Start by marking “Darkness, Tell Us” as Want to Read:
Darkness, Tell Us

Darkness, Tell Us

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  2,294 Ratings  ·  116 Reviews
It started as a game. Six college kids at a party. Then someone suggested they try the Ouija board. The board that Corie had hidden in the back of her closet and sworn never to touch again. Not after what happened last time. Not after Jake's death...

They were only playing around, but the Ouija board worked all right. Maybe too well. A spirit who called himself Butler began
Mass Market Paperback, 392 pages
Published March 1st 2003 by Leisure Books (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness, Tell Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness, Tell Us

Gary
Jan 16, 2014 Gary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was amazing. It is everything I love about Laymon. Yes, the dialogue can get clunky. Yes, you have seen scenes like this before. But no one tells a story like this like Laymon does. He is an absolute master at controlling the pace of the story. He increases the speed mercilessly as the novel nears the end.
Predictable is irrelevant in Laymon's hands, and I didn't find the novel entirely predictable by any means. He knows when to reveal details of the plot and when to keep the reader gu
Andy
Jan 17, 2014 Andy rated it really liked it
Classic Laymon. (yes) Memorable and quirky characters on a (yes yes yes) zany adventure. I was somewhat (yes yes) dissatisfied with the ending. One too many coincidences for my liking. (yes yes yes)
Adam Light
Dec 08, 2012 Adam Light rated it it was amazing
Great Laymon! Technically proficient and well told. I love it when a Laymon story works this well.
Ellen Gail
Nov 01, 2016 Ellen Gail rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, to-review
Three stars. Really strange, but undoubtedly entertaining. Review to come!
Chris
Oct 02, 2010 Chris rated it did not like it
I'm shocked I even finished ths book. Almost as much that it was pubilshed in the first place. Unconvincing to say the least. Not a believable character(much less likable) in the whole novel. Filled with gaping plot holes. Seems like it was written by a horny virgin obsessed with the word "rump". I literally exclaimed "What the fuck" aloud after he used it for perhaps the 70th time.
Glenn Rolfe
Feb 03, 2017 Glenn Rolfe rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperback-lbhc
Another Laymon book, another story of madmen doing horrible things to people obsessed with sex...
This one had me really engaged for the first three quarters, it got a bit silly and redundant toward the back end and brought together all the people you were expecting. So, not much for surprise, but it was classic Laymon.
I couldn't set this book down in the first days I started. I love when that happens.

For that, I give DARKNESS, TELL US 4 stars!
Andrew Lennon
Jun 17, 2015 Andrew Lennon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great read. This book had me gripped from the very beginning. Who doesn't like a creepy story with a ouija board? But this was more than just a ghost story, it had a pretty epic game of cat and mouse and the brutal back story really made you feel for the characters.
Great story, definitely check it out.
Nate
Mar 03, 2016 Nate rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Was this an incrediable ouija board story? Not really. Was this an awesome Laymon novel that featured an ouija board? Absolutely! The ouija parts were creepy and cool, but were pretty minor in the story overall. Still a cool Laymon novel, and I really liked the ending.
Benjamin Thomas
Mar 09, 2015 Benjamin Thomas rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I always like to compare Richard Laymon novels with watching a train wreck. It's not necessarily something you want to see but it's hard to look away.

This one was fairly typical of his books: lots of teenage-style titillating sexual innuendos and teasing among a group of young people; bad guys that are just about as clichéd as you can find; and lots of delaying tactics so that the narrative leads you down a path that could have been reached in about half the number of pages. The plot this time c
Matt
Apr 02, 2012 Matt rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Laymon isn’t known for being able to write believable stories. However, even as one accustomed to his style, this is probably one of the most ridiculous books I’ve read in a while. ridiculous events/conversations keep occurring again and again. Does a woman REALLY lose her husband, have a thing for his brother, lose contact with her brother for several years, and then when they finally see each other again, they proclaim their love for each other, have sex, and feel no remorse about it? Hell, no ...more
Michael
Ich möchte der gütigen Vorsehung danken, dass ich "nur" die gekürzte Hörbuchfassung gekauft habe, aber dann fällt mir ein, dass der Dank recht eigentlich Audible geschuldet ist, da keine ungekürzte Fassung angeboten wird. Schließlich verschiebt sich die Perspektive ein letztes Mal und angedenk der sieben Stunden Laufzeit überlege ich, Audible zu verklagen oder alternativ zumindest mein Abo zu kündigen.

