Some of My Best Friends are White: Subversive Thoughts from an Urban Zulu Warrior

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Some of my best friends are white is a collection of sharp, satirical essays on contemporary South African issues from the point of view of a successful corporate professional - who just happens to be Zulu. Crossing various controversial, amusing and downright confusing racial divides, the title delivers a healthy dose of black - and white - humour as it explores some of t...more
Published 2011 by TWO DOGS (first published August 31st 2007)

Renate
Ngcobo was stuck in a job, which he didn't consider a "real job":- he managed people with real jobs and reported on what they did (ha! there he had my attention!). What he really wanted to do was: "... to sit in a room and have people ask me my opinion on anything and everything.". This book was the result of that ambition.

The original title for this book was meant to be Just Talking Shit to the Animals. A title I would have considered to be more accurate. But then, it probably would not have ca...more
Diane Brown
This is a great book from South Africa. It takes a comedic and sometimes serious look at live in South Africa. It is like reading a stand-up comedy. I really enjoyed the first three quarters of the book, the other quarter not so much - perhaps because the first part of the book was so good. The author takes a stab at Zulu culture, black women, whites in South Africa, democracy and the habits of the taxi. I laughed so much my stomach hurt!
I was irritated by this current trend of very young South...more
Babalwa
Collection of extremely funny stories. You have experienced some of his stories. Not too crazy about it but its something new and different from the usual.
Siyanda Kave
My favorite author, great book and an easy read...
Clive Walker
Fantastic - Ndumiso Ngcobo is the real deal! Whatever the real deal is, he is it! Snapshots of life in South Africa written by a Black man in articulate, elegant, insightful prose that will have you laughing out loud. I never suspected I'd get such comical insights into something as mundane as a taxi ride. Really, truly, this is a book you won't stop quoting to your friends, foes and hapless strangers. Buy it, don't buy it ... it's no dahl off my breyani larney!
Jo
This book is best understood by those familiar with South Africa, but its message is universal. It is hilarious and clever and amusing. It answers all of those perky little questions about race and friendships and the world and yet it is a light read. It is as applicable to the U.S. as it is to South Africa, I think and to many other countries as well. Either way, it is a fantastic read. You leave this book a better person than when you began it.
Phumlani
This is the epitome of tongue in cheek. Ndumiso is fearless, tackles what you would normlly shelf as mundane issues in a way that makes you sit up and pay attention the way you would a matter of national importance. I love this book, my only advice to nyone that hasnt read it is, dont read it in public when youre alone,it will have you laughing out aloud like a raving lunatic,take this from a man who knows.
Zookey .
I found this book absolutely hilarious and tongue and cheek. Ndumiso tackles the things us South African black's would never dare tackle, yet he does so in such a way that we are able to laugh at ourselves and accept ourselves: nuances and all. Ndumiso himself is just af funny in person. I now enjoy reading his Sunday Times articles.
Diane V-R
I don't think many sacred cows were left untouched in this book! It was great being able to laugh at this very talented South African writer's observations of our society.

Overall a casual, exceptionally funny and irreverent read. I will be tracking down Mr. Ngcobo's follow-up book...
TheAuntie

pap et circenses

gustosissimo, divertente e decisamente non limitato limitato alla sola razza di bingo bonghi, anzi adattabile interamente e perfettametne anche a quella dei bingo bianghi!!

Khat Fish
I probably wouldn't have read it if it weren't for book club, and I think it would read better in smaller chunks i.e. one essay at a time with another book in between. I found the writing style to become a bit much towards the end.
Helen
An irreverent and funny read. The tone started irritating me towards the end - when does something cross the line from politically incorrect to racist/sexist? As the book wore on it seemed to be moving across that line.
Taina
Oct 02, 2008 Taina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: South Africans who can laugh at themselves
Funny!
A must read for anyone living in South Africa. Some of the chapters seem a little contrived, but hey, at least everyone is being equally made fun of.
Leonor
Mar 17, 2009 Leonor rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All South Africans
One of the funniest books I have read in a long time. I loved the sarcastic tongue in cheek humour. Sadly it lost momentum towards the end .
Goretti
enjoyed Ngobo's brutally honest and frank snapshots of typical seuth efricen characters...witty and clever at the same time!
Loyiso Lindani
Witty, funny, truthful look at SA society ....through the black man with white friends' eye :)
Kelly
Hysterical! It's the South African version of "Stuff White People Like"
Sediqa
Quick and easy read. You might get just a little annoyed near the end though.
Bongani Mdaki
Quite a hilarious read. I wish to drink a beer with Ndumiso one day.
Siki Dlanga
Apr 24, 2008 Siki Dlanga rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Siki by: Sisikelelwe Tshofela
brilliant, HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!every South African MUST read.
Xai-lee Pitso
Brilliantly executed and incredibily humorous. It's a killer!
Akhona Mashaya
absolutely funny. an easy read that touches on life in South Africa.
Charlayne
So hilarious! Touching and insightful, yet crude.
Brigid Primrose
One of the funniest books I have read in a long time.
Lonwabo
hilarious. cover to cover sarcasm.
Sisikelelwe Tshofela