Start by marking “Biscuit” as Want to Read:
Biscuit

Biscuit (World of Biscuit Beginning Reader)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,209 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
Woof! Woof!

It's time for bed, but Biscuit wants to have a snack, and play, and hear stories. Will he ever go to sleep?

My First Reading Level. Or (My First I Can Read Book)
Paperback, I Can Read Book, 26 pages
Published January 24th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Biscuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biscuit

Gela
Author: Alyssa Satin Capucilli
Illustrator:
Genre: Online book
Theme(s): Persistence, caring for animals
Opening line/sentence: This is biscuit.
Brief Book Summary: This book is about a dog named Biscuit whose owner is trying to get him to fall asleep. Every time they try to get him to fall asleep he wants something else. Eventually his owner lets him cuddle in her blanket and Biscuit falls asleep.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Judy Katsch (Children’s Literature)
Part of a beg
Kendall Lentine
Oct 01, 2015 Kendall Lentine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eng-261, k-4
This endearing and precious book offers as a great tool to utilize as a book a student can read completely by themselves, acting as a confident booster! The story is of a puppy named Biscuit and refers to getting read for bed. The little girl in the book repeats the phrase, "Time for Bed, Biscuit!" but the puppy asks for something different on each page, for example, a snack, drink, or his blanket. The genre of this book is k-4 and I would strongly recommend this for a Kindergarten/ 1st grade. T ...more
Madelyn Skopak
Mar 01, 2015 Madelyn Skopak rated it really liked it
Biscuit is a book about a dog named biscuit who needs to go to bed. Biscuit is very hesitant to do this because he has a list of things he wants to do instead of going to bed. This list includes: eating, drinking, snuggling, hugging, kissing, being tucked in and then he wants to do all of these things again. Biscuit's owner does all of these things for her dog but Biscuit is still not satisfied, mainly because he is feeling playful and does not want to go to bed. After the little girl goes to be ...more
Kristen Rigau
Feb 13, 2015 Kristen Rigau rated it really liked it
The children's book, Biscuit, written by Alyssa Capucilli, is one clearly written for a younger age child. From the front cover, you can tell it is a very basic, simple but fun, loving book. Many children are interested and amazed by animals especially dogs.They feel a sense of comfort and love when seeing one, as they might have their own and be very familiar with them. The book Biscuit is about a "small, yellow" puppy named Biscuit. A little girl, his owner, tells him that it is time for bed, ...more
Itzel
Sep 24, 2014 Itzel rated it liked it
In the book Biscuit by Alyssa Satin, it tells a story about a puppy and going to sleep. It is not any ordinary bedtime story where the puppy goes to sleep right away. There are complications that come up when the puppy’s owner is trying to set the puppy to bed. He not ready for his bedtime and seems to fight it. He comes up with different things to get out of his bed. Finally the girl leaves him alone and he goes after her. He bothers her and she doesn’t pay attention and falls asleep. Sooner or ...more
Meg McGregor
Aug 16, 2015 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing
The one that started it all! (And still my personal favorite, of the entire series!!)

This is the first in a series about a little yellow retriever named Biscuit.

In this book he doesn't want to go to bed and wants another hug, kiss, drink of water, bedtime story, etc.

Your little ones will easily be able to identify with Biscuit as they surely don't want to go to bed either.

I have been reading this series of books to over 15 different little ones in my care and I still enjoy reading them every t
Vanessa Gomez RDG
Apr 28, 2016 Vanessa Gomez RDG rated it really liked it
This book starts off with introducing who Biscuit is and describes what he looks like. Biscuit is a puppy who does not want to go to bed. He takes his owner through a process of things to do before he is put to bed. At the end of the story, Biscuit falls asleep next to his owner's bed.

I feel that this book is a predictable pattern language and easy to read book. It is a predictable pattern language book since most of the words in the story are repeated. This makes the book very easy to read for
Casey Brock
Nov 10, 2009 Casey Brock rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-to-read
Reading level: K-1

