Start by marking “Mauprat” as Want to Read:
Mauprat

Mauprat

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Mauprat (1837) is the romantic tale of a "wild" man civilized by the woman he loves. Deeply engaged with Rousseau's pedagogical treatise Emile, and with contemporary debate concerning inherited and acquired traits and tendencies, Mauprat is an expression of Sand's utopian vision of a relationship governed by free choice and equality.
Published April 16th 1998 by Oxford University Press (first published 1837)

To ask other readers questions about Mauprat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mauprat

Jim
Although it is much less popular today and is now confined more to genre fiction, melodrama is still a major literary form today. George Sand (real name: Amandine Lucile Aurore Dupin) was not only one of the great writers of the nineteenth century but perhaps one of the high water marks of melodrama.

Mauprat tells the tale of Bernard Mauprat, a scion of a family of French brigands, called the "hamstringer Mauprats," who saves and falls in love with his second cousin Edmée, who comes from a more
Shari
Reading an author for the first time, whose works are now very much considered classic, can often be daunting. It’s not only that you feel obliged to like or praise his/her work (because it’s a classic), but you also feel wary about your reception, if not understanding, of the author’s narrative style in spite of the numerous reviews, studies and recommendations. Mauprat is my first Sand and so I bore these feelings when I tackled this book. Would she read like Jane Austen? Guy de Maupassant? Wi ...more
najla
georges sands pulls out my thirteen year old self who didn't know how to talk to anyone and frequently fell down because of trying to walk while reading. i devour her like caramel corn. some have jane, i have george.
Helynne
Emily
This is a complex novel, looking at themes of love & education & idealism as represented in the relationship between a young man and a young woman, set against the backdrop of 1770s France on the brink of revolution.

It starts a little slowly, which is so absolutely not the fashion in these days of hit-the-ground-running storytelling, but! I absolutely encourage you to persevere, if you choose to read this novel! It is extremely readable and charming.

The broad gist of the story is as foll
Esteban Gordon
After reading Black City, I wasn't sure Sand was my cup of tea (apart from the obvious political sympathies), but this was a very good read. Though Bernard's "love spewing" at times grew a little repetitive and unnecessary, the characters of Patience and Marcasse added much to the enjoyment of the novel.
Sugar
One unique book and romantic love story, placed in the heart of Revolutionary France. The events happen with so many interesting obstacles, so much passionate love, which leads the reader to the deep forests of reasons and soul. This book totally deserves to be read, also will be in my memory.
Annie
I often find references to George Sand in other books I'm reading. It seems to be a sort of short-hand to describe a sort of character, like saying that someone is reading Radcliffe. If this is the case, the authors seems to be suggesting that the characters has an extremely high tolerance for boring books, and I think I do have a pretty high tolerance for boring books, but this book was too much for me.

Part of my frustration was Bernard's adolescent obsession for his second cousin, and the cou
Lora Grigorova
Mauprat: http://readwithstyle.wordpress.com/20...

Remember the children’s fairytale about beauty and the beast: a beautiful lady falls in love with a man despite his terrible and scary appearance and his evil character. With her love, compassion, and understanding, she manages to transform him into a loving and caring individual and as a bonus he turns into a beautiful husband.

There is a reason this plot found itself expressed in a children’s fairytale. It is far too naive and simplistic, yet it
Hélène Robitaille
un peu trop mélodramatique à mon goût (mon dieu...) "ahhh, je vous aimes trooop que je vous tuerrrais...!!!!!". mais à part ça sa va (ouais, sauf que bien maigre est l'histoire si on l'ampute des moments d'amour torturé en faisant taire les amoureux au supplice...). heureusement, on a échappé à la catastrophe du saint ascète guide spirituel étoupeur de fantaisie et de liberté d'esprit (dieu est si bon, nous devrions tous imiter l'ascète, il est si pieux), ouf! mais bon, George Sand, ce n'est pas ...more
Arlene
Wasn't sure about this one at first. I put it on my kindle because I had seen references to George Sand in other books I have recently read. This is a genre that I don't have a lot of experience with, pre-revolution French literature. The further I read, the more I appreciated this book. This is more about philosophy and world view and changing more's than it is about plot. It is about enlightenment, both personal and in a larger social context. Themes of feminism, feudalism, revolution, and hum ...more
T.
This is the first George Sand novel I have read. Written in the mid-1800s, it suffers from the wordiness common to much of the writing of this period. While the story is a good one, compared to "Beauty and the Beast," it takes to long to tell it.
Tom
Finished this book yesterday on the train. A decent book, albeit a little too melodramatic in some places, mainly the scenes between Bernard and Edmee. George Sand had some really god ideas concerning how women were thought of in 1837, why the Revolution had to take place, and how two different people could live together. A really interesting read.
Stacey
I'm not enjoying this book very much. I got a lot out of the introductory material, but after launching into the novel, I'm finding I have to force myself to read it. My guess is that I'll return this book to the library without finishing it. What is bothering me about the book is that Sand tells us what she wants us to know instead of showing us.
Ionut Jder
It is a romantic drama based on the power of love to change the destiny of a man who has the bad luck to be born in a family as the Mauprats. The story keeps you hooked form beginning to end and only sets you free after the whole drama unveils.
I recommend it warmly.
Joshua
This book ranks up with the best I have ever read. I couldn't put it down, filled with life, love, and redemption. The characters are so alive, they resonate, represent us. Read this book, you will not be disappointed.
One of my top three favorites. The best love story ever.
Lauren
A book to really think about.
Phillip R. Hughes
Phillip R. Hughes marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Katelyn Shaver
Katelyn Shaver marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Eline Matthysen
Eline Matthysen marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Friday Sunday Grimm
Friday Sunday Grimm marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Fedelm
Fedelm marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Valerie Richardson
Valerie Richardson is currently reading it
Nov 16, 2014
Crissy
Crissy marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Brooklyn
Brooklyn marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Gabrielle
Gabrielle is currently reading it
Nov 05, 2014
Stephanny
Stephanny marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
  • Béatrix
  • Winter of Artifice
  • Moderato cantabile
  • Jennie Gerhardt
  • The Torture Garden (New Traveller's Companion)
Amantine Aurore Lucile Dupin, later Baroness (French:baronne) Dudevant (1 July 1804 – 8 June 1876), best known by her pseudonym George Sand (French pronunciation: [ʒɔʁʒ sɑ̃d]), was a French novelist. She is considered by some a feminist although she refused to join this movement. She is regarded as the first French female novelist to gain a major reputation.

Sand's reputation came into question whe
More about George Sand...
La Petite Fadette La mare au diable Indiana Consuelo Story of My Life: The Autobiography of George Sand (Suny Series, Women Writers in Translation)

“We cannot tear out a single page of our life, but we can throw the whole book in the fire.” 398 likes
“She discovered that a great deal of the suffering in this world is due not so much to original sin, but to a kind of original stupidity, an unimaginative, stubborn stupidity.” 1 likes