Start by marking “No Sanctuary” as Want to Read:
No Sanctuary

No Sanctuary

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  849 ratings  ·  47 reviews
While hiking the trails around Fern Lake, a young couple has no idea how wild the wilderness really is. They soon find out when they discover they're sharing the woods with a serial killer who's hiding his next victim. Original.
Published July 1st 2003 by Leisure Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about No Sanctuary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Sanctuary

The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
212th out of 1,152 books — 3,445 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingDracula by Bram Stoker'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
The Definitive Horror Book List
283rd out of 754 books — 1,033 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristen
If you plan on reading this book, and you have never read a Laymon book before, please notice that there is generally heaps of gore, really stupid characters, and lots and lots of sex. His literary cannon is likened to the early 80's slasher films... and that's a pretty good comparison. But if most of his books are close to "Friday the 13th" or "Halloween" or even "Sleepaway Camp" this one would be a lot closer to you bargain bin find, you know the type... no one has ever heard of it, there's a...more
Janie Johnson
I gotta say this book was far tamer than any of his others, but you know what it really did not take away from the story at all, not for me anyway. And it totally changes my mind about ever wanting to hike or camp in the mountains. There was a lot of action in this book and I barely put it down and again was a very fluid book to read. This is why I love Laymon books.

Again I did not really connect to the characters but he built some very strong women in this tale. They seemed to be the ones that...more
Reese Copeland
This was a really great book. There were times where it seemed to drag on and I'd put it down for a few days, or a week. BUt the more I read, the less slow it got. It really picked up and had Laymon's signature gore and sex. I thought it had great character development and one of the best and most shocking endings I've read yet in a Laymon book. I would absolutely recommend it to others. I would love to see this book as a movie someday, but I fear Hollywood is only interested in creating ANOTHER...more
Daniel Pyle
Definitely not Laymon's best work. This one was published the same year he died, and I wonder if maybe he never got the chance to do a final draft. Some of the subplots seem sketched out, unfinished, and sometimes totally unnecessary to the plot, and the whole thing just doesn't feel as refined as his normal work.

On top of that, the Kindle conversion of this book is HORRIBLE. Probably the worst I've ever seen. It's obvious someone did an OCR scan of a hard copy and published the book without eve...more
Michael
I have read a lot of Laymon and this is one of my favorite novels simply because it proves that Laymon can write a book without relying on the usual amounts of sex and gore. You either like Richard Laymon or you don't. There is no middle ground.

This is a Laymon novel so of course it has that b-movie feel to it but that certainly isn't a bad thing. I loved the slow pacing as well as the fact that it felt as if you were getting two separate stories. Laymon is able to keep both plots strong and a...more
Wayne Simmons
Another good read from Laymon.

In terms of plot, NO SANCTUARY follows the adventures of Gillian, a beautiful young girl with a fetish for breaking into strangers' houses, and troubled couple Rick & Bert on their uneasy hiking trip. Both stories develop all on their own, only coming together at the end of the novel.

NS is a slasher-style romp in the woods with lots of sex, violence and gore, all delivered in Laymon's definitively kooky (and sometimes goofy) style. The story felt a little bloa...more
Adam Light
This was not the best Laymon novel. I picked this one up at my library for fifty cents, so it was well worth the price... but it was a disappointment for me. I've read quite a few of his works, and this one was the first that just bored me to tears. I think that it's because I've read some of his best ones already. I've seen other reviewers point out this one was released the year Laymon died, and perhaps it was not a final draft. I could believe that. It didn't feel complete. Regardless, I woul...more
Jenn
Very simplistic horror novel that lacks the usual dimensions - gore and graphic sex antics. I found this one to be fairly tame fir the horror genre and not much like how I remembered Richard Laymon's other books. It still moved fairly quickly and maintained my interest. It doesn't surprise me who lived at the end however I did assume that Holden was Jerry in disguise. I was glad to see I was wring about that plot theory, especially since there appeared to be nothing that pointed to that conclusi...more
Sara
Characters were good and plot was good I couldn't fault it :)
Sara
Was the crazy preacher story line even slightly necessary?
John Bruni
Another impressive book from Richard Laymon. To be honest, I had no idea how he'd tie this one up. There is a lot of build-up in this book, and I didn't really know where he was heading with it. There are two main stories here. The first involves Rick and Bert, a loving couple on a hiking trip, where they run into all sorts of problems, like, for example, a crazy preacher bent on feeding sinners to cougars. And then there's Gillian, who likes to break into people's houses when they're on vacatio...more
Lindsay
Tara Calaby
When you pick up a Richard Laymon book, you can expect his female characters to be dealt with in certain ways. Their bodies will definitely be described in copious detail and it's likely they'll be raped or almost raped before the book is done. It's uncomfortable, but he wrote such fantastic trashy horror that one can get past it.

