Biscuit

Biscuit (World of Biscuit Beginning Reader)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,841 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Woof! Woof!

It's time for bed, but Biscuit wants to have a snack, and play, and hear stories. Will he ever go to sleep?
Published January 24th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1996)

Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra DayFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellThe Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring Lowrey
Picture Books About Dogs
25th out of 205 books — 73 voters
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtFight Club by Chuck PalahniukInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerWe Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates
Best Books of 1996
152nd out of 218 books — 99 voters

More lists with this book...

Casey Brock
Reading level: K-1

Schories pictures are very detailed as the little extra hairs stand up on the back of the puppies body. Also, the colors are very realistic and appear just like they likely would in real life. The lines are very curved, and the shading further enhances the realistic pictures. Capucilli's text is very large and would easy to read for readers that are just starting out, but are ready for some bigger words and more pages. Each page has two or three lines. The sentences are broken...more
Amy Holliday
Comments on the Story:
The story is appealing to young children who may have this book read to them because they can likely identify with not wanting to go to bed right away, needing another drink. The fact that this dog acts similarly like the do sometimes will probably make them laugh and really enjoy the story. Moreover, the repetition of “woof, woof” is fun for young children they will come to expect that and want to imitate the dog’s sounds as well. This story is also appropriate for older c...more
Rosa Cline
The author does a wonderful job with this puppy. This is the first in the series and Biscuit is always doing something that will keep young listeners-readers wanting to know what! This story is about the little girl getting a puppy and trying to figure out what to name him. She tries everything and nothing 'fits' until the end and the puppy gets into the treat box and Biscuit finds his name! Easy, cute read!
Libby
Jul 27, 2011 Libby added it
This was a very cute book about a puppy and how he wanted to do a few things before he went to bed. Buscuit wanted to play so his little girl that owns him played with him. She read him a story while he sat in his dog basket, the little girl got him a few dog treats because he wanted a snack. She got him a drink of water in his water bowl because he was very thirsty. At the end of the story the little girl gives in and lets Biscuit sleep in his basket and she covers him up with her coverlet and...more
Brittany Perry
This book is great as an introduction to very young readers, myson was only six months old when he received his first Biscuit book (Pet and Play Easter). Ever since then, we have gathered as many of these books as we can get through ordering. My son is now 18 months old and enjoys the sounds that author Capucilli puts in all her books. It is a pleasure for my son to come wake me up holding a book and saying "Bis Book Mama, good!"
I am happy to read him a book he loves and can learn from. He even...more
Miri Mandel
It's not my favorite, Black Beauty is, but it's my second favorite book. It's such a good book. Because I love dogs and puppies and Biscuit is a puppy. I love Biscuit and it even tells you about Biscuit and I read it to my class.
Shelly
This is a delightful series of children's books. My children loved them and read them until they were falling apart. Subsequently, we named our dog "Biscuit" because he looked like and acted like the Biscuit in the book series.
Margaret
We have fallen in love with Biscuit from the Chick-fil-a board book and now also the Kindle Fire book apps and so we are delighted to read more. Biscuit is the original little yellow puppy story I believe and it is the first one found in the Biscuit Storybook Collection.

Biscuit is a fun loveable book character that had jumped right in to my fiddler, almost preschoolers heart and imagination. while reading about this puppy that needs just one more thing before he goes to bed it is perfect as we...more
Macy Morrison
This is a cute book for young kids. The dog is adorable and the story line is predictable, but very engaging. It may leave kids begging for a puppy.
Plainfield Public Library District
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Edward Creter
Pure woofy delight! Biscuit is a pup who can't seem to get it that he needs to get some sleep, and winds up in the little girl's bed to nap. Such a cute story! Biscuit is what we've waited to read to kids all along, and I hope those age 2-6 will love it.
Sarah Anderson
Great book for beginner readers. Check out all the other books about Biscuit and his adventures.
Connie
Very simple, very repetitive (This is Biscuit. Biscuit is small. Biscuit is yellow. Every page includes the word Biscuit, so you either memorize the spelling or the meaning, or both). Perfect for kids in either age range. The only problem with the repetitiveness is that, well, it is repetitive. And without a rhyme or rhythm to hold you through, you might get bored reading it. So I wouldn't advise buying it unless you know you can sit through reading it again and again (or think your kid won't wa...more
Douglas Cootey
Adorable story. Cute art. This one is still a favorite.
Jessica Herd
This is a book I would most likely only use in a kindergarten classroom because it is so easy to read. It is very cute but it probably wouldn't be a book I would read to the class. I would just have it on my shelves for the class to read during reading time.
I liked this book!
Alyssa Honeycutt
This is a book about a dog named Biscuit. In the story he has adventures that get solved in the end. in this story in particular Biscuit is put to bed but cannot fall asleep. His owner has to keep getting him and taking him back to his bed so they can both go to sleep. This book is in no way shape or form educational. It has no moral to the story or message to the reader just for fun reading. This pictures are detailed and appealing to the eye for adults and children.
Meg McGregor
This is the first in a series about a little yellow retriever named Biscuit. In this book he doesn't want to go to bed and wants another hug, kiss, drink of water, bedtime story, etc. Your little ones will easily be able to identify with Biscuit as they surely don't want to go to bed either.

