Start by marking “New Tales Of The Cthulhu Mythos” as Want to Read:
New Tales Of The Cthulhu Mythos

New Tales Of The Cthulhu Mythos

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  226 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Original anthology edited and with an introduction by Ramsey Cambell. Collects nine stories including "Crouch End" by Stephen King, and stories by A.A. Attanasio, Basil Cooper, David Drake, T.E.D. Klein, Frank Belknap Long, Brian Lumley, H.P. Lovecraft and Martin S. Warnes.
Published September 22nd 1988 by Grafton (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about New Tales Of The Cthulhu Mythos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Tales Of The Cthulhu Mythos

Majo
Oct 06, 2013 Majo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un genero que personalmente tenia un poco dejado de lado.
Obras como ésta, me hacen pensar que vale la pena ahondar en el "Terror Cósmico".
Oscar
Publicada originalmente en 1980, ‘Nuevos cuentos de los Mitos de Cthulhu’ es una antología que reúne una serie de autores de una segunda generación, cuyos cuentos se ambientan en el desconocido universo creado que H.P. Lovecraft. Lo que buscaba Ramsey Campbell, el encargado de la edición, eran relatos que se alejaran un tanto de la mediocridad en la que había caído el género en los últimos años. Como suele pasar en este tipo de trabajos, la calidad es bastante irregular. La gran mayoría son inte ...more
Ignacio Senao f
Dec 22, 2014 Ignacio Senao f rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buenos autores escribiendo basándose en la creación de Lovecraft. El resultado es estupendo.

Cierto que es irregular, pero es normal que suceda en una recopilación donde King pone su granito, pues pone el listón de un Rey.
Raechel
May 12, 2016 Raechel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of H.P. Lovecraft
This book is an anthology of Lovecraftian-inspired short stories. I was originally loaned it because one of the featured writers is Stephen King. Some of these stories are awkward, some are kinda racist, some are weird, some drag in a few places, and some are creepy. These are all qualities that can be found in some Lovecraft stories.

I read the hardcover of this book and it's very good quality! The art on the cover is interesting and kind of creepy. The paper is surprisingly sturdy, almost like
Laini
The Cthulu Mythos is a universe created by H.P. Lovecraft and which has been used in many novels, films and even computer games. The main idea in this universe is that there were once a race of deities known as The Old Ones who ruled over the world, however they have been asleep for a long long time. Some of these Gods are still worshipped by cults on Earth, and some don't even dwell on our planet. The theory is that these Old Ones will one day awaken from their sleep and destroy humanity.

With t
Terry Clague
Aug 14, 2015 Terry Clague rated it it was ok
A collection of short stories centred around H.P. Lovecraft - a sort of festschrift I guess. I read only one. The reason for my purchase - Stephen King's "Crouch End." Apparently spooked on a visit to the area (though he didn't get lost looking for Dave Stewart or refused a drink in Banners), perhaps he saw the disused railway line or anticipated the number of artisanal coffee shops customed by automaton guardianistas.
Marvin
Nov 21, 2009 Marvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autographed, horror
Good collection of Lovecraftian tales. Editor Ramsey Campbell's objective was to place the Cthulhu Mythos in a more contemporary setting and for the most part he succeeds. The standout stories are Stephen King's "Crouch End", T.E.D. Klein's "Black Man With A Horn", and Campbell's "The Faces at Pine Dune".
H.K. Barclay
Dec 08, 2008 H.K. Barclay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fellow Cthulhu Cult Members
Classic Cthulhu Collection.

I particularly enjoyed 'Black Man With A Horn' by TED Klein.

I am about halfway through the entire Lovecraft cannon, and I must admit it was nice to enjoy some "Lovecraft type" horror without having to endure his cumbersome prose style.