DER GEIST ist mein erstes Buch von Laymon und das zweite Desaster nach McFadyens BLUTLINIE. Wie
Andrew Huff
Mar 10, 2013 Andrew Huff rated it did not like it
This is really a terrible book.

I was looking for a horror/thriller that had a Ouija board for a plot device and this was recommended to me. Sadly, while this had a Ouija board in it, there was not much else for me to like about it. I will say this before I get into why this was just awful: the author does a decent job with dialogue, even if some of the slang seems more suited to the 1960s than the 1990s.

So, what's wrong with the book? Imagine a ghost story being told by a horny 15 year-old male
Keith Chawgo
Jun 28, 2012 Keith Chawgo rated it did not like it
Darkness, Tell Us is one of those books that have more false endings than a Bergman film and yet when it finally finishes, there is nothing that really makes it memorable or makes you care about none of the characters.

The action sequences are bland and it seems all the energy was put into the sex sequences which flow quite well. When the horror of the situation does come to fruitition, you find yourself wanting to hurry up and finish as you just want to move to the next book on your list.

The st
Nick
Feb 20, 2017 Nick rated it really liked it
A fun Laymony Laymon tale!
Adamus
Jul 25, 2015 Adamus rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This was a pretty good read. I was a little iffy at first because I heard a lot of people give it bad reviews, but I thought it wasn't bad. The characters were great, the storyline was better than I thought it would be, there were a lot of funny moments & the ending wasn't what I thought it would be completely but it was ok. The only thing I didn't like was the last like 100 pages you kinda just knew what was happening & had a feeling of the people at the ending, but other than that I th ...more
Sara
Mar 21, 2013 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Loved it couldn't say a bad word about it :)
Kristen
Apr 25, 2008 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
It’s the end of the summer semester and you’re at your professor’s house for a party, so the six of you whip our her Ouija board (much to her dismay) and begin chatting with a spirit that tells you to tromp off into the mountains in search of “loot.” What do you do? Well since you’re a bunch of horny college students of course you listen to the ghost and go racing off into the wilderness to hunt for the treasure. And when your professor learns what you’ve done what does she do? Why she takes her ...more
The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft
Review of DARKNESS, TELL US
by Richard Laymon

Where do I start to rave over this novel? My heart stayed in my throat the entire time, and no distractions could sway me from my reading. Laymon takes characters who on the surface seem to be ordinary: one college professor, six of her students—and what he construct from this simple stew is an amazing terror, joy, love, hope, human persistence, narrative. Drop all the “camping in the wilderness” horror tropes, because what Richard Laymon introduces re
Pierre
Run of the mill Laymon.
The focus is really on the relationship between the characters, two in particular, Howard and Angelo. Howard does some hormonal teen growing up in the book. Laymon is equal to himself in the pacing and keeping up the interest.
The denouement is very rapid however and concentrated in the last 10% of the book, which made it feel accessory to the relationships in the book.
Victoria
May 11, 2010 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Richard Laymon is such a great writer! This book literally raised the hair on the back of my neck for nearly the entire story! It was creepy, fun and very exciting! His writing really sucks you into the story, making the unbelievable utterly believable. It is a great, summery (the perfect book for a camping trip, haha!) fun. It’s fast-paced and one of Laymon’s better books!
Vicki Willis
Jan 01, 2015 Vicki Willis rated it really liked it
This was a good book about a group of college kids who end up on a camping trip based on what a Ouija board told them. The Ouija board is such a scary thing in general and this book had me hooked in right away. There was lots of tension and it kept me on the edge of my seat. A great read!
Sierra W.
Apr 08, 2013 Sierra W. rated it it was ok
This may be one of the most ridiculous books I have ever read, but I couldn't put it down. =\
Paul Kohn
Jan 26, 2017 Paul Kohn rated it it was ok
It had its good moments, but overall, this is a very disjointed story which does not flow well and leaves many loose ends unfinished.

