Start by marking “Some of My Best Friends are White: Subversive Thoughts from an Urban Zulu Warrior” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  136 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Some of my best friends are white is a collection of sharp, satirical essays on contemporary South African issues from the point of view of a successful corporate professional - who just happens to be Zulu. Crossing various controversial, amusing and downright confusing racial divides, the title delivers a healthy dose of black - and white - humour as it explores some of t ...more
Published 2011 by TWO DOGS (first published August 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Some of My Best Friends are White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some of My Best Friends are White

Simphiwe
Aug 18, 2014 Simphiwe rated it it was amazing
This book has to be the most consistent book, I've read thus far. Every chapter was impeccable and accurate. It forces us laugh at ourselves and learn from the reflections that Ndumiso Ngcobo provides flawlessly.

I was actually in a taxi when I read the part about a taxi driver who got beat at a traffic light, I was in tears in the front seat when the driver asked me what I was laughing at. I couldn't not read it to him eventually I found myself reading the book out loud to the entire taxi and e
Renate
Nov 27, 2011 Renate rated it liked it
Ngcobo was stuck in a job, which he didn't consider a "real job":- he managed people with real jobs and reported on what they did (ha! there he had my attention!). What he really wanted to do was: "... to sit in a room and have people ask me my opinion on anything and everything.". This book was the result of that ambition.

The original title for this book was meant to be Just Talking Shit to the Animals. A title I would have considered to be more accurate. But then, it probably would not have ca
Diane Brown
Dec 09, 2013 Diane Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: african-books
This is a great book from South Africa. It takes a comedic and sometimes serious look at live in South Africa. It is like reading a stand-up comedy. I really enjoyed the first three quarters of the book, the other quarter not so much - perhaps because the first part of the book was so good. The author takes a stab at Zulu culture, black women, whites in South Africa, democracy and the habits of the taxi. I laughed so much my stomach hurt!
I was irritated by this current trend of very young South
Babalwa
Feb 23, 2014 Babalwa rated it liked it
Collection of extremely funny stories. You have experienced some of his stories. Not too crazy about it but its something new and different from the usual.
Tyler Mills
Feb 24, 2015 Tyler Mills rated it really liked it
Puts everything in a funny perspective. Some things were shocking most were just witty and awesome. told well, using short stories.
Namanyana
Jan 09, 2015 Namanyana rated it liked it
Great book. The way Ngcobo depicts the things that annoy us as South Africans, makes one appreciate the country more.
Siyanda Kave
Jul 18, 2014 Siyanda Kave rated it it was amazing
My favorite author, great book and an easy read...
Nicole Albao
May 01, 2016 Nicole Albao rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. I recommend this book to all humans.
Clive Walker
Fantastic - Ndumiso Ngcobo is the real deal! Whatever the real deal is, he is it! Snapshots of life in South Africa written by a Black man in articulate, elegant, insightful prose that will have you laughing out loud. I never suspected I'd get such comical insights into something as mundane as a taxi ride. Really, truly, this is a book you won't stop quoting to your friends, foes and hapless strangers. Buy it, don't buy it ... it's no dahl off my breyani larney!
Jo
Aug 15, 2010 Jo rated it it was amazing
This book is best understood by those familiar with South Africa, but its message is universal. It is hilarious and clever and amusing. It answers all of those perky little questions about race and friendships and the world and yet it is a light read. It is as applicable to the U.S. as it is to South Africa, I think and to many other countries as well. Either way, it is a fantastic read. You leave this book a better person than when you began it.
Phumlani
Aug 07, 2013 Phumlani rated it it was amazing
This is the epitome of tongue in cheek. Ndumiso is fearless, tackles what you would normlly shelf as mundane issues in a way that makes you sit up and pay attention the way you would a matter of national importance. I love this book, my only advice to nyone that hasnt read it is, dont read it in public when youre alone,it will have you laughing out aloud like a raving lunatic,take this from a man who knows.
Zookey .
Nov 17, 2010 Zookey . rated it liked it
I found this book absolutely hilarious and tongue and cheek. Ndumiso tackles the things us South African black's would never dare tackle, yet he does so in such a way that we are able to laugh at ourselves and accept ourselves: nuances and all. Ndumiso himself is just af funny in person. I now enjoy reading his Sunday Times articles.
Diane V-R
Dec 10, 2010 Diane V-R rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
I don't think many sacred cows were left untouched in this book! It was great being able to laugh at this very talented South African writer's observations of our society.

Overall a casual, exceptionally funny and irreverent read. I will be tracking down Mr. Ngcobo's follow-up book...
TheAuntie

pap et circenses

gustosissimo, divertente e decisamente non limitato limitato alla sola razza di bingo bonghi, anzi adattabile interamente e perfettametne anche a quella dei bingo bianghi!!

Khat Fish
Oct 26, 2010 Khat Fish rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
I probably wouldn't have read it if it weren't for book club, and I think it would read better in smaller chunks i.e. one essay at a time with another book in between. I found the writing style to become a bit much towards the end.
Helen
Mar 17, 2011 Helen rated it liked it
Shelves: southafrican
An irreverent and funny read. The tone started irritating me towards the end - when does something cross the line from politically incorrect to racist/sexist? As the book wore on it seemed to be moving across that line.
Taina
Oct 02, 2008 Taina rated it liked it
Recommends it for: South Africans who can laugh at themselves
Funny!
A must read for anyone living in South Africa. Some of the chapters seem a little contrived, but hey, at least everyone is being equally made fun of.
Leonor
Mar 17, 2009 Leonor rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All South Africans
One of the funniest books I have read in a long time. I loved the sarcastic tongue in cheek humour. Sadly it lost momentum towards the end .
Goretti
Jun 13, 2016 Goretti rated it really liked it
enjoyed Ngobo's brutally honest and frank snapshots of typical seuth efricen characters...witty and clever at the same time!
Loyiso Lindani
Dec 06, 2012 Loyiso Lindani rated it it was amazing
Witty, funny, truthful look at SA society ....through the black man with white friends' eye :)
Kelly
Jun 04, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Hysterical! It's the South African version of "Stuff White People Like"
Sediqa
Aug 25, 2008 Sediqa rated it liked it
Quick and easy read. You might get just a little annoyed near the end though.
Bongani Mdaki
May 10, 2014 Bongani Mdaki rated it it was amazing
Quite a hilarious read. I wish to drink a beer with Ndumiso one day.
Siki Dlanga
Apr 24, 2008 Siki Dlanga rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Siki by: Sisikelelwe Tshofela
brilliant, HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!every South African MUST read.
Xai-lee Pitso
Jun 06, 2011 Xai-lee Pitso rated it really liked it
Brilliantly executed and incredibily humorous. It's a killer!
Akhona Mashaya
Jun 20, 2012 Akhona Mashaya rated it really liked it
absolutely funny. an easy read that touches on life in South Africa.
Charlayne
May 23, 2010 Charlayne rated it it was amazing
So hilarious! Touching and insightful, yet crude.
Brigid Primrose
Mar 11, 2009 Brigid Primrose rated it it was amazing
One of the funniest books I have read in a long time.
Lonwabo
hilarious. cover to cover sarcasm.
Sisikelelwe Tshofela