Start by marking “In the Dark” as Want to Read:
In the Dark

In the Dark

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  2,579 ratings  ·  111 reviews
Nothing much happens to Jane Kerry, a young librarian. Then one day Jane finds an envelope containing a fifty-dollar bill and a note instructing her to "Look homeward, angel." Jane pulls a copy of the Thomas Wolfe novel of that title off the shelf and finds a second envelope. This one contains a hundred-dollar bill and another clue. Both are signed, "MOG (Master of Games). ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Leisure Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about In the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Dark

Kristen
So you’re a loner type who has let your figure go a bit flabby while you work at the local library. Suddenly one day you find an envelope with your name on it sitting on your chair. You open it to find a clue, much like a scavenger hunt and a fifty dollar bill. What do you do? Why you develop a penchant for culottes, stick a malfunctioning switchblade in the breast pocket of your blouse and start hunting for the next clue… of course you need to find a token hot guy that can actually answer all o ...more
Katie
Bullshit!....bullshit. I'm not even going to finish this book. I'm to chapter 18 and I'm just done. And personally I'm pretty pissed off at this book because it started off so awesome! I couldn't put it down. The characters were extremely likeable, it was funny yet thrilling at the same time, then it just got stupid. Or rather the main character just got stupid, completely brain dead more like.
Anyone who has read this please tell me one good reason why, after what happened in the graveyard woul
Katy
I just LOVED this Laymon book - I couldn't put it down! It was, let's be honest, extremely disturbing, and as with many of his other books I at times questioned my psychological state for enjoying it, but his writing style was so sublime and this story such a unique idea (at least I've never seen anything else like it before or since) that I couldn't help but be impressed by the sheer audacity of it - I can't really outline it without creating spoilers, but trust me -if you are a horror fan, you ...more
Kevin Groosalugg
I don't know how to feel about this book. It's my first Richard Laymon novel, and I wonder how he's written 30 books before this and still manages to write like an amateur. It's like a college professor told him to be more descriptive so he decided to rehash the same descriptions of mundane objects over and over again and triple the size of the book. The plot is pretty straightforward: A woman finds an envelope with a note sending her on a quest, when she completes the quest she gets money and a ...more
Chris
Laymon does it again! I almost don't want to read any other books these days because of how bland they seem in light of a Laymon novel. He simply knows how to build suspense, create interesting characters, and throw in elements of total surprise.

As the plot unfolds you may find yourself disbelieving some of the character's actions, but just hang in there. The ending, as usual, is priceless!

This was one of Laymon's thicker books that you can tell he took a little more time writing than usual. The
Hatchetgabby
Fantastic if it's not my favorite Laymon book it's deffinately in the top two,only con is i wish he'd given a little more background info on the villan.
Tanja Berg
Dowdy librarian Jane receives an envelope with her name on it, containing 50 dollars and note with instructions. The note is signed "MOG" - master of games. The first few things Jane has to do are easy enough, but the game soon turns more sinister. The reward increases steeply. Soon dowdy-Jane is a trim, sleek, single-minded woman.

The premise is interesting enough. Particularly when Jane is still trying to figure out the note of where she is to turn up next time. However, when the stakes are ra
Dora
Young librarian Jane finds a note addressed to her on her chair at work one night. Inside? A fifty dollar bill and the promise of more if she follows the clues. What starts out as a scavenger hunt turns into a deadly test of wills and morals as Jane finds herself doing more dangerous (and depraved) things for the promise of bigger and bigger payouts. This, then, is "The Dark", another in the long series of completely ridiculous horror novels from inexplicably popular author Richard Laymon.

Mind y
Rei
Own it, love it, read it loads. It does its job, it's full of suspense and excellence and has his trademark writing style on it. As an amateur author myself, Richard Laymon was my first inspiration into the world of writing and I will always hold his work in high esteem. Laymon happens to be my favorite author of all time and I have yet to discover a book by him that I REALLY can't stand.