I should have stuck with my gut feel and not read this...
Ryan G
Jun 16, 2013 Ryan G rated it did not like it
Every once in a great while, I get into a mood where I want to delve into the darker side of life. Normally that requires me to watch a few of my favorite horror movies, but occasionally nothing will scratch that itch quite like a good horror novel. And I must put the emphasis on good, because sadly, most horror novels suck. They play with cliches and tend to be the most formulaic of all genre fiction. There are exceptions to that rule, and when a horror novel is great, it's a treat to get lost ...more
Todd Western-Normanton
Darkness Tells Us by Richard Laymon is a very unique story of horror, terror and supernatural delight. The plot revolves around the consequences endured by a group of friends due to their decision to play with a Ouija Board. The group summons a spirit known as 'BUTLER', who promises them an unknown treasure awaiting them in a mountainous area. As the story progresses a large number of thrills, scares, sexual relations, horrific events, twists and shocking reveals take place. I was really impress ...more
Rei
Sep 01, 2012 Rei rated it liked it
A fan of Laymon in general, but not one of my favorites. I didn't like any of the characters particularly and the only decent part about the book really was the twist with who Butler was, but again; even THAT wasn't amazing.

The bad guys were mediocre; the usual shotgun-swinging madmen in Laymon novels and for some reason (either that I can't remember or I honestly don't think they went into) a crazy mountain-dwelling nutcase who runs around in skimpy underwear trying to kidnap the girls. <_&l
Addy
Jan 07, 2013 Addy rated it liked it
This book was well put together. You could tell by the ending, that laymon knew how it would end. It was clever, surprising at times, and entertaining. This book had alot of dialogue, but I didn't mind. It allowed me to know the characters and like them. There was also alot of build-up that didn't explode until the very end. That would be my only complaint. The mystery of it all was exciting and the Ouija board parts were definitely my favorite. Not one of his better books IMO, but well worth th ...more
Erica
Jul 01, 2014 Erica rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Usually not my cup of tea, but my boyfriends favorite author and the second Laymon book I've read, behind 'Endless Night'. This book was more suspenseful yet slightly terrifying in my eyes as opposed to the all out terror of some other horror novels. Great read, and still had an offbeat happy ending.
Robjr73
Jan 13, 2016 Robjr73 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: richard-laymon
This one was a bit of a bore-fest. Cool set up in the beginning. Then theres about 200 pages of meaningless dialogue and nothing really happens. But if you survive through that muck you get rewarded with a nice little ending. I'd pass though on this one if I were you unless you're a huge fan like myself and won't rest until every Laymon book has been read...
Orion
Mar 02, 2014 Orion rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Another author to add to my fav list. A well done story with nice twists. Not always predictable events. Read it cover to cover in one sitting. Couldn't put it down.
paced reading hor...: Darkness, Tell Us, by Richard Laymon 44 11 Jan 16, 2015 08:45AM
  • Triage
  • Queen of Blood (House of Blood, #2)
  • Ghost Walk
  • House Infernal (City Infernal, #3)
  • The Policy
  • In This Skin
  • The Hour Before Dark
  • The Shrine
Richard Laymon was born in Chicago and grew up in California. He earned a BA in English Literature from Willamette University, Oregon and an MA from Loyola University, Los Angeles. He worked as a schoolteacher, a librarian, and a report writer for a law firm, and was the author of more than thirty acclaimed novels.

He also published more than sixty short stories in magazines such as Ellery Queen,
More about Richard Laymon...

“That sounds cool,” Chad said.” 0 likes