Start by marking “Some Things Are Better Left Unplugged” as Want to Read:
Some Things Are Better Left Unplugged

Some Things Are Better Left Unplugged

Take Alice in Wonderland, Dark City, and Pilgrim's Progress. Put them in a blender with a lot of dry ice. Mix and serve in a dirty, broken glass. And that's just the first chapter of Some Things Are Better Left Unplugged. This postmodern fable examines the need for myth, metaphor and identity. The story satirizes many of our everyday obsessions, including the pursuit of we ...more
Published December 1st 2001 by Eraserhead Press

Anthony Chavez
May 20, 2012 Anthony Chavez rated it did not like it
Shelves: bizarro
I read somewhere that this novella was a sort of "anti-novel," and if not liking it makes it an anti-novel this one wins. I wasn't that big of a fan of this authors style, Sakowski not only seems to leave a lot of stuff out but the plot didn't fully bloom either. Maybe that is what "anti-novel" means.

"Some Things Are Better Left Unplugged" is surreal if anything. Sakowski carefully keeps the reader at arms length, employing choppy sentences, bad grammar, and fragments, describing its scenery wi
Christy Stewart
A wonderful book. I always relate to insane homeless women so I was delighted this had one in it.
Emory
Nov 15, 2008 Emory rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bizarro-fiction
Many of the great stories that humans share with each other feature two entities in opposition to each other. Sometimes these entities are emotionless nations, sometimes equally indifferent businesses. The best of these, the tales that really draw you into their world, feature two people or people-like beings. Some Things Are Better Left Unplugged is one of these stories.

The Man and the Obese Tabby are nemesises, but their struggle is not one of swords, sorcery, or other fantastic methods. No,
Mark Jones
Oct 08, 2016 Mark Jones rated it it was ok
Shelves: bizarro, original
This book is what I'd like to consider a somewhat entertaining "nonsense allegory" -- a surreal story containing a lot of freely imagined scenarios and whacked-out characters but touched with a false air/suggestion of symbolism through its style of story-telling that gives it more sense of authorial deliberation than it deserves.

As the Goodreads description suggests, the narrative is kind-of sort-of similar to the Pilgrim's Progress allegorical style in the way that it never really gives hard na
Derek
May 26, 2012 Derek rated it it was amazing
Just to get this out of the way right now: I am in love with Vincent Sakowski’s Some Things Are Better Left Unplugged. I love the chopped, methodical pace of the text; I love the bizarre characters; I love that this relates to Donihe’s Shall We Gather At The Garden?; I love the anti-hero, mythological, hard-to-pin-down, Waiting For Godot-like story.

After reading other reviews of this work, it’s easy to understand why so many people either just don’t like it or just find it “so-so”. Yes, the stru
Denise
Feb 23, 2014 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: strange, fiction
Usually a 150 page book would take me about a day to read. I've had a lot of starts and stops with this particular book, been difficult to sink my teeth into. The imagery is peculiar and the story wanders, not in a bad way for what I assume the author is trying to accomplish. As far as bizarre fiction goes, not my favorite. Frankly, the back cover is some of the best writing.

Between the covers, really enjoyed One Hand Clap:

Go and sing for the birds and the trees,
Try and stop/start? another disea
Oct 09, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
UNPLUGGED has been billed as an anti-novel and believe me it delivers. Sure you've read plenty of books with anti-heroes but how about anti-villains of the polite and genteel variety? UNPLUGGED is an ambitious novel, dense with layers of meaning and rife with irony. Sakowski has a gift for illustrating the absurd.

Follow our "hero", The Man, as he makes his way through countless ridiculous and chilling situations. Picture a kingdom of marionettes ruled by an Emperor, a penguin of course. Meet hal
Alan
May 24, 2010 Alan rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Anyone who doesn't mind a wink to the reader every page or two.
Recommended to Alan by: Amanda
Eh... this one didn't grab me. A slim and self-conscious exercise in surrealism, Some Things Are Better Left Unplugged carefully keeps the reader at arms' length, using choppy sentences and sentence fragments, describing its scenery with studied detachment, and avoiding character names in favor of descriptions like "the man" and "the prophet" and "the obese tabby," all of which frequently reminded me that I was reading a Fiction.

There is narrative flow, and there are some interesting environment
Gregory Rothbard
Nov 04, 2014 Gregory Rothbard rated it really liked it
I absolutely love this story as it is surreal but its meaning is deeply felt probably differently each time.
Leah
May 12, 2012 Leah rated it did not like it
i just cannot finish this, no matter how hard i try. it is painful to me. and i'm sorry i have to admit it. i really wanted to like this. :(
Mike
Jun 21, 2013 Mike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
An ok story that is poking fun at our culture. Well written but not terribly exciting to read. I guess this just shows how much I'm a part of the culture being satired.
Andersen Prunty
Andersen Prunty rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2008
Phil Virga
Phil Virga rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Alex Whiteland
Alex Whiteland rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2014
Gergely
Gergely rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2011
Corey Kleypas
Corey Kleypas rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Nevin Davie
Nevin Davie rated it did not like it
Jan 08, 2015
Kurt
Kurt rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Jeffrey R. Brown
Jeffrey R. Brown rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2012
Jacob Sears
Jacob Sears rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2015
John Lawson
John Lawson rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2008
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2013
Shuanette Henry
Shuanette Henry rated it did not like it
Jun 13, 2015
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2014
michael donohue
michael donohue rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
May 30, 2010
Nefariousbig
Nefariousbig rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Bookfan92
Bookfan92 rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Ending: Game 1 1 Nov 10, 2014 07:19AM
  • Super Giant Monster Time! (Choose Your Own Mind-Fuck Fest #3)
  • Sky Tongues
  • Starfish Girl
  • The Bizarro Starter Kit (Orange)
  • Piecemeal June