned to Shoot Free Throws” as Want to Read:
How I Fell in Love and Learned to Shoot Free Throws

How I Fell in Love and Learned to Shoot Free Throws

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Danny "the Bruiser" Henderson has a plan. He's going to hustle cool, beautiful Angel McPherson, the best female player in the state of Iowa, on the basketball court. But he has no idea that she is hiding a shocking family secret. And what about Danny's own secret? Both Angel and Danny have a lot to learn about trust--and love--on the court and off. John Ripslinger tells th ...more
Published March 24th 2003 by Roaring Brook Press

Be the first to ask a question about How I Fell in Love and Learned to Shoot Free Throws

Jane
A young adult novel from a fellow Iowan, with local (to those in the Quad Cities) references that perked me up.
The "issue" in this one is that the main character, son of the football coach but lover of basketball, falls for a dynamite member of the girl's basketball team. She runs hot and cold for him, but agrees to teach him how to improve his crummy free throw style. So that's not really the "issue."
It seems her mom is a lesbian who lives with her third lover now, and each time people find o
Mark Lichtenfeld
Sure, the book is 10 years old, but there's not much boy-oriented YA out there. I like the way the story moves and Jon keeps the plot interesting, while resorting to less sex and drinking than I've seen in most girl-oriented YA. There's a nice social hook, too, and I wanted to finish the book in one day, which I pretty much did. A very nice story. Mark Lichtenfeld---Author of LINE CHANGE.
Kelsey
I liked this book, but with the reservation that at one point it skips forward from the end of one page to the beginning of the next in a conversation. You get the distinct impression that a huge chunk was taken out with little effort to conceal it. That being said, it is a very sweet athletes story and an endearing read.
Susan
I really liked this book. I read it a few years ago out of pure boredom and I couldn't put it down. Everywhere i went i was reading that book. Even in classes I was reading it. And man where my teachers mad at me.
Jess Schira
Light, quick read with interesting characters. It's a bit different from the other Ripslinger book's I've read, but quite enjoyable. It dealt with some important social issues.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Nov 07, 2009 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as decided-not-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-ya
Saw this at a library book sale, thought it might be interesting ... but it's not really grabbing me.
Tas
I love this book i really love basketball too so it just added amd their is a SHOCKING secret.
Chloe
Chloe added it
Aug 29, 2015
Bria
Bria marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Daniel Van Blair
Daniel Van Blair marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Shnazzy Shay
Shnazzy Shay marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Leah
Leah added it
Mar 03, 2015
Rhonda Bryant
Rhonda Bryant marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Kaitlynn Rose
Kaitlynn Rose marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Stephen Johnson
Stephen Johnson marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Bouskiegirl
Bouskiegirl marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Alexandra Vallebo
Alexandra Vallebo marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Bruce
Bruce added it
Jan 27, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Mélina
Mélina marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Hmm... 1 7 Mar 23, 2009 09:38AM
After Jon Ripslinger retired as a public high school English teacher, he began a career as an author. He has published many young adult novels and truly enjoys writing books for teens. He has also published numerous short stories in Woman’s World magazine.

Jon and his wife, Colette, live in Iowa. They are the proud parents of six children, and they have thirteen grandchildren and three great-grandc
More about Jon Ripslinger...
Last Kiss Derailed The Weight of Guilt Missing Pieces Triangle