I have been reading this series of books to over 15 different little ones in my care and I still enjoy reading them every time.

Read again on May 17, 2014.
Kelly Thevenot
Biscuit is just one of a beginning readers series of books. Buiscuit is a dog who always goes on adventures. This would be a wonderful book for students who are just starting to read. This particular story talks about a bedtime routine and how biscuit does not want to go to bed. This would be great for preshcoolers to teach them bed time routines and to have them tell me their routines for going to bed.
Mandy Hoffman
A fun story about a cute puppy makes your young reader want to read. Twenty-four pages with words repeated over and over help the young reader become familiar and confident while enjoying the process.

It is nice to find an early-reader that is fun to read and has a wholesome storyline. This would be a good book for a child to read aloud to siblings for practice and entertainment.
Modboy
Aug 18, 2010 Modboy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Modboy by: toddlers and early readers, especially if they like puppies
A very cute story about a puppy's many needs right before bedtime. Any parent can relate to the stalling routine children use to gain attention and affection. Often billed for early/easy readers, the writing is very simple and repetitive reminding me of the old Dick and Jane books. That being said the story itself seems to be geared towards toddlers.
The Biscuit series is another popular early reader--I would say it is probably one of the most popular very early reader series along with puppy mudge, because it has more appeal to the children reading it. Rather then just a book that is simple enough, and emphasizes the right content, this is also a book that kids want to read.
Lindsey Feldpausch
We love Biscuit! The text has a rhythmic cadence. There are just enough words on the pages. The illustrations are clear and not overdone/underdone. My daughter, Adria is almost 4 and loves reading this with me. It truly is perfect for what its category is designed to achieve; shared reading for preschooler and teacher. Excellent!
Carolyn Ferguson
This is a good book to build sight words and to create awareness of topics like following directions and being a good listener. However, this is not my favorite book. I could see having this book in a classroom for very young and struggling readers but it would not be the type of book that I could build an entire lesson on.
Charity
I loved watching my seven year old son read this to my 3 year old daughter. A book they can both enjoy together.
Courtney Turpen
This lively little puppy wants nothing but attention. He wants to play, eat, and get tucked in. By the end of the day all the small puppy wants to do is crawl into bed with the little girl. This simple book is easy to follow and good for young new readers. The realistic illustrations really bring this book to life.
Wooden Horse
I believe this is the first in a series of "My First Shared Reading" books about Biscuit. I read it to a three year old boy today and he enjoyed the repetiveness of the story and was able to help me guess what would come next based on the pictures and his own trials with going to bed each night.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
I love the "Biscuit" books. I love how the illustrations complement the text. When the text is very easy to accommodate early readers, as this is, it adds quite a bit if the pictures do some, or most, of the storytelling, as this one does. The story is sweet, and I love Biscuit's "Woof, Woof."
Maddie Smith
There aren't a lot of books in the reluctant reader category better than the original Biscuit book. This book is about a young pup who wants to play and do absolutely everything but sleep. I really think that children would find this book funny. This book is for preschool and early elementary.
  • Henry and Mudge in Puddle Trouble (Henry and Mudge, #2)
  • Fancy Nancy and the Boy from Paris
  • Morris the Moose
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • Pinkalicious: School Rules!
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Arthur's Reading Race
  • Fly High, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #5)
  • More Spaghetti, I Say! (Hello Reader, Level 2)
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Oliver
Alyssa Satin Capucilli was born in Brooklyn, New York, in 1957. She graduated from Sarah Lawrence College, and pursued her interest in dance, becoming a professional dancer and dance instructor. Though Capucilli had written stories, poems, and even puppet shows as a child, she didn't consider a career as a writer until after her own two children were born. To this day she sees herself as both a da...more
More about Alyssa Satin Capucilli...
Biscuit Goes to School Biscuit Finds a Friend Bathtime for Biscuit Biscuit and the Baby Biscuit Wants to Play