Fabulantes
Jul 29, 2014 Fabulantes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror
Reseña: http://www.fabulantes.com/2012/02/nue...
"Nuevos cuentos de los Mitos de Cthulhu se abre con una dedicatoria a August Derleth, de “cuya idea este libro es deudor”. Afortunadamente, el heterogéneo cónclave de escritores que participó en él decidió ir por libre y hacer las cosas a su manera. Sin demasiadas tutelas históricas."
Daniel
Jul 25, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Irregular antología de R. Campbell. Merece la pena sobre todo por Long, King y, sobre todo, el semiescrito por Lovecraft. Lo que me recuerda que hay que ir a por el tomo de las colaboraciones. Más que los dos oficiales de relatos, son tres los tomos de Valdemar que hay que tener con las obras de ficción de Lovecraft.
Luis Del Aguila
Todos los relatos tienen mitología Lovecraft ; Aunque algunos son un poco burdos para dar a entender que la historia tiene que ver con Cthulhu o Nyarlathotep , los que mas me gustaron son Crouch End de Sthepen king; El segundo Deseo ,y El libro negro de Alsophocus que es un relato del mismo Lovecraft con martin warnes.
Tarl
Oct 19, 2011 Tarl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lovecraftian
There are some pretty big names in this anthology, so I was hoping for some amazing works from them. Instead, I was left with some pretty mild mythos fiction. King does a good job in his story, as does Campbell and a couple others. But the rest left me fighting my way through them just so I could get onto the next story, something I don't normally do when it comes to anthologies. All in all, I found this collection to be only average, hence the three star rating that I gave it. There are better ...more
Aaron Meyer
Nov 18, 2010 Aaron Meyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A really enjoyable set of tales. A few of them I shook my head about but they were not so bad that I outright disliked them. I think the weakest of them was perhaps Shaft Number 247 by Basil Copper, to me at least, sorry Mr. Copper. The best tales though definitely go to The Second Wish by Brian Lumley and Black Man with a Horn by T.E.D. Klein, with Klein at the top. His humor and just the whole way of telling the story just put it at the top for me. David Drake's Than Curse the Darkness and A.A ...more
Paul Mclaughlan
Mixed bag, as you'd imagine of pastiche.
Daniel Carpenter
Worth a read simply for Stephen King's opening story 'Crouch End' and Ramsey Campbell's end story, but the rest is merely filler and some of the writing is absolutely dreadful. Poorly edited too.
Matt Poland
The Stephen King and Brian Lumley stories are particular stand-outs.
Tom Mueller
Some great reads here, as are most Lovecraftian works.
Evgeny Petrov
Dec 07, 2013 Evgeny Petrov rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cthulhu
Boring collection
Alex M
Alex M marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Chris Luedtke
Chris Luedtke marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
P WARNENSKI
P WARNENSKI marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Eddie
Eddie marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Jon Tamblyn
Jon Tamblyn rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
Linda Decker
Linda Decker marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Mark Little
Mark Little marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Andrea Brajković
Andrea Brajković marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Emily Stowers
Emily Stowers marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
gardner seekins
gardner seekins marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
  • The Shub-Niggurath Cycle: Tales of the Black Goat with a Thousand Young (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
  • Black Wings: New Tales of Lovecraftian Horror
  • Nameless Cults: The Complete Cthulhu Mythos Fiction of Robert E. Howard
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • Fruiting Bodies and Other Fungi
  • The Book of Cthulhu II
  • Historical Lovecraft
  • The Watchers Out of Time
  • The Book of Iod: Ten Tales of the Mythos
  • The Grimscribe's Puppets
  • The Trail of Cthulhu
  • The Complete Pegāna: All the Tales Pertaining to the Fabulous Realm of Pegāna
John Ramsey Campbell is a British writer considered by a number of critics to be one of the great masters of horror fiction. T. E. D. Klein has written that "Campbell reigns supreme in the field today," while S. T. Joshi has said that "future generations will regard him as the leading horror writer of our generation, every bit the equal of Lovecraft or Blackwood."
More about Ramsey Campbell...