This offering felt more uncomfortable than many of Laymon's other books, however. There was a strong focus on sexual violence throughout, whereas usually that is somet...more
Andre Higgins
This one started out pretty well, but it took forever to climax. Once again, Laymon waits until the very end of the book to wrap things up in less than fifty pages. Quite disappointing.
There are also many unrelated events that seem to be there just to fill out pages. I have no idea why Laymon introduced the crazy preacher character in the middle of the story, he had no influence on anything in the story. And the three "thugateers" were overly exploited for absolutely nothing.
Also, having read ma...more
Caroline
I was a big fan of Richard Laymon back in the 90's. Then I discovered other authors and forgot about Laymon.
After 20 years I decided 2 revisit Laymon territory. "No Sanctuary" is somewhat tamer than earlier books but the psychos, violence, helpless damsels and sex galore are still there. Not sure Laymon is my cup of tea anymore but I'm glad I read this.
Geoff
One reads Laymon for the same reasons one watches "Jerry Springer": entertaining for all the wrong reasons. This is the 5th Laymon book I have read and I must say by far the weakest. I absolutely adored "Island" and "Travelling Vampire Show" but "No Sanctuary" left me wondering why he even bothered to write this. Of the 333 pages, 330 of them were...meh. The remaining 3 pages...pure Laymon gold; hence the second star.
chucklesthescot
Rick had a traumatic experience the last time he went camping but he decides to overcome his fear because his girlfriend Bert loves it. So they head off into the great outdoors unaware that perverts and serial killers have chosen the same destination.

I found the panic and paranoia in poor Rick as the trip progressed to be part of what made this a tense and interesting book. The side story of Gillian, who breaks into houses to live in them while the owners are on holiday gets interesting when the...more
Michael Hermann
Interesting little read, I thought I had the story figured out, but the ending through me for a loop. This is good little story that will keep you guess until the end.
Micky Parise
Another good book from Richard Laymon. Great characters, plot and writing. Recommend highly.
Gabe Erwin
It was a good book. I like the way Laymon writes as it's easy to read. I never got bored but at times I wished for something to happen. Reminded me of a horror movie... Good premise but at the end left me wanting a little more
Logan Kitchens
Great book the only reason it is marked down is because when i bought it i didn't know there were two novellas that ended together in it not one whole novel witch i was looking for (they don't advertise that in description) but it kept me reading and was fairly quick paced, i have to tell you its not for the faint hearted if you don't like being scared don't read it he is very gory and sexual in his novels and this is no exception, i have to admit one of the story-lines was boring at times but o...more
Julissa
This book kept me guessing how the two story lines would fit together. It was a good story but the lack of editing kept me from truly enjoying it. Some examples of horrible editing: "doser" instead of closer, "comer" instead of corner. Every single time these words are used they are misspelled. Then there were words like cold, spelled co!d. Or hell spelled he/l. There where also words like "s6!k" I gave up trying to figure out what they meant. 4 stars for the story, 1 star for editing.
(This revi...more
Mii
This book was a great read!
Sydelle Prosopio
Read this and was at the edge of my seat and thought it was the best feeling ever! Lol I'm planning on rereading it for fun. I do that type of stuff. Lol
Josh Harris
Laymon is one of my favorite writers, but this was definitely my least favorite by him. The first 3/4 of the book drags. I felt like there were a lot of plot holes. The entire time I was thinking, "All this shit keeps happening while you're camping, maybe you should just go home. GO FUCKING HOME."
Kell
In short, this novel is utter rubbish – a completely pointless collection of gore and sexual perversion with little real flow and, for me, zero enjoyment. It also ended very abruptly and without any real climax. I read a lot of Laymon as a teen, but grew out of them pretty quickly. This is one of the worst of his I’ve read.
Jeremy Boatwright
I love Richard Laymon. He doesn't pull any punched. Sometimes characters lack depth, but if you are reading it, you are in it for the horror aspect. This book delivers. I suggest reading some of his earlier stuff, like the island or funland. He passed away a while back, and was good friends with Dean Koontz.
Mark
Not bad, but this isn't prime Laymon by any means - it's a later novel, meaning that it's padded out and there's a lot of lingering over the naked flesh of pretty ladies (and all ladies are very pretty in Laymon novels). Not the best place to start, out of his ouvre, but not bad as it goes.
Daniel Volpe
This book was decent, but far from great. It didn't get interesting until the middle of the book and I felt like Laymon was just throwing random conflicts in there to make it to the climax (which wasn't very climatic). I really enjoyed his book "Funland", but this was a far cry from that.
DJMikeG
While not one of Laymon's better works, this is still a fast, fun, messed up read. The multiple plotlines don't exactly mesh perfectly and there is one subplot that approaches absurdity, but if you know Laymon, you know what you're in for and will enjoy it.
  • Castaways (Leisure Fiction)
  • Triage
  • Dominion
  • The Black Train
  • The Killing Kind
  • Stranger
  • Live Girls
  • All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By
Richard Laymon was born in Chicago and grew up in California. He earned a BA in English Literature from Willamette University, Oregon and an MA from Loyola University, Los Angeles. He worked as a schoolteacher, a librarian, and a report writer for a law firm, and was the author of more than thirty acclaimed novels.

He also published more than sixty short stories in magazines such as Ellery Queen,...more
More about Richard Laymon...
The Traveling Vampire Show The Cellar Island Endless Night In the Dark