In the Dark, read whilst I was in France and I just randomly plucked it off the bookshelf, I'm glad I did. I
Butterblume
Eines Tages erhält die junge Bibliothekarin Jane einen Fünfzig-Dollar-Schein und die Aufforderung, sich an einem ominösen „Spiel“ zu beteiligen: Wenn sie jeweils mitternachts eine bestimmte Aufgabe löst, dann verdoppelt sich ihre Belohnung. Sie macht mit. Die ersten Aufgaben sind noch leicht, doch sie werden härter – bis es kein Zurück mehr gibt: Das „Spiel“ artet zu reinstem Terror aus ....
Ich habe dieses Buch an einem Aben durchgelesen ich konnte es nicht mehr aus der Hand legen,es war spannen
William M.
I read this in 3 days and it was hard to put down each night. What a great hook! I can honestly say I had a smile on my face for most of the book... it's that much fun. Granted, it might offend a lot of people with it's graphic descriptions and adult scenes, but if it's horror you want, it's horror you will get. Laymon doesn't ramble on and on like Stephen King. He gets right to the point and brings on the violence and suspense.
Mylene
My favorite Laymon book. This was the story that got me into Laymon in the first place. No one writes like him and I'm so sorry I have read almost all his published works! If you haven't read Laymon before, start with this novel. It is great fun... Mystery, adventure,thriller, romance, and good, gory, weird horror! You won't be able to put the book down. Enjoy!!!!!
BecksBookPicks
Jane is the main character in this book. She is a librarian and on day she find an envelope on her chair. She open the envelope to find $50 and a letter from Master of the Game, AKA, MOG. In the envelope she gets a clue as the where to find the next envelope is. Upon finding the next one, she gets her money doubled. At this point, she is hooked. Who wouldn't be, if all they had to do was follow the clue and your money gets doubled. However, each clue brings her to more and more dangerous situati ...more
Jeremy
Oct 29, 2007 Jeremy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: King & Koontz fans
This was literally one of those books I couldn't put down. This was my first time reading Richard Laymon and I was pleasantly surprised. There wasn't really anything groundbreaking or outstanding with "In The Dark", but he DID manage to keep the suspense pretty solid throughout.

I particularly enjoyed the way he made the protagonist "psych" herself out. The way he did it upped the "creepy" factor by making the reader aware of all kinds of dark possibilities.

My only complaint is the ending...And w
♥ Marlene♥
Finished this book last night. Wow what a difference with the last book I read. This one I could not stop reading and it kept me thinking about it even when I could not read.

My dad gave me about 5 books by Richard Laymon. This is the first book I have read by him and I loved it. So original. I love the toughness, the gore, the sex. lol. Okay sometimes the story was a a bit like "A girl would never do that, but all in all I really loved reading it.

I picked this book because it had the best revie
Justin
Okay, so while this isn't exactly high art, it's extremely entertaining. Full of violence, gore, sexploitation. It's just the kind of thrilling schlock I look forward to when reading Laymon. This isn't for the faint of heart, and for the person expecting rational thinking. The characters often do stupid things, that lead them into very bad situations, but the situations are so breath taking it doesn't matter. You'll be ripping through the pages and before you know it the book is over. I highly r ...more
Jenny Lane
Lisa Finley
I struggled with the first half of this novel. I felt no connection to the main character, Jane. She was one dimensional and her over-the-top impulsiveness irritated me. The pace at times felt too fast. Jane went from meek, scared of her shadow librarian to someone willing to make the first move with Brace only a few hours after meeting him. The transition between the end of the chapter in which Brace makes her leave the abandoned mortuary and the next chapter was too abrupt. I thought I'd dozed ...more
Ansel
This is the first book of Laymon's that I have read. The story itself was great, and it kept me turning the pages long past my bedtime. My only gripe with this novel Is the over descriptiveness of it. Laymon goes into way too much detail at least twice per chapter. For one example, the main character is taking a shower. Laymon literally wrote an entire paragraph just describing her bending over, picking up a bottle of shampoo with her right hand, standing up straight again, uncapping the bottle, ...more
Dave
A librarian living a mundane life finds an envelope addressed to her. After opening it, she finds herself drawn into a game. What ensues is that someone unbeknownst to her rewards her monetarily if she follows the cryptic instructions to a "T." Early on it's seemingly innocuous- fun and games- yet as she continues to receives additional envelopes, the stakes get higher. Eventually the librarian- Jane - realizes that she is being manipulated by an affluent sociopath. Laymon usually injects his n ...more
Schneeweißchen
Dies war mein erstes Buch von Laymon und es wird mein letztes bleiben. Noch nie habe ich mich so geärgert, weiter gelesen zu haben, obwohl ich von Anfang an gedacht habe, dass alles irgendwie hinten und vorne nicht stimmig ist. Eine Protagonistin, die sich für Geld in die unmöglichsten gefährlichen Situationen begibt. Diese Situationen sind - zugegeben - allesamt sehr spannend und darum konnte ich das Buch auch nicht einfach weglegen, obwohl sich mir bei dem unrealistischen Verhalten Janes die Z ...more
Heike Herrmann
Kurzbeschreibung:

Meine Meinung:

Als begeisterter Laymon-Leser, wollte ich mich auch endlich seinem "Spiel"
Julie Powell
For me, this story started as a four star in that it was quite slow and the character, Jane, came across as very selfish and greedy...and naive. She was rather annoying at first but as the tale progressed, she grew and we understood her motives, her hurt and her fragility.

The plot was good, and the writing too improved as the story progressed. Yes, I know it was fiction and horror, but sometimes it was so unrealistic it was annoying - cringing, even.

Having said that, by about halfway through,
Erica
I don't know what to think about this book.

Don't get me wrong, I like my erotica. I don't mind erotica in non erotica books. But there is a time and place for it. In this book, it seemed to be placed in there just to be there. It didn't flow with the book at all.

The characters were very likable and you did have moments of doubt and worry. The story moved at a very good pace. The order of stone of the tasks was a little odd to me.

Having seen the movie 13 Sins, this was very tame. I can understand
Eric Greenfield
This was a real page turner and my first Laymon book. While the characters made choices and had attitudes about their situation I felt were unrealistic, Dark was great pulp fiction horror and fun to read. Great escapist fun.
Erin
I hated and despised the first and only book I've read by Laymon The Island. I couldn't remember why this was on my TBR list, but then I realized it involves a person involving a young librarian in a very twisted, but financially lucrative, game - I'm a sucker for any books involving games, scavenger hunts and puzzles so I decided to give Laymon one more try.

The book was 3.5 stars, primarily because it was quite a page turner and the game was delightfully devious and fairly clever. My problem wi
Jonathan Reitan
A fantastically horrific thriller from the late Richard Laymon. IN THE DARK reads as if Robert Bloch (PSYCHO) was writing in the splatterpunk horror days of the 80's and 90's.
Sara
Loved this book it caused a lot of late nights as I couldn't put it down :)
Bob Vincent
You have to suspend logic and belief, and then enter this book as though it were a graphic novel onscreen, like Sin City or 300, but once there, one heck of a fun ride from go to done. Larger than life adventures by larger than life characters abound in this perfect summer read escape from reality. It's hard to reconcile the character description of the author (as stated in the book's foreword by Dean Koontz) with the tale as told, but it sure give the reader respect for his profound imagination ...more
Jared
Yeah, five stars. I don't know what's wrong with me, but five stars.
Here's the thing. I'm eighteen years old. I've only read one other Laymon book besides this one, and I've noticed a common link between that one and this one: you don't read them to be delighted, or to root for the many intelligent characters, or to marvel at the author's ability to toe the line of decency. You read them to be horrified, to be frequently reminded of the characters' humanity, and to gasp in horror time and time a
  • Dark Mountain
  • Triage
  • House of Blood
  • Castaways (Leisure Fiction)
  • Dominion
  • The Black Train
  • Survivor
  • Ghosts
  • Live Girls
  • Mirror
Richard Laymon was born in Chicago and grew up in California. He earned a BA in English Literature from Willamette University, Oregon and an MA from Loyola University, Los Angeles. He worked as a schoolteacher, a librarian, and a report writer for a law firm, and was the author of more than thirty acclaimed novels.

He also published more than sixty short stories in magazines such as Ellery Queen,
More about Richard Laymon...
The Traveling Vampire Show The Cellar Island Endless Night The Beast House