Start by marking “Before and After Socrates” as Want to Read:
Before and After Socrates

Before and After Socrates

...a brilliant commentary on the Greek mind and its attitude to life.
Published November 30th 2009 by Cambridge University Press (first published January 3rd 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Before and After Socrates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before and After Socrates

Bruce
Nov 29, 2015 Bruce rated it it was amazing
A superb little history of philosophy through Aristotle; both succinct and profound. It is, of course, not comprehensive, but focuses on the development of the religious sensibility oriented around our inner nature in the face of the common-sensical mechanistic view of the universe of pre-Socratic thinkers. This is very relevant to the perennial tension between religion and science. Consider Cornford's comment on the mechanistic view of consciousness:

" . . . if I turn from the mechanical cause [
Alyssa
Apr 25, 2011 Alyssa rated it it was ok
i kind of like Cornford's style of writing. still and informative book on Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle though
Dave/Maggie Bean
Jul 29, 2011 Dave/Maggie Bean rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, philosophy
A lucid, eminently readable series of lectures on the Grand Old Man of Western philosophy.

A friend and I were chatting about Socrates at the bar a few nights ago, and we agreed that he was the greatest philosopher the West ever produced. (It was the only thing upon which we agreed all evening, incidentally. Put two Micks together in the same room, and you'll have three different opinions.) That's quite an admission, coming as it does from two recovering Randroids. I don't suppose it's overly su
Justin
Jul 26, 2016 Justin rated it liked it
A nice general account of why FMC studies the Ancients, and what he gets out of it. A memoir all who study the Ancients must in some sense complete. Reads as if a time capsule from the early days of 20th Century Ancient scholarship; shows the emergence of the humanities disconnected from the sciences. The interesting bit is his subtle take on the connection between Christian theology and Ancient theology. He comes off a bit fideistic, though this is tempered by rational understanding. The simple ...more
Erik Graff
Jan 25, 2011 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students of ancient Greek philosophy
Recommended to Erik by: Peter Maxwell
Shelves: philosophy
I read this book towards the end of Peter Maxwell's Loyola University Chicago course on ancient philosophy, a class cross-listed between his department, philosophy, and that of classical studies. It was a fair introduction to the topic, but nowhere as satisfactory as Gomperz' Greek Thinkers. The text, easily accessible and indexed, is based on four lectures delivered at Cambridge University during August of 1932.
Jenny Nguyen
I found the very first edition of this book in a second book store and I could not be happier with the quality of the hard-bound book. The book is interestingly easy to read, explaining how Socrates inspired Plato and then Aristotles and was inspired by philosophers before him. Both influences and diversification found in Plato and Aristotle have been set out very clearly than many other books on Ancient Greek Philosophy.
Thom
Mar 20, 2008 Thom rated it liked it
Recommends it for: nobody realy.
One of the few times I like to read to further myself in culture and such I picked this book up. It s an ok read. Nothing great, not bad by anymeans though.
Aziz
Oct 08, 2009 Aziz rated it liked it
A decent read into the history of ancient Philosophy. Nothing here that cannot be taken from others though.
stew
stew rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2008
Alex Johnston
Alex Johnston rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Sina
Sina rated it really liked it
May 14, 2015
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2015
Felipe
Felipe rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2014
Ash Ryan
Ash Ryan rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2008
Brent Berry
Brent Berry rated it really liked it
May 07, 2015
John Kennedy
John Kennedy rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2014
S. O'Brien
S. O'Brien rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Ashley Wright
Ashley Wright rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Patricia
Patricia rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2013
vittore paleni
vittore paleni rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Jazz
Jazz rated it really liked it
May 15, 2013
Oğul Tuna
Oğul Tuna rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2016
Pete
Pete rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2013
Henry Sturcke
Henry Sturcke rated it really liked it
May 23, 2015
Alexandre Schimel
Alexandre Schimel rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2012
Caner Ünal
Caner Ünal rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
Jack
Jack rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2011