Schories pictures are very detailed as the little extra hairs stand up on the back of the puppies body. Also, the colors are very realistic and appear just like they likely would in real life. The lines are very curved, and the shading further enhances the realistic pictures. Capucilli's text is very large and would easy to read for readers that are just starting out, but are ready for some bigger words and more pages. Each page has two or three lines. The sentences are broken
Amy Holliday
May 14, 2008 Amy Holliday rated it liked it
Comments on the Story:
The story is appealing to young children who may have this book read to them because they can likely identify with not wanting to go to bed right away, needing another drink. The fact that this dog acts similarly like the do sometimes will probably make them laugh and really enjoy the story. Moreover, the repetition of “woof, woof” is fun for young children they will come to expect that and want to imitate the dog’s sounds as well. This story is also appropriate for older c
Samantha
I remember when I was a small child that I owned all of Biscuit books. I loved to death and kept them all until I was old enough to read more advanced books. Still, these books were probably my most favorite as a very young child. And I have to admit, I'd probably still look back at them like I would with Corduroy, even at the age I am now because of the impact they had on my life when I was younger. I would definitely read these to young children as well.
Christina Swain
Sep 05, 2014 Christina Swain rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent first read book for kids who are not yet in Elementary School. This tells the story about a young pup named Biscuit. Biscuit, like most dogs today, is a very busy and energetic puppy who does not want to go to sleep. Instead, he wants to stay up and hear stories and have snacks. I would use this book to help my students look for different items and objects found within the story.
Tamara Stallins
Oct 27, 2015 Tamara Stallins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-reader
The book is easy to read for first readers. The sentences in the book are very simple, but it is a cute story about a puppy who just really wants to cuddle with his owner at night to sleep. The illustrations are very simple but they enhance the story. I read it, and it reminded of me of my dog. I would recommend this book for first graders to read to help start out reading on their own.
Kandice Buck
Nov 02, 2015 Kandice Buck rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
Biscuit is a puppy who has to get ready for bed. He does not want to go to bed so he tries to think of anything that will help him stay up longer. He asks for a hug, to be tucked in, the be cuddled, to have the light turned off and more. This is a great book for children to read when they are beginner readers. It is a story that will keep their attention with playful illustrations.
Elizabeth Houchen
Jan 22, 2015 Elizabeth Houchen rated it it was amazing
In this story, Biscuit is going to bed. Biscuit had a hard time going to sleep because he wanted a kiss,hug,food, and a drink. He seems to be fighting sleep and when his owner turns the light off he gets up and says he wanted to be tucked in. Then he goes to his owners room for a hug and another kiss and falls asleep at the end of her bed.
Danelle Spicer
This is a great book for beginning readers. The book is repetitive and allows the child to predict what will happen next in the story so that they are able to read along with you. Also allows children to see the work it takes to take care of a puppy and the attention that they require.
Sarah Adamson
This is a gentle early reader book about Biscuit getting ready for bed.
It is slightly ironic for parents - biscuit requires a lot of attention on the way to bed.
Fun, easy words. We listened to the audio cd and I appreciated it putting the turn the page version on first!
jacky
Nov 18, 2014 jacky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lib-lew, early-reader
I see a lot more Biscuit in my future. Biscuit might be to William what Pinkalicious and Fancy Nancy are to Natalie. Of course, the text isn't as complicated, but he sure loved it. Its exciting to think that Natalie might be able to read it to him in six months or so.
Libby
Jul 27, 2011 Libby added it
This was a very cute book about a puppy and how he wanted to do a few things before he went to bed. Buscuit wanted to play so his little girl that owns him played with him. She read him a story while he sat in his dog basket, the little girl got him a few dog treats because he wanted a snack. She got him a drink of water in his water bowl because he was very thirsty. At the end of the story the little girl gives in and lets Biscuit sleep in his basket and she covers him up with her coverlet and ...more
Brittany Perry
Mar 07, 2013 Brittany Perry rated it really liked it
This book is great as an introduction to very young readers, myson was only six months old when he received his first Biscuit book (Pet and Play Easter). Ever since then, we have gathered as many of these books as we can get through ordering. My son is now 18 months old and enjoys the sounds that author Capucilli puts in all her books. It is a pleasure for my son to come wake me up holding a book and saying "Bis Book Mama, good!"
I am happy to read him a book he loves and can learn from. He even
Matt Vagts
Mar 23, 2016 Matt Vagts added it
Shelves: picture
Picture book #7
Biscuit is about a dog who is suppose to be going to bed but wants other things instead. It's a beginner book because almost all sentence structure is the same and some of the words are very repetitive.
Miri Mandel
Jul 22, 2014 Miri Mandel rated it it was amazing
It's not my favorite, Black Beauty is, but it's my second favorite book. It's such a good book. Because I love dogs and puppies and Biscuit is a puppy. I love Biscuit and it even tells you about Biscuit and I read it to my class.
Shelly
Mar 10, 2014 Shelly rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful series of children's books. My children loved them and read them until they were falling apart. Subsequently, we named our dog "Biscuit" because he looked like and acted like the Biscuit in the book series.
Margaret
We have fallen in love with Biscuit from the Chick-fil-a board book and now also the Kindle Fire book apps and so we are delighted to read more. Biscuit is the original little yellow puppy story I believe and it is the first one found in the Biscuit Storybook Collection.

Biscuit is a fun loveable book character that had jumped right in to my fiddler, almost preschoolers heart and imagination. while reading about this puppy that needs just one more thing before he goes to bed it is perfect as we
Elizabeth M
May 14, 2015 Elizabeth M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Biscuit

I think this is a good book for young readers.Plus it sounds like my great gran son,wanting his blankie,his stuffed animals.and another kiss or drink of water when it is time for bed.
Micah
Feb 02, 2015 Micah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The silly part about this book is that the girl said "bed time Bisquit" and Bisquit said, "Woof!" and wanted his doll. That was cute. I really liked it.

[reviewed by a 6 year old, typed by his mama]
Feb 07, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This is a great book for early readers! Claire loved reading this to me- she does just what Biscuit does- except the woods! Great read for her in kindergarten.
Ashlin
Apr 22, 2016 Ashlin added it
Shelves: beginning-books
This story is great for beginning readers. It is a short and fun story. You could use this book as an introduction to a lesson about night time routines.
Macy Morrison
Feb 12, 2014 Macy Morrison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs, friendship, animals
This is a cute book for young kids. The dog is adorable and the story line is predictable, but very engaging. It may leave kids begging for a puppy.
Heather Jo
Mar 01, 2016 Heather Jo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meggie-list
  • Fancy Nancy at the Museum
  • Mittens
  • Puppy Mudge Takes a Bath
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Clifford and the Halloween Parade
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Morris Goes to School
  • Footprints in the Snow (Hello Reader!, Level 1)
  • Hot Dog
  • Oliver
  • Dixie
Alyssa Satin Capucilli was born in Brooklyn, New York, in 1957. She graduated from Sarah Lawrence College, and pursued her interest in dance, becoming a professional dancer and dance instructor. Though Capucilli had written stories, poems, and even puppet shows as a child, she didn't consider a career as a writer until after her own two children were born. To this day she sees herself as both a da ...more
More about Alyssa Satin Capucilli...

World of Biscuit Beginning Reader (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Biscuit Finds a Friend